Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 companies that no longer require a college degree
Not sure if it's because the economy is hot, or because they realized it wasn't producing the outcomes they wanted, that would certainly be nice to know.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-compa...ook%7Cmain
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I think it stems more from the fact that so many visionary entrepreneurs were drop outs. I think it's a move away from "what ivy did you graduate from?" toward "prove/show what you know". I think they realize they are missing out on a lot of potential talent with a degree wall in place.

I think Hilton is on that list. Hospitality has LONG been one of those areas where you go further and advance higher the more experience you have. No one really cares about your shiny new hospitality management degree. Did you work your way up and put in the time to be where you are?

It's been a long time coming. I hope the idea catches on like wildfire.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
In the Cyber Security field, degreeless people are getting jobs left and right due to a shortage of bodies who can do the work. I've been going for about 14 years just based on experience and my CISSP. I'm only going for a degree now because:

1. Someone else is paying for it.
2. That someone (my employer) won't let me advance without it.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • davewill, jsd
(08-23-2018, 04:47 PM)quigongene Wrote: In the Cyber Security field, degreeless people are getting jobs left and right due to a shortage of bodies who can do the work. I've been going for about 14 years just based on experience and my CISSP. I'm only going for a degree now because:

1. Someone else is paying for it.
2. That someone (my employer) won't let me advance without it.

They'll pay for it, then pay you more after you get it. Sounds like a win!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-23-2018, 04:47 PM)quigongene Wrote: In the Cyber Security field, degreeless people are getting jobs left and right due to a shortage of bodies who can do the work.  I've been going for about 14 years just based on experience and my CISSP.  I'm only going for a degree now because:

1.  Someone else is paying for it.
2.  That someone (my employer) won't let me advance without it.

Do you plan on continuing with your masters once you finish?
(08-23-2018, 06:16 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 04:47 PM)quigongene Wrote: In the Cyber Security field, degreeless people are getting jobs left and right due to a shortage of bodies who can do the work.  I've been going for about 14 years just based on experience and my CISSP.  I'm only going for a degree now because:

1.  Someone else is paying for it.
2.  That someone (my employer) won't let me advance without it.

Do you plan on continuing with your masters once you finish?

Two if they'll let me. I'm looking at GA Tech's Cyber Security and Purdue Global's MBA.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(08-23-2018, 09:08 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Not sure if it's because the economy is hot, or because they realized it wasn't producing the outcomes they wanted, that would certainly be nice to know.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-compa...ook%7Cmain

It's an odd list - in truth most of those companies already had and still do have many positions that do not require a college degree to get hired. It sounds like this is more that they will not require a college degree to move into higher positions vs simply getting a job with them.

Also most, if not all, of them do offer some version of tuition assistance or degree achievement path - so they are still aware of the value a degree has.  I'm curious if this is to encourage older people with years of experience but no degree to apply, or more inline with attracting younger people who are looking to find a job with a company that will pay for their education (instead of opting for  student loan debt).  Maybe both?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • davewill
(08-24-2018, 08:02 AM)allvia Wrote: It's an odd list - in truth most of those companies already had and still do have many positions that do not require a college degree to get hired. It sounds like this is more that they will not require a college degree to move into higher positions vs simply getting a job with them.

Also most, if not all, of them do offer some version of tuition assistance or degree achievement path - so they are still aware of the value a degree has.  I'm curious if this is to encourage older people with years of experience but no degree to apply, or more inline with attracting younger people who are looking to find a job with a company that will pay for their education (instead of opting for  student loan debt).  Maybe both?

I kind of read it the same way. I'm not sure this represents any sort of change for a lot of these companies. For the ones where it is a change, I suspect that low unemployment is the driving force.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-23-2018, 04:24 PM)Tedium Wrote: I think it stems more from the fact that so many visionary entrepreneurs were drop outs. I think it's a move away from "what ivy did you graduate from?" toward "prove/show what you know". I think they realize they are missing out on a lot of potential talent with a degree wall in place.

Actually, as someone who was working in Silicon Valley in the 90's, ALL companies there were "prove/show what you know."  NO ONE had to have a degree for many years (I worked in HR).  It's only in the last 10+ years that they started requiring degrees.  So it's good to see it going BACK to where things were before the degree requirement was put in place.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hiring is such a crap shot. I think the bachelors just shows at least at baseline this person can overcome boredom, stick with a plan and put in some work. This at least gives companies some idea of what you can do. Assuming the job is not specific like nursing or any degree that needs a license to practice. The ultimate factor beyond education is attitude and boy is that hard to predict. I feel the bachelors will continue to serve as a gate keeper until some bullet proof psychometric test gets developed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yale will again require standardized tests for admission NotJoeBiden 0 183 02-22-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 534 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 480 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,277 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  'We must act! ... We will no longer exist' bjcheung77 8 843 09-22-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  College of Golf Alpha 5 667 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 892 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,436 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 513 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 873 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle