Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Transcripts
GPA or no GPA, how would one prove which courses landed in the area of study? I've come across a couple of employers that ask for a certain GPA in the area of study, but I don't see how that could be done looking at the TESC transcript that one member uploaded to here. I won't have a GPA with TESC, but I can easily show employers transcripts from other schools. Since I majored in social science, I have credits in criminal justice, sociology, and psychology that landed in free electives, general education, and the major area of study.
I think in this situation I would give the employer a copy of my academic evaluation, it breaks up courses into area of study, divides the GE requirements into sections, shows what was used as an elective, etc. If the issue was that it had to come direct from the school, I would ask if I could demonstrate logging onto student services in front of whoever was making the issue. My own academic evaluation includes grades for the classes I transferred in, so that and a transcript should be enough to satisfy a reasonable person.
TESC BA Social Science: Done! Graduating 12-16-11
133.33 credits, including 1.33 duped

DSST 21cr: 7/12 Intro to World Religions (483) 7/27 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (58) Money and Banking (55) 8/10 DSST: Middle East (71) Vietnam War (68) 8/11 Counseling (60) Substance Abuse (471)

CLEP 51cr: 7/19 Spanish (75) 7/26 Western Civ I (63) Western Civ II (68) College Math (61) 8/2 Intro to Educational Psych (58) Macroeconomics (54) Microeconomics (54) 8/17 Intro Sociology (57) Human Growth (57) Natural Sciences (61) French (55)

Johnson & Wales, Providence RI: 27 credits, 3.27 cum GPA
Cal State University Los Angeles: 25.33 credits, 1.903 cum GPA
Los Angeles Harbor College: 9 credits, 2.77 GPA
I'll try that and see if it'll work. Thank you.
sanantone Wrote:GPA or no GPA, how would one prove which courses landed in the area of study? I've come across a couple of employers that ask for a certain GPA in the area of study, but I don't see how that could be done looking at the TESC transcript that one member uploaded to here. I won't have a GPA with TESC, but I can easily show employers transcripts from other schools. Since I majored in social science, I have credits in criminal justice, sociology, and psychology that landed in free electives, general education, and the major area of study.

Just for reference, most transcripts don't indicate what courses were applied to an area of study, major or minor. In fact, I've never seen it done.

Also, it's not unusual for the major gpa to NOT be listed on a transcript.
I know this, but I'm assuming that if you have a psychology degree, then employers will look for a psychology course code; or if you have a business degree, it's pretty obvious which courses are business courses. My social science courses aren't so obvious because some of my criminal justice courses were considered social science and some weren't; and, social science is also an area that is always included in general education. Also, TESC does not put the course equivalencies on the transcripts like at two of the community colleges I attended. I have a DAAC course that is the equivalent of TESC's SOS Substance Abuse and I have a human resource course that was counted as a psychology course, but that will not be noted on the transcript. Another thing TESC does differently is that is do not list the grades of the transfer courses; of course, this could be remedied by showing my other transcripts. But I took a look at my other transcripts and, even though they did not include my transfer courses in the calculation of my institutional GPA, they did list the letter grades on the transcript. TESC's unofficial transcript that is on Online Student Services looks more like the other transcripts I have than TESC's official transcript format. What will be annoying is that I will have to show employers several transcripts with the letter grades and point out which courses from each were included in the area of study because my credits came from several different sources. It would be nice if my TESC transcript just included everything like at the two CCs I attended. I'm seriously thinking about sending the credits I've accumulate since leaving one of my CCs to that CC just so they can evaluate them and include them on my transcript. In that way, I will have all of my grades in one place and I will only have to show employers my TESC transcript or diploma and one CC transcript instead of a total of five from all of the colleges I've attended.
This is very interesting. Now I'm curious to see what an official transcript looks like.

I found this on the TESC website:
Undergraduate Academic Policies - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢

All credits evaluated by the College will appear on the transcript.

If a student repeats a course for a better grade after this point, the course
with the better grade may be added to the transcript, but the course with the lower grade cannot be removed. Transcripts are provided to students who are enrolled students, graduates or were a previously enrolled student. Applicants are not entitled to a Thomas Edison State College transcript, except for courses they have taken with the College as a non-matriculated student.

Transfer credits will be identified by department code, course number, course
title and credits.

Examination credits will be identified by the name of the program, title of the
examination and credits. Examples of testing programs include TECEP®, CLEP and DANTES.

Thomas Edison State College credits will be identified by the title of the
course, credits, grade and term completed. Courses with a grade of F, W
(Withdrawn), IF (Incomplete Failure), NC (No Credit) or E (Extension) will not
be transcripted.

Other assessment credits will be identified by the name of the program, course (equivalent) title and credits.

Examples of such assessments include the American Council on Education's (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service and military training programs.

Transcripts will be issued by the Office of the Registrar upon the written
request of the student. Students must be in good financial standing before a
transcript may be issued. Transcripts may be issued at any time during or after completion of a degree.
SandraNC Wrote:This is very interesting. Now I'm curious to see what an official transcript looks like.

clep101 posted a copy of his transcript
http://www.degreeforum.net/98161-post8.html

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
sanantone Wrote:Also, TESC does not put the course equivalencies on the transcripts like at two of the community colleges I attended.

Does your transcript look like the one CLEP101 posted (link in bricabrac's post)? The course equivalencies for tests are in the left hand column under the heading "Course."
Are all of those course equivalencies? I know they are for the CLEPs and DSSTs, but TESC has AOJ courses instead of CJ. The course code for English Composition at TESC is ENC instead of ENGL.
I see what you mean. It looks like the credit-by-exam is given an equivalency, but not the transferred courses. I wonder why?

That might make a difference to us. My son was given UL credit for a community college class and I was hoping it would show up as UL on the transcript. It looks like it won't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged) camjenks 5 1,613 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  TESU doesn't accept ACE transcripts of Study.com courses? jsh1138 35 8,053 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tekplay99
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,161 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  COSC & Straighterline Transcripts MichiganMax 4 1,543 01-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,958 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,298 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,744 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,701 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone