Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In my 30s and looking to finish my degree in Computer Engineer/Science
RichardN Wrote:How long will it take to complete a BA in CS @ TESU with the credits I have. To my understanding, I have really just the major specific courses to take on top of Linear Algebra and Discrete Math. The requirements for TESU doesn't include Cal III where as my previous school SJSU did. Can I use that credit elsewhere?
TrailRunr, dfecore, bluebooger all have good stuff IMO. In my previous post I should have stated that I was referring to whizzing through degree specific courses, not gen ed and open elective courses. However, you can definitely get some CS UL courses knocked out quickly (courses around 4-8 weeks at Statistics.com).

Data Structures (Athabasca, TESU, or a CC online course?)
Intro CS (Saylor Intro CS, CC online course somewhere, TESU)
Discrete Math (CC somewhere, TESU, APUS)
Capstone (TESU)
15 CS credits (Stack up on CS credits at Statistics.com*; Straighterline C++, 200 level at TESU)

If you can make it past Calc III, you have what it takes. I read numbers backwards and I have managed. The program does not require Algorithms, Database, Network, OS, or Language theory. These are the type of courses I would recommend to place in electives, but I understand these are more difficult to find from a flexible source. In other words, if you can't take them, I would find the suggested textbook typically recommended for each course and go through it for prof. development (after the hustle bustle of completing the program requirements).

*18 UL CS credits from Statistics.com (ACE recommended); of course TESU ultimately decides how to place them...
SQL and R - 3 UL
Sentiment Analysis - 2 UL
Social Network Analysis - 3 UL
Analytics - 3 UL
Data Visualization - 2 UL
Natural Language Processing - 2 UL
R - Intermediate - 3 UL
If you're looking for quick and cheap credits, you could also take ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra and Statistics. With your math background, you could probably do them all in 5 minutes. Also the Kaplan PLA course, and the Insurance Ethics course, which are both free.

Of course, that's only if you choose the CS degree, I think you're just about out of space for random stuff in the BSBA degrees.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Outis Wrote:*18 UL CS credits from Statistics.com (ACE recommended); of course TESU ultimately decides how to place them...
SQL and R - 3 UL
Sentiment Analysis - 2 UL
Social Network Analysis - 3 UL
Analytics - 3 UL
Data Visualization - 2 UL
Natural Language Processing - 2 UL
R - Intermediate - 3 UL

Has anyone actually finished any of these courses and transcribed them to a COS/CIS 3xx or 4xx that counted in the CS AOS? TESU won't preapprove these.

I've already put down the money to gamble on the SQL and R course and see if it ends up as UL inside the AOS.

There is a Hadoop course, but it overlaps for 2 weeks with the SQL and R course. I'm not sure I can handle 2 programming courses at once if they both turn out to be time consuming along with my job and my other courses.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:...

There is a Hadoop course, but it overlaps for 2 weeks with the SQL and R course. I'm not sure I can handle 2 programming courses at once if they both turn out to be time consuming along with my job and my other courses.

have you done ANY sql ever or programming ?

if so, that course is a joke

it may be listed as 3 upper level, but the work required barley meets the requirement for a 2 credit lower course

I took that course last year
Excelsior accepted it for 3 Upper as ACE recommends

I had taken Introduction to R at coursera before
I know MS Access and SQL Server pretty well

this is NOT an upper level course as far as I'm concerned

the course was fun
I learned a couple of things, but absolutely nothing I couldn't have learned on my own with 5 minutes of google

The "Intermediate R" course on the other hand was a freaking nightmare -- when they say "perquisites: one year of daily of experience with R" --- they aren't kidding -- I didn't have that --- I figured my Coursera R course and knowledge of Excel and VBA would be enough --- NO FREAKING WAY --- be prepared to put in a LOT of work

The Python course was pretty simple though
Yes, I've have some programming experience in Python, shell, expect, sed, awk, Perl, Java, C, C++.

Any idea on the difficulty of the Hadoop course? My Python is decent, so I can work off of the examples and not do it in Java like the guy in the testimonial section.
sorry, haven't done the hadoop course

I will say that NONE of the courses I took had proctored exams

and none had group projects

for the final exam for the "SQL and R" and "Python" courses I was given 5 or 6 questions that needed answering by writing R or Python functions or SQL statements
or preforming tasks such as "what is the median age of the employees who are managers"
and then showing the SQL I used in addition to the actual answer

and if I remember correctly I was given 3 or 4 days so it was pretty easy

except for the Intermediate R course where each question had 5 parts and each part had multiple sub questions LOL
1a, 1b 1c, 1d, 1e

so it was stuff like
question 1d) answer the following 6 questions using the graph you constructed in part 1c
submit the working R code

ha ha ha
TrailRunr Wrote:Has anyone actually finished any of these courses and transcribed them to a COS/CIS 3xx or 4xx that counted in the CS AOS? TESU won't preapprove these.

I've already put down the money to gamble on the SQL and R course and see if it ends up as UL inside the AOS.

Statistics "SQL and R" was transcribed for me in TESU as lower credits CIS-210... Structured Query Language .

I wonder if somebody got upper credits for any of Statistics.com courses at TESU? Please, let us know.
lavagirl Wrote:Statistics "SQL and R" was transcribed for me in TESU as lower credits CIS-210... Structured Query Language .

Bummer. Thanks for letting me know. I'm still within my 5 day refund period, so I'm going to drop it.
TESU doesn't really follow ACE recommendations for upper/lower division determinations. It's better to try to match courses to ones in their PLA database.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,205 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,964 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,871 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,009 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627