Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 free credits at Test Drive College?
This website seems to be giving away 15 lower level credits. It's recommended for credit by ACE. I just thought I'd mention it because I haven't seen it on this forum before. Has anyone taken their courses?
wb.john Wrote:This website seems to be giving away 15 lower level credits. It's recommended for credit by ACE. I just thought I'd mention it because I haven't seen it on this forum before. Has anyone taken their courses?
I looked at that a few months back, and even took the assessment test to see how reasonable it was, but didn't sign up. From what I gather from reading the site, you can only take a single class (3 credits) and their goal is to transfer it (and your required financial aid application) to one of their partner schools. As interested as I was in getting some free credits (and knock out english comp) it set off my scam sensor a bit (even though it is probably legit.) Plus I don't qualify for financial aid so I didn't want to fill out the application (or provide them with any of my personal info), and that is required for them to transfer the credit from the class, so I decided against pursuing it.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Merlin Wrote:I looked at that a few months back, and even took the assessment test to see how reasonable it was, but didn't sign up. From what I gather from reading the site, you can only take a single class (3 credits) and their goal is to transfer it (and your required financial aid application) to one of their partner schools. As interested as I was in getting some free credits (and knock out english comp) it set off my scam sensor a bit (even though it is probably legit.) Plus I don't qualify for financial aid so I didn't want to fill out the application (or provide them with any of my personal info), and that is required for them to transfer the credit from the class, so I decided against pursuing it.

That's too bad if they won't allow you to take more than one course. Still, I'm sure someone could get at least 3 credits to transfer to one of the Big 3 if they're willing to go through all the annoyance.
wb.john Wrote:That's too bad if they won't allow you to take more than one course. Still, I'm sure someone could get at least 3 credits to transfer to one of the Big 3 if they're willing to go through all the annoyance.
I got the impression that they only transfer the credits to their partner schools, but I'm sure there is a way around that, especially if you can get it ACE transcripted, then it wouldn't matter.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
I took English 101 there...and i may have "pretended" to be interested in their other sponsor school and even went as far as having them put me in contact with one, but I enrolled in TESC. You are not FORCED to enroll in any of their other colleges just go throw the song and dance. They DO put the course on my ACE transcript and I was done with them. Its no scam you just have to know how to make it work for you. So do not be afraid to try them out. I did and was very satisfied with my free 3 credits.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]BSBA General Management June 2016

Alternative Credits Thus Far
TECEP - Marriage and the Family, Computer Concepts and Applications, Advertising
Test Drive College Online - English Composition I
FEMA- (12 cr)
Aleks - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
SL - Intro to Business, Accounting I & II, Business Law, Business Ethics, Principles of Management, Micro & Macroeconomics, Statistics, Intro to Religion, Cultural Anthropology, World History I
Sophia Learning - Project Management
Penn Foster - Corporate Finance, Strategic Management

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. -Thomas Edison
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Did they still make you submit a financial aid application? That was the bit I didn't like.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Introduction to Psychology, looks interesting. I might try this.
FREE 3 credits!!

So lets just say i fill out the financial aid but I'm already enrolled in TESC..Would that be a problem??
msantos Wrote:FREE 3 credits!!

So lets just say i fill out the financial aid but I'm already enrolled in TESC..Would that be a problem??

You can actually just give them your data relaease number (DRN) located on your FAFSA confirmation page and they should be able to pull up the application. Or you can go into your current FAFSA and add the name of the second school. Remember, it's just information they use to design a FA package for the student. Nothing happens until you accept the award.

Just a quick fyi, I was enrolled at two schools at the same time (TESC and CC). One school I used FinAid the other I did not. But you can also do both, one then acts as a clearing house for both. If you needed this in the future talk to your registrar and or bursars office.

Good luck on the credits!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Merlin Wrote:I got the impression that they only transfer the credits to their partner schools, but I'm sure there is a way around that, especially if you can get it ACE transcripted, then it wouldn't matter.

The issuing school never gets a say in where your credits transfer, it's always the receiving school that makes that decision. Besides, if it's ACE evaluated, then it's ACE evaluated. It doesn't matter if they have partner schools or not. The real question is what they require in order to issue you a transcript with an ACE evaluated course on it....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,368 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,086 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,220 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,673 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Finance by test out clarkin16 5 1,814 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM
  California teaching credential w/ a test-out degree 12save 3 1,559 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Last Post: kevinmane
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,856 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,614 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,579 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM