Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
150 credits before Bachelor's degree
I am currently seeking a BSBA in accounting from TESU using 30 RA credits and 90 ACE/transfer credits. Looking at my state requirements (NJ) for becoming a CPA, I need "150 semester hours from accredited school. Credits can be obtained within or beyond a degree program." I may or may not end up sitting for the CPA exam, but I'd like to know if I can get the 150 credits onto my TESU transcript while I'm already enrolled at TESU. I do not believe ACE, CLEP, etc. transcripts will be accepted to show the extra 30 credits, as those are not accredited colleges. They do accept these sources of credit if they are transferred to and on an accredited school's transcript.

Can I take 30 extra ACE credits (CLEP, Sophia, etc.) and transfer them to TESU before graduating with my bachelor's degree? TESU has a 90-credit transfer limit, but I have heard on the forum that since I wouldn't be using the extra 30 credits for my degree it wouldn't go against the 90-credit limit, and since I'm transferring them, they will still appear on my transcript. Is this true? Is it a good idea to accumulate 150 credits before finishing my bachelor's degree?
Yes, you can transfer as many alternate credits to TESU as you want. The only issue is that there is a limit of 90 credits being used per degree. As long as you're aware of that, continue to transfer in as many credits as you want/need to hit the 150 credit requirement.

Might I suggest that, since you have to do this anyway, you might want to get a couple of Associate degrees from TESU, too? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...gree_Plans Math would possibly be a good choice, maybe computer science if you don't mind calculus.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
*Ding, Ding* I would recommend using the credits for an Associates in Comp Sci and Math, since you can take more credits this way and each AOS is only 18 credits. You can add another Bachelors (BALS and NOT finish it), this way you can leave the credits hanging in your TESU account for transcript uses later on, even after you graduate the Associates and original BSBA Accounting.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Not sure why you'd want an AA in Math or CompSci, as I don't find either of those appealing as someone who used to work in accounting - and they're probably not going to make a difference for any jobs you'd look at.

Another option might be to go to UMPI and get a BA in Accounting, with a couple of minors in Project Management, MIS, or Mgmt. It would probably be cheaper than TESU, and you'd have the same issues there - ability to bring in a ton of ACE credit, no need to bring in RA credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Since you're in NJ and you're not sure if you're going the CPA route or taking the CPA exam, you can try and follow the TESU BSBA Accounting/CPA option, or take courses at the Masters level. It may be beneficial to take more courses in Accounting or a close field such as Finance, so you can take an Accounting & Finance double AOS for the BSBA. You can also go for additional certificates, such as CIS.

There are so many different options in adding 30+ credits into your transcripts, but if you're taking courses towards that 30 or more credits, why not get something out of it, such as an Associates, in case you're going into other fields or interested in something else. That was just my example, you can take certs in other BSBA AOS option too, it won't matter, options are endless to get credits on the transcript.

If you decide on staying with TESU, you might even consider a second degree, since the 30 credits can be in "anything", you can get something you're interested in, or if you're wanting something interdisciplinary, the BALS with some concentration, be it Humanities, Social Science, or Natural Science & Math.

If you're not staying in NJ, you can decide on the UMPI BA or BABA Accounting and adding other minors to that degree, anything that floats your boat and 'adds' excitement, interest, knowledge, and keep it simple, you again can go for the extra credits in anything they offer on the YourPace platform, several are possible.

Again, there are so many ways to play the credit game with transcripts, it depends how and where you want the credits...
Forgot, the links:  TESU site: https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/accountingcpa
Catalog: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/Curre...unting-CPA
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-22-2022, 09:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Not sure why you'd want an AA in Math or CompSci, as I don't find either of those appealing as someone who used to work in accounting - and they're probably not going to make a difference for any jobs you'd look at.

Sometimes, working towards an additional degree is easier/more interesting than just taking random extra classes for no particular reason. Nobody HAS to get an additional Associate's, but if you have to take more classes anyway, why not put them to something meaningful when possible?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Would I still be able to transfer in credits after graduating with a BSBA? Would I remain an enrolled student for 1 year after last being enrolled in a TESU course? If I wanted to graduate with my BSBA and then transfer in credits after, would I need to add another degree to my TESU profile? And it doesn't matter whether or not I finish that degree, correct?

Thank you for your help answering my questions! It's greatly appreciated  Big Grin
(02-15-2022, 06:58 PM)dzaloum Wrote: Would I still be able to transfer in credits after graduating with a BSBA? Would I remain an enrolled student for 1 year after last being enrolled in a TESU course? If I wanted to graduate with my BSBA and then transfer in credits after, would I need to add another degree to my TESU profile? And it doesn't matter whether or not I finish that degree, correct?

Thank you for your help answering my questions! It's greatly appreciated  Big Grin

Yes, you would add another degree or certificate before you graduate. An associate's would do fine. No need to ever finish it or even add courses that apply to it. You can even extend past one year by signing up for a TECEP before the one year mark.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-15-2022, 06:58 PM)dzaloum Wrote: Would I still be able to transfer in credits after graduating with a BSBA? Would I remain an enrolled student for 1 year after last being enrolled in a TESU course? If I wanted to graduate with my BSBA and then transfer in credits after, would I need to add another degree to my TESU profile? And it doesn't matter whether or not I finish that degree, correct?

If you don't have any other degrees listed in your account at graduation, then everything kind of "disappears" at that point.  You no longer have access to look at anything at some point soon after you've gotten your last grade.  It happens pretty quickly IIRC.

So, add another degree, THEN graduate.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 1 71 Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,653 Yesterday, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 178 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,524 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 105 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 197 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 618 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,072 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 245 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,199 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK