Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$140 total for 20 credits of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a slam dunk
20 credits $140 Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a slam dunk

Have your graduated from a Law Enforcement, Corrections, or Military Police Academy?  Check out the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) options.  You could qualify for up to 20 college credits once you submit proof (A certificate or diploma) of training completion.  At $140 total this is a steal.
https://justice.highline.edu/programs/pr...ssessment/

Credits show up as Highline College credits as:
CJ 101 Intro to Criminal Justice, CR, 5.0
CJ 101 awarded for OCC Crosswalk

PLA is also two another PLA options, and I think the straightest forward of any that I know of.
https://pla.highline.edu/How.do.I.start.php
Certifications and Institutionally Recognized Equivalency, $35/credit
Course Outcomes Assessment, $35/Credit

PLA credits ($35/credit) show up as Highline College credits as:
PLA *CJ 101 Intro to Criminal Justice, CR, 5.0
https://pla.highline.edu/How.Much.Does.PLA.Cost.php

I did this crosswalk or some credits. These are quarter-hour college credits.  Dr. Stephen “Steve” Lettic, Department Head, is an Instructor but also a retired Cop who knows his field and has common sense. Smile   I enjoyed dealing with him.  I am an out-of-state student, and Highline College treated me excellent.  It cost me $523.26 for an out-of-state four credit class online.  The discussions with some of the HC young students in the CJ123 course was the best that I had online. 

I ended up with three Certificates.  I did have to do a petition for the Homeland Security degree (crosswalk credits).  I was granted the right to use them all.
Certificate in Homeland Security……..$1,468.26 (31 total credits)
Certificate of Arts and Science (CAS)……..FREE
Unofficial Highline College 30 (Credits) Milestone Certificate……….FREE

Highline College of the Seattle area, Washington is a public college.  It is a former community college now granted to do some BAS degrees.  Washington is progressive with both crosswalk and PLA college credits.  They also have some BAS degrees. 

If they ever come out with the Certificate in Maritime Security I may take it.
https://justice.highline.edu/programs/ce...-security/
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 3 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • cookderosa, eriehiker, Yenisei
Outstanding find!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toastmaster's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Congrats on your certificate in Homeland Security. Nice one!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Thank you for finding this. Could you give us a little more information and the Homeland Sercurity Certificate? Did you have to take any classes through the history college and what classes did you take in the past that met the requirements for the certificate. Did you only have to take the one course you took?

I have completed the MP requirement and the Federal Basic Corrections PLA items. Along with other Criminal Justice classes but the names of courses they are using are different then what I recognize.

Thanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes KUJO's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(05-13-2018, 04:36 AM)KUJO Wrote: Thank you for finding this. Could you give us a little more information and the Homeland Sercurity Certificate? Did you have to take any classes through the history college and what classes did you take in the past that met the requirements for the certificate. Did you only have to take the one course you took?

I have completed the MP requirement and the Federal Basic Corrections PLA items. Along with other Criminal Justice classes but the names of courses they are using are different then what I recognize.

Thanks

KUJO,

I have tons of emergency management and homeland security and other industry pieces of training like professional certifications.  Initially, I did not go after any Certificate at HC.  I just wanted to try some PLA and Crosswalk based on my EM background to use at Highline College (HC) and maybe Excelsior College.  Online HC says an AAS in EM is coming (but still not there).  I paid the higher $35/credit not the $140/20 credits for PLA and Crosswalk.  6 months after I did the PLA at HC I woke up and saw that my oddball credits were almost the Certificate in HLS.  You are right that the $140/20 credits are NOT the same as in the HLS Certificate.

I started last year and I was only missing one course under that year catalog.  Today I would have been missing two classes short as the new catalog added a class.  I emailed the college that if I took the last class for a grade would I be eligible?  They said I needed to write a petition to the official college board so I did.  I did NOT expect the Board would say yes.  Even with a No, I was still excited about the Highline College opportunity to do PLA and Crosswalk.    One month later I got an email saying the Board said I could use all my credits.  

I still plan to check with HC every year to see if they added the Marine Security Certificate.  I would love that one also.  Not sure what classes they might require?  I had an overall great experience at HC.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(05-12-2018, 09:20 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: 20 credits $140 Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a slam dunk

Have your graduated from a Law Enforcement, Corrections, or Military Police Academy?  Check out the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) options.  You could qualify for up to 20 college credits once you submit proof (A certificate or diploma) of training completion.  At $140 total this is a steal.
https://justice.highline.edu/programs/pr...ssessment/

Credits show up as Highline College credits as:
CJ 101 Intro to Criminal Justice, CR, 5.0
CJ 101 awarded for OCC Crosswalk

PLA is also two another PLA options, and I think the straightest forward of any that I know of.
https://pla.highline.edu/How.do.I.start.php
Certifications and Institutionally Recognized Equivalency, $35/credit
Course Outcomes Assessment, $35/Credit

PLA credits ($35/credit) show up as Highline College credits as:
PLA *CJ 101 Intro to Criminal Justice, CR, 5.0
https://pla.highline.edu/How.Much.Does.PLA.Cost.php

I did this crosswalk or some credits. These are quarter-hour college credits.  Dr. Stephen “Steve” Lettic, Department Head, is an Instructor but also a retired Cop who knows his field and has common sense. Smile   I enjoyed dealing with him.  I am an out-of-state student, and Highline College treated me excellent.  It cost me $523.26 for an out-of-state four credit class online.  The discussions with some of the HC young students in the CJ123 course was the best that I had online. 

I ended up with three Certificates.  I did have to do a petition for the Homeland Security degree (crosswalk credits).  I was granted the right to use them all.
Certificate in Homeland Security……..$1,468.26 (31 total credits)
Certificate of Arts and Science (CAS)……..FREE
Unofficial Highline College 30 (Credits) Milestone Certificate……….FREE

Highline College of the Seattle area, Washington is a public college.  It is a former community college now granted to do some BAS degrees.  Washington is progressive with both crosswalk and PLA college credits.  They also have some BAS degrees. 

If they ever come out with the Certificate in Maritime Security I may take it.
https://justice.highline.edu/programs/ce...-security/

Does Highline accept ACE credit?  YES Do they have a residency requirement? YES 
I spent a few minutes looking around and they have an AAS in Personal Fitness Training. My youngest is currently attending a local 10 month, very hands on, nationally accredited program in PFT that has an amazing reputation locally and it's graduates are sought after for employment.  He does want to get an associates after he is finished but our local CC doesn't do PLA, won't accept ACE, and will not accept NA credits, so he was feeling discouraged about that.  I will investigate more.  THANK YOU for sharing! Smile

After taking a closer look, I answered my own questions. This is definitely worth looking into for PLA and other reasons. Thank You for sharing, I have not heard of them before!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • Life Long Learning
You should look at PLA at Edmonds Community College also!

Pam LeMay
Director of Special Academic Programs
PLA at Edmonds Community College
http://www.edcc.edu/priorlearning/faq.html

Pam is excellent.  PLA is considered RESIDENT credit there!  That is huge.

I started at Edmonds Community College but transferred to Highline College.  The reason is Pam is great, but the Edmonds Community College department head that I needed was not.  I had one who is not an expert in my field, and his prior college was in Oregon (a regressive education model).  He wanted nothing to do with PLA.  Just because a college has it as an opportunity like PLA does not mean a layer in the bureaucracy will allow it.

See if Edmonds Community College has that degree program?  Ask Pam if that department head is PLA friendly?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,471 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,912 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 669 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 273 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,229 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 493 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,085 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 366 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,324 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 388 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az