Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU BSCS or Pierpont->UMPI->MS
(06-02-2023, 02:55 PM)rachel83az Wrote: What is your budget?

Getting a Pierpont degree doesn't guarantee being able to get a BAS at UMPI. Even if you do, UMPI's degrees aren't very technical/comp sci at all. It might not be sufficient to get entry into the Georgia Tech degree. Nothing that could be considered a comp sci prerequisite. It may not be sufficient for Georgia Tech or even WGU (I'm not sure what WGU's MSITM entry requirements are, however).

If you have a higher budget, you might want to consider getting a BACS at TESU instead of a BSCS at WGU. Why? Getting a degree in a single 6-month term at WGU is not super common. It's technically doable, but may not be possible even with maximum transfer. If it takes you 2 or 3 terms at WGU, that would cost about as much or even more than a TESU degree.
Hi,

If I get an associate at Pierpont,
wont that mostly transfer to a degree at UMPI?

THAMX!!!
(06-09-2023, 09:54 PM)midnite123 Wrote: If I get an associate at Pierpont,
wont that mostly transfer to a degree at UMPI?

THAMX!!!

UMPI reviews your transcripts not your degrees. Waiting for a Pierpont degree will slow you down as they only confer degrees every few months. You say you want a bachelor's degree in 6 months and you have a lot of credits completed on Sophia. Only 90 credits can be applied as transfer credit at UMPI. UMPI doesn't require any RA credit unlike Pierpont. You'll complete 30 credits or more at UMPI and then you'll be a college graduate. With your Sophia credits, you won't be accepted into the BAS. You'll get into the BLS with MIS Minor or you can complete the BABA with PM & IS Concentration. You'd take all of the MIS Minor courses and courses in project management and business.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
As an update, I'm now considering getting a BABA from UMPI instead of a BAS/BLS to act basically as a more useful checkbox degree
with the added benefit of maybe getting into management in the future.
I'm probably gonna postpone my degree plans for a couple of months but will still get the Pierpont BOG AAS since I met all the reqs.
(also note, I now meet the requirements for the BAS at UMPI)
In addition, because I was/am undecided, I finished all the Sophia and coursera transfer courses available for
WGU's BSCS
UMPI's BAS/BLS with MIS concentration
UMPI's BABA with Project Management concentration

courses completed:
Completed Sophia + credits:
Business Communication 3
Business Law 3
Financial Accounting 3
Introduction to Business 3
Principles of Management 3
Project Management 3
Conflict Resolution 3
Introduction to Information Technology 3
Introduction to Java Programming 3
Introduction to Python Programming 3
Introduction to Relational Databases 3
Introduction to Web Development 3
English Composition 1 3
Visual Communications 3
Workplace Communications 3
Art History 1 3
Introduction to Ethics 3
Spanish 1 3
Calculus 1 4
College Algebra 3
Introduction to Statistics 3
Environmental Science 3
Human Biology 3
Human Biology Lab 1
Introduction to Nutrition 3
Introduction to Sociology 3
Macroeconomics 3
Microeconomics 3
U.S Government 3

Coursera Cert:
IBM Data Analyst
IBM Data Analysis and Visualization Foundations
TADA - IBM Cybersecurity Analyst
TADA - Google Project Management
TADA - Google Data Analytics
TADA - Google IT Support Professional

ASU:
CIS 194 - Business Technology Fundamentals

The only missing courses for UMPI gen ed are English comp 2 and 2D requirement

One question I have is, should I bother doing the SDC transfer courses for UMPI?
(BLS)
business 303
(BABA)
accounting 301
business 303
business 310
business 304
Business 312
@swellguy, it's all good...plans change, UMPI PM&IS is a good option for you to start and you can ladder that up to one of the Masters at WGU of your choice. As I usually mention, work on those 3 things you're already working on, certs, degree, experience and mix/match those to your liking with the Coursera/TADA options available...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-11-2023, 12:28 PM)swellguy Wrote: As an update, I'm now considering getting a BABA from UMPI instead of a BAS/BLS to act basically as a more useful checkbox degree

I would tend to agree that it's a better choice if you're going with UMPI. There are more requirements for BABA than BLS, and they're more challenging, but you should still be able to complete them in one session if everything lines up just right.

