Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
131 credits transfer AMA!
Ask any questions about transferring classes! I have taken credits through dsst, clep, cc, sophia, and study.com! I only need a few more credits to finish out my bachelors degree in computer science! I know there is not too much information out there about the bacs from tesu so if there is anything needed to know about taking the accuplacer entrance exam, the transcript process, or taking 5 study.com courses in cs in one month now is the time! I want to pay back the forum for helping me so much so I will return to sender with all my knowledge.

Attached Files
.png   Capture.PNG (Size: 31.03 KB / Downloads: 46)
Are you completely testing out of the degree (except the capstone/cornerstone, of course)? If not, what did you have to take? If so, were any of the CLEP exams a required part of your degree plan or did you take them for electives?

I want a CS degree but CLEP is out of the question and probably DSST, too, so any insight would be appreciated.
(07-24-2020, 11:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Are you completely testing out of the degree (except the capstone/cornerstone, of course)? If not, what did you have to take? If so, were any of the CLEP exams a required part of your degree plan or did you take them for electives?

I want a CS degree but CLEP is out of the question and probably DSST, too, so any insight would be appreciated.
Originally I was going to test out but decided otherwise because I didnt want to pay the residency waiver, so alot of my credits are electives. Financial aid plus scholarships I will take 16/17 credits at tesu to avoid the fee and go debt free. Lots of the cleps were useful to finish requirements like American gov and sociology but others like the literatures were not necessarily but since cleo is free i wanted to take it. Test centers are opening up again for noe take advantage of them!
Unfortunately, I'm in Europe, so I can't take advantage of open testing centers in the US! There are no testing centers in the surrounding countries that I'd be allowed to access.

I've also been thinking about taking classes at TESU to avoid the residency waiver. Which ones did you opt to take at TESU vs. transferring in?
(07-24-2020, 11:30 AM)maxxor6868 Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 11:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Are you completely testing out of the degree (except the capstone/cornerstone, of course)? If not, what did you have to take? If so, were any of the CLEP exams a required part of your degree plan or did you take them for electives?

Originally I was going to test out but decided otherwise because I didnt want to pay the residency waiver, so alot of my credits are electives. Financial aid plus scholarships I will take 16/17 credits at tesu to avoid the fee and go debt free. Lots of the cleps were useful to finish requirements like American gov and sociology but others like the literatures were not necessarily but since cleo is free i wanted to take it. Test centers are opening up again for noe take advantage of them!

Depends where you're located with regards to test centers opening up. I'm in NY and none in my area have reopened. They're located at colleges which are still closed. Even the campuses that reopen in the fall won't be open to the general public. I can't even use my fitness center pass at the college here because I'm not a student or staff. Totally stinks!

So you found it cheaper ot take 16 credits @ TESU than to pay the fee waiver? Interesting. I didn't think there was much of a cost difference.
(07-24-2020, 03:11 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: So you found it cheaper ot take 16 credits @ TESU than to pay the fee waiver? Interesting. I didn't think there was much of a cost difference.

The waiver is $3192. 6 credits at out of state rates are $3114. 6 credits at in-state rates are $2394. So you pay $6306 for out of state or $5596 for in-state tuition.

One term of flat-rate tuition is $4639 out-of-state tuition or $3579 in-state.

Taking one term of flat-rate tuition thus saves you $1667 if you're out of state or $2107 if you're in-state.

That's a heck of a lot of coursework to do at once, though, and it's not going to be for everyone.
(07-24-2020, 11:36 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Unfortunately, I'm in Europe, so I can't take advantage of open testing centers in the US! There are no testing centers in the surrounding countries that I'd be allowed to access.

I've also been thinking about taking classes at TESU to avoid the residency waiver. Which ones did you opt to take at TESU  vs. transferring in?
Software engineering at tesu because study.com is low level, caostone, cornerstone, social psychology, and maybe calc 1 through them. I never got the chance to clep it out and test centers might not open up here anytime soon.

(07-24-2020, 03:11 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote:

So you found it cheaper ot take 16 credits @ TESU than to pay the fee waiver? Interesting. I didn't think there was much of a cost difference.
Its free for me i just have to pay the graudation fee.

(07-24-2020, 03:32 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 03:11 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: So you found it cheaper ot take 16 credits @ TESU than to pay the fee waiver? Interesting. I didn't think there was much of a cost difference.

The waiver is $3192. 6 credits at out of state rates are $3114. 6 credits at in-state rates are $2394. So you pay $6306 for out of state or $5596 for in-state tuition.

One term of flat-rate tuition is $4639 out-of-state tuition or $3579 in-state.

Taking one term of flat-rate tuition thus saves you $1667 if you're out of state or $2107 if you're in-state.

That's a heck of a lot of coursework to do at once, though, and it's not going to be for everyone.
I am stretching it out 2 classes a term for three terms so I can use pell grant for all three terms. Less coursework, graduate in one year (better than 4 years typically), not paying the residency waiver, and I can take my time.

(07-24-2020, 03:11 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote:

6 credits is full time at tesu. I need 16 credits so 6 credits each quarter for three quarters is 18 credits which covers the waiver, and nets me virtually a free degree in one year. Now I could do it all in one term but 16 credits is a lot in one term and I work fulltime in retail would be too much pressure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes maxxor6868's post:
  • rachel83az
Recently I have decided to get my college degree for computer science. I took advantage of the sophia offering but I found out late and was only able to finish 3 courses for 9 credits so I got a long way to go. I was wondering if you knew anything about how the portfolio assessment part work. I'm a self taught software engineer and work for a large tech company as a senior web developer so I know a lot about computer science already. While I don't actually need a degree, I always wanted to go to college and never had the opportunity to do so. I know going with this route isn't like going to college but it's my way to accomplish something that I always wanted to do. I appreciate any info you can share as it will help in making my plans. thanks
(08-01-2020, 08:43 PM)mt91 Wrote: Recently I have decided to get my college degree for computer science. I took advantage of the sophia offering but I found out late and was only able to finish 3 courses for 9 credits so I got a long way to go. I was wondering if you knew anything about how the portfolio assessment part work. I'm a self taught software engineer and work for a large tech company as a senior web developer so I know a lot about computer science already. While I don't actually need a degree, I always wanted to go to college and never had the opportunity to do so. I know going with this route isn't like going to college but it's my way to accomplish something that I always wanted to do. I appreciate any info you can share as it will help in making my plans. thanks
Np with study.com you can basically test outta all the courses for cs you need. Use my template for cs degree to earn it quickly. With all your knowledge it wouldn't be hard to earn credit. Self assessment takes a good while but basically your just submitting personal projects and earn credit. For example a website composing of html css and javascript can net you credit for wen development. I didnt so it for tesu but ny local cc did.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 226 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,577 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 962 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 470 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 693 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 497 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz