Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Frustrated and Upset with EC - Seeking Advice & a Little Venting!
Ok, so I'm very frustrated with EC right now. I'm down to the wire of them approving me for graduation with my BSHS. After being in the program for about 10 months and having some old B&M credits applied and approved through several transcript evals they suddenly said they had to remove them because they were remedial credits, these were 9 credits for an EMT certification course and refresher course. Mind you my follow-up refresher course was approved and applied. I wasn't happy, but what could I do?
Now I completed my last course with them and suddenly they applied the 5 credits from an old nursing exam I had removed from my transcript during matriculation suddenly reappeared and my GPA sunk because of this "C" graded 5 credit exam that wasn't supposed to be on my transcript. They won't remove it, saying I need the credits because they removed the 6 credit EMT course, but I have been told repeatedly through several evals and summaries I'm good to go and no where was this "extra" credit stated as needed. In fact several emails were exchanged about my concern with their summary that I would finish with just 119.66 credits instead of 120. I asked if I needed to take another course to fill the remaining .34 credits. I was told not to worry, EC would approve me and give me my degree with the .34 deficit, they have a policy to float .50 credits or less. Now their latest eval shows me graduating with 124.66 credits. Needless to say I'm furious! They say I'm short 5 health science credits, so the nursing exam was reapplied. But it took them all this time to realize this?

I'm wondering if I can fight them removing my EMT credits since this course, certification and experience is a requirement to get into the AAS paramedic degree program, however back when I took this course it was a terminal certification, no degree was offered. But truly the course content hasn't changed much at all since becoming part of the degree program.

I know they can decide up to graduation what credits to accept, but if a student relies on their evaluations throughout their program it isn't fair to suddenly change the game at the end! Should I fight it, take some other exams or another course to replace the nursing credits or just say what the h***, just let it ride? I'm already in grad school and have a 4.0 average, so this GPA probably won't matter anyway? I also have a BSLS with a 3.27 GPA, but this one is more in my profession and I was hoping for a 3.5 GPA instead of the crappy 3.20 GPA I now sit with. I have made all A's and B's since being back in school the last 2 years, but some of my lousy old B&M grades are tanking me, so I was hoping this GPA would look better to my employer (a college).

Is this just not worth the fight and headaches? I could try to get them to accept my 30 years of job experience for credit, but that would mean going through the portfolio process and that isn't worth it.

UGH! I'm so glad I'm almost done with EC, but this just bites since it is their mistake and now my headache. The fact that they made this mistake several times over, just ticks me off. I also had 2 advisors do my evals, so go figure that they both missed it.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm looking for advice on what I should do. My instinct is to fight and stick to my guns, but I also just want to be done and focus on grad school. I'm turning to my faithful, knowledgable friends here for some guideance.

Thanks!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Well, I only have one small piece of advice. When I see terms like "fight" and "stick to my guns" I get the sense that your approach to this problem may be a little too aggressive. I know it's subtle, but there's a difference in approaching a problem to resolve it, vs. fighting it.

I would calmly put forth your strongest points (one of which is the alleged necessity of bringing in these old grades you never expected to see again) in an efficient email to whomever is next highest on the advisory food chain. I wouldn't even elude to the problems or BS explanations you've already received specifically. I would just say that there seems to be some confusion and I would like your help resolving this in a way that will work for both of us. This is likely beyond the skill level of the rank and file but I would bet that there is someone there that can make this all go away. Good luck.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,964 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,149 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,126 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,405 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  Looking for advice about finishing my degree needdegree123 20 3,008 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie seeking advice please AJ127 4 1,676 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Last Post: AJ127
  Canadian Looking for Degree Advice Dr. Canuck 14 3,161 04-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on TESU degree plan Tripletmom 1 1,056 04-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degree Completion Advice ChasingDegrees 6 1,926 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Advice about TESU (Expiring soon) BigDad92 7 1,865 02-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Last Post: scaffdog