Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
109 credits in 10 months
Congratulations on finishing!!

I agree with others, and would underscore that an email blast approach is futile. Instead of 300 online applications, you need 4-5 meaningful conversations.

Also, I hate to say this, but I can't think of many careers that don't expect you to work your way up into roles with more responsibility (more income). I realize you don't want to take a lower-paying job at your age, but look at it as an investment. I don't know this specific industry, but if you don't get something soon, perhaps you can do an unpaid internship at least part-time. It doesn't even have to be advertised as an internship, you can create an opportunity for yourself by offering your services (as a bookkeeper maybe?) free of charge to a cause or organization that you're passionate about. Finding purpose and meaning in your work will do wonders for your self-esteem and confidence. (and, you'll network, and you'll get experience, and you'll have something to put on your resume for this time frame)
As an example, 4 years ago, I was asked to do a presentation (free) for our library that has turned into a wonderful relationship with many branches and though I do this only 8 times per year, it's a wonderful entry on my resume. It keeps me doing public speaking during dry spells and allows me to serve a part of my community in a different way. That experience has generated dozens of opportunities for giving that same type of presentation to an audience that pays. I didn't know that when I started, it built over time.

Good luck!
Congratulations on finishing! You live in a wonderfull area. I hope you find a job soon.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
(10-23-2019, 11:32 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I would do it again- part of me wants to go back and do cyber security or IT. 

An IT degree in combination with an Accounting degree is a great idea.  ERP development and admin is a difficult to recruit.  There aren't many candidates who have both accounting and IT backgrounds required.  This is my field, and I've never have to worry about there being a shortage of jobs since moving into it.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University
(10-27-2019, 05:28 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Congratulations on finishing!!

I agree with others, and would underscore that an email blast approach is futile.  Instead of 300 online applications, you need 4-5 meaningful conversations.  

Also, I hate to say this, but I can't think of many careers that don't expect you to work your way up into roles with more responsibility (more income).  I realize you don't want to take a lower-paying job at your age, but look at it as an investment.  I don't know this specific industry, but if you don't get something soon, perhaps you can do an unpaid internship at least part-time. It doesn't even have to be advertised as an internship, you can create an opportunity for yourself by offering your services (as a bookkeeper maybe?) free of charge to a cause or organization that you're passionate about.  Finding purpose and meaning in your work will do wonders for your self-esteem and confidence. (and, you'll network, and you'll get experience, and you'll have something to put on your resume for this time frame)  
As an example, 4 years ago, I was asked to do a presentation (free) for our library that has turned into a wonderful relationship with many branches and though I do this only 8 times per year, it's a wonderful entry on my resume. It keeps me doing public speaking during dry spells and allows me to serve a part of my community in a different way.  That experience has generated dozens of opportunities for giving that same type of presentation to an audience that pays.  I didn't know that when I started, it built over time.

Good luck!

You've misunderstood me- I would literally take ANY job even accounting contingent. I wasn't selected for the $9 an hour job, that went to someone with experience and a masters degree. I've applied to unpaid internships and wasn't selected. 

The biggest problem with my resume is that my name is Jennifer. When I put my husband's name, I get calls. When I put an initial, I get calls. Sorry, I'm feeling particularly bitter today. Just got rejected from another $9 an hour job as a materials handler. I know I only got called for an interview because I put J. as my name instead of Jennifer. When they called for the phone screening, they had no questions for me as soon as they heard my voice. The job had some light accounts payable, but, I was an inventory manager when I lived up north, so I'd done this stuff before. I wasn't selected for a $9 an hour job that required no experience because there was a 'better qualified candidate'.

As far as public speaking goes- I worked at the local library and have taught tech programs like how to use a green screen and craft programs like beginning sewing on a pretty much weekly basis for 4 years. I used powerpoint for my presentations- also did some presentations for seniors on how to use their Kindle and Nook and so on. I'm an active volunteer with a couple local organizations. I'm an active book reviewer and get sent Advanced Reader Copies of books from publishers to review before their release. I'm out there- it's just one of those things where anyone connected to me assumes that everyone wants to hire me. Nobody can believe that I don't have a job yet- they assume the same thing, that I'm being too picky.

It's just that where I live none of that stuff is valued at all.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(10-23-2019, 08:05 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I haven't been here much since I originally popped in and asked a pile of questions about degree paths- but, I thought I would stop in and say that I finally finished my BS in Accounting from WGU. It's been an utterly grueling 10 months, I worked full time up until a week ago. I quit last week when my boss decided to start requiring 55 hours per week and I was freaking out that I wouldn't be able to finish my capstone on time. (It was a call center, sales job) So, I did have a week off from work to do my capstone, but the rest was done with a full time job and family obligations. I did one term at WGU, but, got a 4 week extension to finish my capstone. 

I took some CLEP, some Straighterline and then the rest through WGU. You can see the breakdown in my signature. My brick and mortar college credits were from years ago, but, everything else was since December of last year. 

I'm not completely sure that a college degree will actually help me out all that much unless I relocate- I've applied to hundreds of jobs over the last several months. Actually went in for an interview for an inventory manager position today and was offered a part time cashier job at $9 an hour. But, I digress. lol I will say that I am getting a lot more interviews now, most of them are just rubbishy bait and switch where I'm supposed to be interviewing for a management role or clerk role and then it turns into a $9 an hour secretary offer, but, I am getting a lot more interviews. So, should be able to land something decent eventually. 

Just thought I'd share in the event that someone else wanted to attempt. Doing the bulk of an accounting degree in one term was definitely a lot. I had no experience in accounting, but, my time spent in lower level retail management did come in handy for some of the general business courses. I'm thrilled to be done, but, I'll be starting the masters in accounting at WGU in December, also with the goal of being finished in one term.

A bachelor's degree in accounting is VALUABLE. Go to a staffing agency and submit your resume and they will get you a job. Maybe it's not possible with your location, though.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(10-28-2019, 12:03 PM)udi Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 08:05 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I haven't been here much since I originally popped in and asked a pile of questions about degree paths- but, I thought I would stop in and say that I finally finished my BS in Accounting from WGU. It's been an utterly grueling 10 months, I worked full time up until a week ago. I quit last week when my boss decided to start requiring 55 hours per week and I was freaking out that I wouldn't be able to finish my capstone on time. (It was a call center, sales job) So, I did have a week off from work to do my capstone, but the rest was done with a full time job and family obligations. I did one term at WGU, but, got a 4 week extension to finish my capstone. 

I took some CLEP, some Straighterline and then the rest through WGU. You can see the breakdown in my signature. My brick and mortar college credits were from years ago, but, everything else was since December of last year. 

I'm not completely sure that a college degree will actually help me out all that much unless I relocate- I've applied to hundreds of jobs over the last several months. Actually went in for an interview for an inventory manager position today and was offered a part time cashier job at $9 an hour. But, I digress. lol I will say that I am getting a lot more interviews now, most of them are just rubbishy bait and switch where I'm supposed to be interviewing for a management role or clerk role and then it turns into a $9 an hour secretary offer, but, I am getting a lot more interviews. So, should be able to land something decent eventually. 

Just thought I'd share in the event that someone else wanted to attempt. Doing the bulk of an accounting degree in one term was definitely a lot. I had no experience in accounting, but, my time spent in lower level retail management did come in handy for some of the general business courses. I'm thrilled to be done, but, I'll be starting the masters in accounting at WGU in December, also with the goal of being finished in one term.

A bachelor's degree in accounting is VALUABLE. Go to a staffing agency and submit your resume and they will get you a job. Maybe it's not possible with your location, though.

Yeah, it's definitely a location issue. I know they are valuable. All the local staffing agencies have my resume on file- one of them was honest with me and told me I would never find a job here. She said she can't place people with experience and advanced degrees. I just have to get my husband on board with a move and try not to get too bitter or take it too personally in the meantime. Smile
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
(10-28-2019, 11:49 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

I agree with others, and would underscore that an email blast approach is futile.  Instead of 300 online applications, you need 4-5 meaningful conversations.  

Also, I hate to say this, but I can't think of many careers that don't expect you to work your way up into roles with more responsibility (more income).  I realize you don't want to take a lower-paying job at your age, but look at it as an investment.  I don't know this specific industry, but if you don't get something soon, perhaps you can do an unpaid internship at least part-time. It doesn't even have to be advertised as an internship, you can create an opportunity for yourself by offering your services (as a bookkeeper maybe?) free of charge to a cause or organization that you're passionate about.  Finding purpose and meaning in your work will do wonders for your self-esteem and confidence. (and, you'll network, and you'll get experience, and you'll have something to put on your resume for this time frame)  
As an example, 4 years ago, I was asked to do a presentation (free) for our library that has turned into a wonderful relationship with many branches and though I do this only 8 times per year, it's a wonderful entry on my resume. It keeps me doing public speaking during dry spells and allows me to serve a part of my community in a different way.  That experience has generated dozens of opportunities for giving that same type of presentation to an audience that pays.  I didn't know that when I started, it built over time.

Good luck!

You've misunderstood me- I would literally take ANY job even accounting contingent. I wasn't selected for the $9 an hour job, that went to someone with experience and a masters degree. I've applied to unpaid internships and wasn't selected. 

The biggest problem with my resume is that my name is Jennifer. When I put my husband's name, I get calls. When I put an initial, I get calls. Sorry, I'm feeling particularly bitter today. Just got rejected from another $9 an hour job as a materials handler. I know I only got called for an interview because I put J. as my name instead of Jennifer. When they called for the phone screening, they had no questions for me as soon as they heard my voice. The job had some light accounts payable, but, I was an inventory manager when I lived up north, so I'd done this stuff before. I wasn't selected for a $9 an hour job that required no experience because there was a 'better qualified candidate'.

As far as public speaking goes- I worked at the local library and have taught tech programs like how to use a green screen and craft programs like beginning sewing on a pretty much weekly basis for 4 years. I used powerpoint for my presentations- also did some presentations for seniors on how to use their Kindle and Nook and so on. I'm an active volunteer with a couple local organizations. I'm an active book reviewer and get sent Advanced Reader Copies of books from publishers to review before their release. I'm out there- it's just one of those things where anyone connected to me assumes that everyone wants to hire me. Nobody can believe that I don't have a job yet- they assume the same thing, that I'm being too picky.

Ok, now I have to ask - where in the heck do you live?  I've never even heard of women not being able to get jobs at this point, that's just crazy.  You must live in Timbuktu to have that be the case - it certainly isn't in any of the cities I've heard of in FL (and I have relatives that live there, and yes, the women have jobs).

With Accounting especially, way more women than men work in accounting.  I worked in it for years, the women outnumbered the men 20:1 - men were only in the highest level roles, and even then, women were managers and directors and VP's.

I find it VERY hard to believe there are NO jobs for women in FL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-28-2019, 06:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 11:49 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

Good luck!

Ok, now I have to ask - where in the heck do you live?  I've never even heard of women not being able to get jobs at this point, that's just crazy.  You must live in Timbuktu to have that be the case - it certainly isn't in any of the cities I've heard of in FL (and I have relatives that live there, and yes, the women have jobs).

With Accounting especially, way more women than men work in accounting.  I worked in it for years, the women outnumbered the men 20:1 - men were only in the highest level roles, and even then, women were managers and directors and VP's.

I find it VERY hard to believe there are NO jobs for women in FL.

I wish I could just be bold enough to blurt out my city online and then you could have fun looking up the individual firms. lol 

Hopefully it won't matter much longer anyways. I just need to get a job offer anywhere else and we'll just list the house and be done with this area for good. It's a wonderful place to vacation- but not a good place to live. The job I'm interviewing for tomorrow doesn't even offer health insurance, neither does my spouse's employer.
Sophia(2 credits)
Congratulations! Impressive effort and progress. I wish you much success in future too.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Congratulations on your degree. I'm struggling with Intermediate Accounting through TESU. I've had to resort to watching a lot of youtube videos because the slides and book are just dry and leave a lot to be desired.
I live in California and from what I see there are a lot of job openings for Accounting. I saw one guy who was hiring Accounting Students for an entry level job he required an A or B in the two introductory accounting classes. My guess is some sort of low level book keeping.
I just got a new manager who came in with a High School Diploma and he is like 32. He got hired as a supervisor, then when a manager retired a different and smaller operation nearby he got promoted to manager. All of this happened within six months. One of the luckiest dudes I've ever seen since the pay is higher and since the operation is smaller the stress is lower.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,195 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,789 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,525 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,767 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,648 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 870 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee