Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$15000 Doctorate NA
ashkir Wrote:I spent more time talking to people in this degree program. I spoke to some of the faculty via email. I'm actually very impressed with this. I never thought I'd do a masters, but, now I'm thinking of doing 1 more year of school after UMPI and dot his, and just going straight to a doctorate. I've never thought of it before. Most of the people in this program are nurse practitioners or hospital administrators. I ran into one person with a background in simply leadership and they're liking the program.

The amount of work seems equivalent to what I'm getting at UMPI. I think I'll risk the $5000 extra to take a semester of this, to see if I can do it. Everyone I've been talking to has told me the first semester is the worst So if I can get through it I know I can do it.

I know this is NA, and not the "gold standard" RA, but, NA is still a silver standard, and acceptable. I plan on letting my reputation speak for me, but, with the degrees behind me to use it to push myself forward. I mostly want to do this for me. While this is a Doctor of Healthcare Administration, but the curriculum is almost all administrative and leadership based. This is a research doctorate not a dissertation doctorate, so the ability to create original knowledge is built into the whole program versus a full on dissertation. Basically kind of like those EdDs that require a ton of published articles, you'd be working on these with this program, at an accelerated rate.

It's very early on in this program, the first cohort graduates next week. I want to join for their 5th or 6th cohort ,enough time for them to get their kinks down, want to push graduation rates, and probably before they tighten requirements. Only a single class (DHA 806) is about Healthcare. But, it involves world wide health.

When you get up to the Doctorate level, it won't really matter what others think, you do your thing and your program of interest. I think this is a great move upwards once you finish your MAOL at UMPI.

USDOE/CHEA recognizes DEAC and other nationally recognized degree providers the same now, it's just the RA and people in academia, research, or teaching is wanting to keep RA distinguished from NA.

I read somewhere that VUL was seeking RA, not sure if that is the case now. I would still recommend doing their program even if they don't get RA or seek it. Maybe email them to ask and find out!

Focus on finishing that MAOL, you can apply and look at programs that interest you at the doctorate level when applications open. Fall applications end August 15, Spring apps end Dec 1, and Summer app ends on April Fools Day!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I am in my last semester (second cohort) I must say I am very impressed with the program and the facility is very supportive. You will learn a lot in each course but I have already applied these skills to my current occupation in a different field. If you feel the program is right for you, go for it do not worry about accreditation honestly. RA vs. NA will always be a thing. If you are worried about accreditation Liberty University offers a DBA with a concentration in healthcare management which they accept NA credits. Up to 50% can be applied towards the degree. I truly think VUL is going to expand and offer more programs in the future especially online so this will create more revenue and bring more students to the school. Who knows maybe that will lead to them applying for RA accreditation (I have heard brief talks with some of my professors about the school seeking it in the future but nothing set in stone yet)
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
[-] The following 2 users Like newdegree's post:
  • ashkir, ss20ts
(08-30-2021, 02:18 PM)newdegree Wrote: I am in my last semester (second cohort) I must say I am very impressed with the program and the facility is very supportive. You will learn a lot in each course but I have already applied these skills to my current occupation in a different field. If you feel the program is right for you, go for it do not worry about accreditation honestly. RA vs. NA will always be a thing. If you are worried about accreditation Liberty University offers a DBA with a concentration in healthcare management which they accept NA credits. Up to 50% can be applied towards the degree. I truly think VUL is going to expand and offer more programs in the future especially online so this will create more revenue and bring more students to the school. Who knows maybe that will lead to them applying for RA accreditation (I have heard brief talks with some of my professors about the school seeking it in the future but nothing set in stone yet)

How is the homework load so far? are you having to write 20+ pages a week?
(08-30-2021, 11:21 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 02:18 PM)newdegree Wrote: I am in my last semester (second cohort) I must say I am very impressed with the program and the facility is very supportive. You will learn a lot in each course but I have already applied these skills to my current occupation in a different field. If you feel the program is right for you, go for it do not worry about accreditation honestly. RA vs. NA will always be a thing. If you are worried about accreditation Liberty University offers a DBA with a concentration in healthcare management which they accept NA credits. Up to 50% can be applied towards the degree. I truly think VUL is going to expand and offer more programs in the future especially online so this will create more revenue and bring more students to the school. Who knows maybe that will lead to them applying for RA accreditation (I have heard brief talks with some of my professors about the school seeking it in the future but nothing set in stone yet)

all programs have lots of writing its a doctorate degree, I would advise finding a program that you are interested in and giving it a try. On your previous post I made a suggestion that will best fit your goals. 
I would advise going to the University of the Cumberlands and doing the EdD or PhD program in leadership as it fits both your leadership and administration goals plus they are regionally accredited, classes are online (I believe 8 weeks long each), and they have a big student support group on facebook.
Degrees In Progress:
Completed Degrees:
(08-31-2021, 12:46 PM)newdegree Wrote:

all programs have lots of writing its a doctorate degree, I would advise finding a program that you are interested in and giving it a try. On your previous post I made a suggestion that will best fit your goals. 
I would advise going to the University of the Cumberlands and doing the EdD or PhD program in leadership as it fits both your leadership and administration goals plus they are regionally accredited, classes are online (I believe 8 weeks long each), and they have a big student support group on facebook.

It is the writing I don't mind. I don't mind looking at other things. I'm curious of how much you are having to write. I just mind it when it is 200 pages in a single month, lol.

From what I can gather from VUL is it is a few case studies and short analysis of them each day. I work in document retention jobs for the healthcare and government industries so a DHA isn't out of my league.
(08-31-2021, 02:20 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 12:46 PM)newdegree Wrote:

It is the writing I don't mind. I don't mind looking at other things. I'm curious of how much you are having to write. I just mind it when it is 200 pages in a single month, lol.

From what I can gather from VUL is it is a few case studies and short analysis of them each day. I work in document retention jobs for the healthcare and government industries so a DHA isn't out of my league.

If you think it works for you give it a try. I am applying to Eastern Virginia Medical School Doctor of Health Science Program next as the program is regionally accredited and will help me advance in my field. VUL DHA program was great and I will finish but I still want to learn more about the field. In the future, my last degree hopefully would be an MPH or a Physician Assistant degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newdegree's post:
  • ashkir
I just wanted to announce that I finished the DHA program today at VUL. What a great experience I had with the instructors, my cohorts, the assignments, and the various courses we took. I personally learned a lot and had my own struggles I had to figure out between getting assignments to the instructors liking to learning to brand new things I had no prior knowledge of as I am not in the healthcare field. There were some nights I felt stressed, called out of work some days, missed out on vacations, missed out on parties and social gathers, devoted my weekends to working on school work and zoom meetings, and I was still able to balance this program while working on my MBA over at Hellenic American University (just taking one course per 7-week term) and working a full-time job (I wouldn't advise anyone to do the same as it was not easy trust me). If I had to do it all over again and select another program as my first doctorate or only doctorate I would pick VUL as it is a hidden gem and from what I am hearing they have a new doctorate program coming in leadership. Overall I am very pleased and I plan on continuing my schooling as I am applying to a Doctor in Public Health and a Doctor of Health Science program to see where I get in. I can officially call myself a doctorate holder but the journey does not end there. I hope in the future VUL applies for Regional Accreditation to add more value to their degrees. Only time will tell but for now, my degree is going to be used for military and federal employment purposes which NA degrees are accepted.
Degrees In Progress:
Completed Degrees:
[-] The following 2 users Like newdegree's post:
  • jch, ss20ts
(12-21-2021, 11:21 PM)newdegree Wrote: I just wanted to announce that I finished the DHA program today at VUL. What a great experience I had with the instructors, my cohorts, the assignments, and the various courses we took. I personally learned a lot and had my own struggles I had to figure out between getting assignments to the instructors liking to learning to brand new things I had no prior knowledge of as I am not in the healthcare field. There were some nights I felt stressed, called out of work some days, missed out on vacations, missed out on parties and social gathers, devoted my weekends to working on school work and zoom meetings, and I was still able to balance this program while working on my MBA over at Hellenic American University (just taking one course per 7-week term) and working a full-time job (I wouldn't advise anyone to do the same as it was not easy trust me). If I had to do it all over again and select another program as my first doctorate or only doctorate I would pick VUL as it is a hidden gem and from what I am hearing they have a new doctorate program coming in leadership. Overall I am very pleased and I plan on continuing my schooling as I am applying to a Doctor in Public Health and a Doctor of Health Science program to see where I get in. I can officially call myself a doctorate holder but the journey does not end there. I hope in the future VUL applies for Regional Accreditation to add more value to their degrees. Only time will tell but for now, my degree is going to be used for military and federal employment purposes which NA degrees are accepted.

Congratulations!!!!! I'm starting in January for myself as part of the January 2022 cohort! I saw your post in the Facebook group! Congratulations! I don't intend on doing anything else besides work while doing this DHA. 

I just checked the syllabus for the first two classes, compared to my Master's it seems like a peace of cake. I'm really curious how the externship will work out for me as that's the only thing that makes me nervous. 

Congratulations, Dr.
(12-22-2021, 02:01 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 11:21 PM)newdegree Wrote: I just wanted to announce that I finished the DHA program today at VUL. What a great experience I had with the instructors, my cohorts, the assignments, and the various courses we took. I personally learned a lot and had my own struggles I had to figure out between getting assignments to the instructors liking to learning to brand new things I had no prior knowledge of as I am not in the healthcare field. There were some nights I felt stressed, called out of work some days, missed out on vacations, missed out on parties and social gathers, devoted my weekends to working on school work and zoom meetings, and I was still able to balance this program while working on my MBA over at Hellenic American University (just taking one course per 7-week term) and working a full-time job (I wouldn't advise anyone to do the same as it was not easy trust me). If I had to do it all over again and select another program as my first doctorate or only doctorate I would pick VUL as it is a hidden gem and from what I am hearing they have a new doctorate program coming in leadership. Overall I am very pleased and I plan on continuing my schooling as I am applying to a Doctor in Public Health and a Doctor of Health Science program to see where I get in. I can officially call myself a doctorate holder but the journey does not end there. I hope in the future VUL applies for Regional Accreditation to add more value to their degrees. Only time will tell but for now, my degree is going to be used for military and federal employment purposes which NA degrees are accepted.

Congratulations!!!!! I'm starting in January for myself as part of the January 2022 cohort! I saw your post in the Facebook group! Congratulations! I don't intend on doing anything else besides work while doing this DHA. 

I just checked the syllabus for the first two classes, compared to my Master's it seems like a peace of cake. I'm really curious how the externship will work out for me as that's the only thing that makes me nervous. 

Congratulations, Dr.

I wouldn't say it would be a piece of cake trust me it's hard than it looks the courses. The instructors are very picky and you will realize your third semester everything hits the fan as workloads become crazy and short timelines. The externship will be done the third semester which is basically a full-time job itself I have no clue how any working professional got it done unless they used their job for the externship with approval from the instructor and dean.
Degrees In Progress:
Completed Degrees:
Okay so far I'm now a month done with the program (week 5 now). This DHA's first two classes feel easier compared to UMPI's toughest class so far. This is because UMPI has taken the approach of teaching Kotter to the extreme. This program is tying in Kotter and some great other concepts. But, it is nothing scaled to the intensity that UMPI is, and likely shows that UMPI was too had. 

DHA 801:
16 weeks
2 Discussion Board topics a week, of at least 2 paragraphs each.
2 Discussion Board responses a week of at least 2 paragraphs each.
5 case studies. You can only do THREE of the FIVE. 3 seriously.
The 3 case studies you do, is only 2 pages long analysis with NO REFERENCES.
1 10 page final.

In the end for 801:
32 Discussion Board Topics
32 Discussion Board Responses
128 paragraphs over 16 weeks. Super doable. That's like 8000 words total over SIXTEEN WEEKS compare this to an essay, 28 pages in length double spaced. Super doable. Its in small bites.
6 pages for Case analysis.
10 pages for final essay.
8 zoom meetings

This whole class is only 44 pages worth of writing, and most of it has no citations.

Now onto 802
8 weeks
2 Discussion Board topics a week, of at least 2 paragraphs each.
2 Discussion Board responses a week of at least 2 paragraphs each.
16 topics again liek the above,
16 posts again like the above
2 Case Analysis of 2 to 4 pages each. References needed. Professor grades based on your Grammarly score and other criteria. 
1 final, final is only 5 pages

This one is closer to a total of roughly 26 pages spread over 8 weeks. All in small bite chunks.

The writing assignments are easy for me right now. There is a ton of reading. I just stick it all in speechify. While I state the word "easy" it is likely because the concepts are a complete review of classes I took to my Master's. Many people haven't spent a Master's studying Kotter, mine did. 

Now onto the professors:
Hammond is brilliant and his approaches are great. I love Hammond love sot encourage collaboration and working together with diversity. Hammond is very fair. 

Gupta is brilliant. He has great ideas. When something new comes up he loves to share it. Gupta is always a pleasure to listen to. 

Should you do it?
I say yes. The program is intense in a way, it is a lot of work. But, the work isn't hard and putting you down. The work is testing you on concepts and these concepts are powerful. The professors are amazing. 

You must be willing to dedicate time. 

Also VUL is raising prices for next cohort.
[-] The following 4 users Like ashkir's post:
  • carebear_007, jch, Leedeedee, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  32-credit doctorate in systems engineer? It's possible! sanantone 4 1,988 04-07-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA from EIU Paris - 2yrs total €5000 WES recognised as Doctorate? FrHaseKopf 5 466 03-17-2024, 11:15 PM
  Seeking Doctorate in National Security or Public Policy FireMedic_Philosopher 23 1,150 03-07-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Universidad Azteca's new doctorate programs Kalas 8 811 02-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 4,014 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 951 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  FREE doctorate in Economy & Government (in Spanish, in Spain) Kalas 1 499 01-26-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Help me pick my next doctorate! jfitzg8876 5 919 11-07-2023, 04:47 PM
  Liberty University Doctorate DBA Rhashad 20 3,841 09-28-2023, 11:07 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  UCN like doctorate options? Sdmj33 23 5,878 08-24-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: elcastor21