(06-11-2023, 12:28 PM)swellguy Wrote: I'm probably gonna postpone my degree plans for a couple of months but will still get the Pierpont BOG AAS since I met all the reqs.

It's important to note that just having the AAS and the 40 technical credits is not enough. UMPI has to agree that there are actually 40 credits that qualify. Many students thought that they qualified when they didn't.

(06-11-2023, 12:28 PM)swellguy Wrote: In addition, because I was/am undecided, I finished all the Sophia and coursera transfer courses available for  
WGU's BSCS

If this is still an option, and you decide on WGU, then I highly recommend completing the Study.com courses that apply:
BSCS - Study.com Tranfers

By the way, someone has completed the new WGU MSCSIA degree already:
Completed the new MSCIA : WGU (reddit.com)

It's an extreme outlier, but I take it as an indication that a student with at least some knowledge/experience can complete the degree in a single six-month term if they are diligent enough.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-11-2023, 12:28 PM)swellguy Wrote: As an update, I'm now considering getting a BABA from UMPI instead of a BAS/BLS to act basically as a more useful checkbox degree
with the added benefit of maybe getting into management in the future.
I'm probably gonna postpone my degree plans for a couple of months but will still get the Pierpont BOG AAS since I met all the reqs.
In addition, because I was/am undecided, I finished all the Sophia and coursera transfer courses available for  
WGU's BSCS
UMPI's BAS/BLS with MIS concentration
UMPI's BABA with Project Management concentration

courses completed:
Completed Sophia + credits:
Business Communication 3
Business Law 3
Financial Accounting 3
Introduction to Business 3
Principles of Management 3
Project Management 3
Conflict Resolution 3
Introduction to Information Technology 3
Introduction to Java Programming 3
Introduction to Python Programming 3
Introduction to Relational Databases 3
Introduction to Web Development 3
English Composition 1   3
Visual Communications 3
Workplace Communications 3
Art History 1    3
Introduction to Ethics 3
Spanish 1    3
Calculus 1   4
College Algebra   3
Introduction to Statistics 3
Environmental Science 3
Human Biology 3
Human Biology Lab 1
Introduction to Nutrition 3
Introduction to Sociology 3
Macroeconomics 3
Microeconomics 3
U.S Government 3

Coursera Cert:
IBM Data Analyst
IBM Data Analysis and Visualization Foundations
TADA - IBM Cybersecurity Analyst
TADA - Google Project Management
TADA - Google Data Analytics
TADA - Google IT Support Professional

ASU:
CIS 194 - Business Technology Fundamentals

The only missing courses for UMPI gen ed are English comp 2 and 2D requirement

One question I have is, should I bother doing the SDC transfer courses for UMPI?
(BLS)
business 303
(BABA)
accounting 301
business 303
business 310
business 304
Business 312

You're already well over 90 transferable credits at UMPI. I wouldn't take anymore classes anywhere until you apply and see what courses are remaining. If you take 150 credits, only 90 will count in your degree. You'll still have to take 30 credits at UMPI. Don't plan for the BAS. Plan for the BLS that way you're not let down. It's VERY rare someone in YourPace is accepted into the BAS. Technically, that is not available in YourPace.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
WGU offers scholarships for which a lot of people are accepted. That knocks off about $625 per term. 

Keep that in mind when applying to WGU.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 10 189 3 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,899 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 470 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 533 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,069 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,326 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  UMPI Psy Degree Help Priszilla 12 918 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 371 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate TAMUC>UMPI graduatemore 7 564 03-21-2024, 09:14 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 528 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM