Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$10,000 Excelsior College Degree
Read an article on this to today.

10K Degree - excelsior.edu

This is the article:

Excelsior College Launches Groundbreaking $10,000 Bachelor
I think it can be done cheaper.....but I like the marketing. There are some CC's in Massachusetts where 10K might not cover a year.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Brilliant marketing. Notice this fine print:

Quote:The cost does not include practice exams ($18-$75)

Also

Quote:This degree option allows you to:

Finish your degree in up to five years.
Prepare for each exam during a six-month window.
Work with an individual academic advisor to determine the best path toward degree completion.
Take credit-bearing exams at a convenient Pearson VUE Testing Center when you are ready.

They are directly marketing a test-out plan. How does their advisor "determine the best path toward degree completion"?

Specific Feedback Forum!!

I suspect one of you is secretly working for EC... hilarious
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
You know I explain the process to people and they seem interested....but I have yet to have anyone follow through. Testing out is legitimate, but folks have trouble wrapping their heads around it. Perhaps this will make it a more approachable route for some. A $10,000 BS/BA is a great deal.

There is always fine print...my favorite lesson....tuition cost is just a starting point! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I suspect one of you is secretly working for EC... hilarious[/QUOTE]

lol... with 10K you can finish about 2 or 3 degree's in one year and still have money to party. Looks like EC is gone fishing and someone will bite. Regardless it beats this girls 100k BA........

Another Debt Crisis Is Brewing, This One in Student Loans - NYTimes.com
I love this thread. Yes 10k seems like a lot of money to all of us savvy degree planners at IC, but for most people, it's a drop in the bucket. I love the idea that an undergrad doesn't have to cost so much that you'll never see an ROI unless you get very lucky. Way to go EC!!!

@rebel - I have also told people about the testing options and have not seen anyone other than DH and DS actually move forward with this. I hate to say it, but not everyone is as motivated and driven as some of us on the site. I don't care to share details of my degree with most people, but we know that our style of degree is only for the incredibly goal-oriented. It's SO hard to stay on task without a teacher and a group of students to check in with. Yes we avoided quite a few homework assignments, but I truly believe that a traditional undergrad is easier from a motivation perspective.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
bldclot2 Wrote:lol... with 10K you can finish about 2 or 3 degree's in one year and still have money to party. Looks like EC is gone fishing and someone will bite. Regardless it beats this girls 100k BA........

Another Debt Crisis Is Brewing, This One in Student Loans - NYTimes.com

This article is interesting and similar to one I saw a while back about a 200k sociology degree. I really think that the amount of student loans provided should be directly related to the earning potential of the graduate. 100k for religious and women's studies? I hate to say it, and I DO feel sorry for this girl, but not that much.... When I was 17, I seriously considered studying nutrition, but then I did some research on the types of jobs and salaries available for nutritionists and quickly dropped the idea. This was back in the early 90's before anyone had access to the internet and I managed to figure out that I didn't want to make 10 bucks an hour to work in a hospital cafeteria. I can't believe that this person didn't know that she couldn't easily get a job with such a worthless degree.

Give the big loans to the programs that net the big salaries. 100k to a surgeon - no problem, engineer? why not.. pharmacy? they'll pay it back no problem! Religious studies??? NO WAY!!! Yikes.. what a waste of time and money. No wonder she can't get a job.

Edit to add: I didn't mean to sound this harsh in my reply... just re-read it lol and I didn't mean to come off as too judgmental on this poor girl with her expensive degree. I blame the lender and the borrower. However, schools are way too costly and people just shouldn't pay big bucks for the lower-salary degrees.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Interesting; thanks for sharing this.

I hope this will have benefits in two ways. The first is making more people aware of and use the credit-by-exam options for completing college degrees. The second is an expansion of EC exam programs with more subjects, so many EC majors (including business and health sciences) can be completed through exams.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Because the government guarantees loan repayment the lender has no economic incentive to exercise some basic due diligence. Therefore they shovel money out the door, which increases the money available for tuition, driving tuition costs through the roof, requiring more loans, etc ad nauseum.

If the lenders had to shoulder even half the burden there would be a sudden change. If you want a business loan you have to show a well-thought-out business plan with ROI. Imagine if students who walked into a bank had to present a five page plan showing the research they've done on a degree path, what the expected earnings are in that field, and how the degree will help them reach that earning potential and therefore enable them to pay back the loan at X% in Y time.

We'd have better fiscal management, lower tuition, and smarter and more dedicated students.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I don't feel sorry for her, because It's so easy to research and figure out that something isn't matching up. She knew all the loans didn't match up to the degree and the real price of the degree I'm sure isn't 100k.

Plus the saga continues........

More on Cortney Munna's Student Loan Tale - NYTimes.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,228 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,363 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,684 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,900 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,786 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,035 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,851 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,340 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627