Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15% and 50% who start college finish with BS.
15% and 50% who start college finish with BS.

According to Hout, about what percentage of people who start their college education at a community college finish with a bachelor's degree?....15%

According to Hout, about what percentage of people who start their college education at a 4-year college or university actually finish with a bachelor's degree?.....50%

This is in the Stanford Online course that is FREE called "America's Poverty and Inequality Course" and it is self-paced. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • cookderosa
I would guess that a lot of people who start at a CC were never actually going for a 4-yr degree in the first place. I know my daughter has zero interest in going to college for any more than it takes to get a certificate and get the heck out of there. She hates school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
At least in CA, a lot of people end of at CC by default. They vaguely know they either need to go to college or go to work, but have no idea what they are really want to do. So they sign up for CC because it's cheap and they don't have to commit to anything. My daughter is tutoring at a local CC this year, and a lot of her students are obviously not ready to get their bachelor's, so it's not surprising that they don't follow through.

Heck, I bet most the people who show up here went to CC and didn't get their bachelor's degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-17-2018, 02:39 PM)davewill Wrote: At least in CA, a lot of people end of at CC by default. They vaguely know they either need to go to college or go to work, but have no idea what they are really want to do. So they sign up for CC because it's cheap and they don't have to commit to anything. My daughter is tutoring at a local CC this year, and a lot of her students are obviously not ready to get their bachelor's, so it's not surprising that they don't follow through.

Heck, I bet most the people who show up here went to CC and didn't get their bachelor's degree.

Yep, I'm in CA and I entered CC right after high school and didn't get that far since I didn't enjoy it. I was far more interested in learning on my own.

I ended up dropping out to focus on building my own company.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Yes, for those of us who live in a state where CC is cheap (or even free), a huge percentage of kids go on to CC immediately after HS. Here in CA, at roughly $750/semester if you don't qualify for any grants (so full price), it's a steal.

My local CC has a grant that gives free tuition and $500 for books for the first 2 semesters of CC if you graduate (and have gone for 4 years) to a list of high schools, and 4 free semesters from a particular school district (that the CC is in). The grant is not need-based, so ALL kids can go for free. Let's not even mention that they have satellite campuses that make it extremely convenient to take classes (the one here is in a converted strip mall in the center of town, basically equidistant between all 3 large high schools; others are equally convenient to the high schools in each area).

So yes, a LOT of our kids are going to CC, because why wouldn't they? I don't know of a single kid in the last few years that wasn't going to at least take a shot at a semester or two of CC here in my town.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
From my CC teaching days, it was COMMON for students who qualified for a Pell Grant to enroll for the cash. Our tuition was about $75/credit, so a full load was 12, 12, 6 or 15 & 15. I could always tell the students because they never bought the textbooks (they wanted the cash for themselves).

Back then a full Pell was about $5000 for the year, but the tuition for the year was only about half that. Each semester you stayed in, you'd get a check for about $1000 and one for $500 in the summer. You can do that for 6 years, used to be longer. We also had (they still have) grant-funded daycare, as well as transportation to and from the campus. Now that online classes are available, you don't even need to come to campus.
I'm not sure I want to go through a course just to get the methodology and context, but it would be interesting to know how Hout came to these numbers. Other researchers estimate that 30-40% of CC students who want a bachelor's degree end up earning one. I believe they looked at an 8-year period since it often takes non-traditional students a long time to finish.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Yeah, I'd be more interested in knowing the stats without counting students that aimed for an associates. 30-40% is not too bad.

I'd also be interested in knowing how many aimed for an associates and achieved it, especially in the trades or healthcare.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,184 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,539 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,932 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 233 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 499 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 391 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 730 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 247 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 210 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor