Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
19 year old International Student needs your help
Question 
Your Location: Northrhine Westphalia, Germany
Your Age: 19
What kind of degree do you want?: I will elaborate further in my message below.
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 0

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 0

Any certifications or military experience?

Unfortunately no

First of all, I am glad to have found this forum so early in my life. I am new to Forums to be exact this is the first Forum I signed up for that I actually end up using. Due to personal circumstances I had to drop out of highschool in germany back in 2020. If I want to go the traditional german highschool route I cannot expect to graduate until 2025! So I decided to take my GED as my family and I will be moving to the US in 2023. As someone who has been born and raised in germany with the german school system college credits are new to me but I've roughly figured out everything by now. I read a lot of threads in this forum but sadly there are some things I find hard to research even after looking in the Wiki, for example: I see users talking about transferring credits into an CUNY Associates (there is no such thing as an Associates in Germany only BA/BS,MA/MS etc. everything below is basically highschool education or an apprenticeship/trade) now the problem is I want to start now and currently I only hold my germany passport with no residency or citizenship for the US as we will move through the work of my parents. Now I have some questions that I hope you guys might be able to answer:
Is it possible to attend CUNY online for me or should I go with UMass Global ? 
Does it even make sense for me to pick CUNY over UMass Global?
I'm asking this because I am not sure wether some employees take UMass Global serious. 
Can you still transfer 90 ACE credits into UMass Global? 
How long would it take me to finish it with 0 credits to my name? 
Can someone help me with a degree plan? 
I would like to get a BBA in Information Systems Management but to be honest any degree I could acquire fast would be godsent for me in my situation so I am open for recommendations but if it is possible to be done fast I am definetly picking a business major preferably Information Systems Management as stated above. 
I hope I haven't broken any rules by writing such a paragraph  I am still new to all this forum stuff.

Also sorry for my grammar or spelling, english isn't my first language.

Greetings from Cologne! 
So first, why are you choosing between CUNY and UMass Global? Those aren't 2 of the easiest/cheapest/best choices we discuss on here. The main reason to choose CUNY would be if you lived in NY and could get in-state tuition (which still isn't great).

I would probably look at WGU when you get here, and do all the credits you need before coming; or look at some other degrees.

One thing to consider: if you chose a degree from TESU or UMPI or EU, you could do ACTFL/LTI exams and get 12 UL and 24 LL credits for $318. That would put you at a very nice place at TESU for a BALS degree.

Anyway, I'd think about looking at a lot of schools besides the 2 you are looking at.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(11-19-2022, 08:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So first, why are you choosing between CUNY and UMass Global?  Those aren't 2 of the easiest/cheapest/best choices we discuss on here.  The main reason to choose CUNY would be if you lived in NY and could get in-state tuition (which still isn't great).

I would probably look at WGU when you get here, and do all the credits you need before coming; or look at some other degrees.

One thing to consider: if you chose a degree from TESU or UMPI or EU, you could do ACTFL/LTI exams and get 12 UL and 24 LL credits for $318.  That would put you at a very nice place at TESU for a BALS degree.

Anyway, I'd think about looking at a lot of schools besides the 2 you are looking at.

I thought about CUNY only because I saw it mentioned here a lot. UMass Global would be my first choice because it has exactly the Degree I would want and I heard you can transfer in 90 ACE credits in if thats correct. I thought about WGU but right now I don't have an exact date when I am going to be in the US and I don't want to waste my time. Thank you for your input!

It would be nice If you and or another user could help me by adressing my other questions. Thank you in advance.
UMPI's Business Administration with Project Management and Information Systems Concentration is a popular degree.  You can do this degree in 6 months for $1400/$2800 (1 or 2 terms)
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

The colleges we recommend are the Big 3:
1. Excelsior University
2. Charter Oak  (No longer recommended after they stopped accepting most Study.com courses)
3. Thomas Edison Unversity

The most popular CBE colleges recommended on DF
1. WGU
2. UMPI
3. PUG

You can also go to any college you want such as CUNY or UMASS however it may be harder to transfer in max transfer credits, cost more dollars and we don't currently have degree plans for those colleges

There are currently degree plans for CUNY SPS. However, you need 24 RA transfer credits and they don't take common ACE providers such as Sophia or Study.com. So this degree will only fit a few people.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:CUNY

The problem I saw with UMASS Global is a lot of ACE courses from Sophia and Study.com come in as free electives, which makes it impossible to transfer in the max 90 credits which would greatly increase the cost of going to UMASS. 

Degree Plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ca...gree_Plans
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ss20ts
(11-20-2022, 09:38 AM)LevelUP Wrote: UMPI's Business Administration with Project Management and Information Systems Concentration is a popular degree.  You can do this degree in 6 months for $1400/$2800 (1 or 2 terms)
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

The colleges we recommend are the Big 3:
1. Excelsior University
2. Charter Oak  (No longer recommended after they stopped accepting most Study.com courses)
3. Thomas Edison Unversity

The most popular CBE colleges recommended on DF
1. WGU
2. UMPI
3. PUG

You can also go to any college you want such as CUNY or UMASS however it may be harder to transfer in max transfer credits, cost more dollars and we don't currently have degree plans for those colleges. 

Degree Plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ca...gree_Plans

Thank you so much for your answer! I thought this part of the forum was here to help people create a degree plan? Aren't there any users that went to UMass Global?
Most people here choose not to go to UMass Global because a.) it costs more than the other options and b.) the writing requirements can apparently be pretty insane. Which degree do you want from UMass Global that you can't get from elsewhere? We can certainly do what we can to help you, but we don't have a lot of experience with UMass Global, for the above-stated reasons.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-20-2022, 10:37 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Most people here choose not to go to UMass Global because a.) it costs more than the other options and b.) the writing requirements can apparently be pretty insane. Which degree do you want from UMass Global that you can't get from elsewhere? We can certainly do what we can to help you, but we don't have a lot of experience with UMass Global, for the above-stated reasons.

Thank you for your response! I want a BBA in Information Systems Management
Ah ha. I'm not sure how I missed that.

I agree with LevelUP that UMPI's PM & Information Systems degree is probably going to be your best bet. They won't allow you to enroll before you turn 20, but you can accumulate credits from Sophia & Study.com while you wait.

There is also WGU, which would be similar to UMPI in that you would be able to accumulate Sophia & Study.com credits, but you couldn't enroll right away. You wouldn't be allowed to enroll until you are in the US. They have an accelerated Business degree in IT Management + Masters that might interest you: https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/ac...ogram.html It's probably very similar to the IS Management degree from UMass Global.

Finally, I know you said you want a Business degree, but since you are an EU citizen, you might be able to get a Bachelor of Science in IT for only about 600 euros total through Metropolia University in Finland. I don't know if they would check your German gymnasium/High School graduation status, but they might accept the GED.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
There is no practical difference between ISM, MIS, IS, CIS for a degree. Your best bet is either TESU or UMPI if you want to use alternative credit sources for this type of degree. A degree from Europe will be a lot slower and annoying, not worth saving the money imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FastTrackDegree's post:
  • Slammyelis
(11-20-2022, 11:46 AM)FastTrackDegree Wrote: There is no practical difference between ISM, MIS, IS, CIS for a degree. Your best bet is either TESU or UMPI if you want to use alternative credit sources for this type of degree. A degree from Europe will be a lot slower and annoying, not worth saving the money imo.

Yeah, I agree I would not want to waste my time here. So are there any degree plans? What do you guys think about doing an ASNSM in Maths as fast as possible to leverage it for a better job here until I could enroll in UMPI or WGU for my BA? It looks like I will be staying here for atleast 6 months so I'd rather use my time and have accomplished something. I could technically transfer my Associates into my bachelors, right? Also I see a cross next to the CIS degree at TESU, does it mean that it isnt available anymore? Do we have degree plans for that and could I technically transfer in credits from the ASNSM? I think in Europe and in the US its always nice to say that you studied math a little bit more intensely even if it isnt really the case and you are just showing off

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 954 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 360 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 6 486 02-17-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Help - Engineering Degree for European Student Bat1234 6 587 01-06-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Bat1234
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 8 893 01-04-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Hi! Prospective law school student. Need 30-ish credits to graduate within 6 months. CaughtInTheRye12 23 1,653 12-28-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  UK Student with 1st Year of BS complete already jjlumc 4 619 11-22-2023, 11:25 AM
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,346 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Getting to a one year bachelors degree without CLEP Bosnian_Slovenian 23 1,408 11-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Bosnian_Slovenian
  International tentative TESU degree plan help F00X 12 660 10-29-2023, 12:46 PM