Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st degree at TESU... 2nd at COSC?
Has anyone completed a 2nd bachelor's at Charter Oak after earning their first at TESU? 

I know the typical train of thought is to skip a second bachelor's and earn a MS, but I would love to use a second BA as a way to boost my grades by taking classes at a local CC before applying for a MS.

At the same time, I would hope to be better prepared for a MS in Criminal Justice by getting the intro classes underfoot. I figure I  might as well earn something while learning the basics.

Forgive me if this is something that has already been discussed and I missed it during my search.
I haven't done that yet but that's what I'm about to do. Finishing my first degree at TESU in June, finally, and then doing a 2nd one at COSC. It makes sense for me because my degree is a double major and so TESU counts it as 2 degrees, and TESU doesn't give 3rds but COSC does.

I will do a Master's after that
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(04-15-2019, 08:39 AM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote: Has anyone completed a 2nd bachelor's at Charter Oak after earning their first at TESU? 

I know the typical train of thought is to skip a second bachelor's and earn a MS, but I would love to use a second BA as a way to boost my grades by taking classes at a local CC before applying for a MS.

At the same time, I would hope to be better prepared for a MS in Criminal Justice by getting the intro classes underfoot. I figure I  might as well earn something while learning the basics.

Forgive me if this is something that has already been discussed and I missed it during my search.

It depends what the major(s) you'd want to do at each school. If are only doing it for grades and the second degree won't add any value, then why not just get a good GPA for the first degree? TESU lets you earn two degrees or even just a dual area of study so it would be easier and cheaper to do that and earn two degrees at the same school.

Also, only courses taken at TESU are part of your TESU GPA, so you CC courses would be counted separately as a CC GPA same goes for COSC.

You can do whatever you want but it seems like a lot of work to get a 2nd Bachelors at a different school solely for the purpose of getting a higher GPA.

Also I think you would after to earn a certain number of new credits after your TESU degree confers in order to get a degree at COSC so that could take a while.
(04-15-2019, 03:05 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 08:39 AM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote: Has anyone completed a 2nd bachelor's at Charter Oak after earning their first at TESU? 

It depends what the major(s) you'd want to do at each school. If are only doing it for grades and the second degree won't add any value, then why not just get a good GPA for the first degree? TESU lets you earn two degrees or even just a dual area of study so it would be easier and cheaper to do that and earn two degrees at the same school.

Also, only courses taken at TESU are part of your TESU GPA, so you CC courses would be counted separately as a CC GPA same goes for COSC.

You can do whatever you want but it seems like a lot of work to get a 2nd Bachelors at a different school solely for the purpose of getting a higher GPA.
I completed the first degree at TESU after transferring in about 100 units. When I was in my early 20s I was a horrible student. I passed but not with a 3.0 which is ideal for applying to grad school. My hope is that I can establish a higher GPA by completing additional units. If I am going to take additional courses, I figured I could apply them to a second degree. Now that TESUs requirements have changed, I recognize that maybe COSC is a better option for degree #2. I would of course, complete as many units as possible at an institution that provides a grade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fingerscrossedx2's post:
  • natshar
(04-15-2019, 04:02 PM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 03:05 PM)natshar Wrote:

I completed the first degree at TESU after transferring in about 100 units. When I was in my early 20s I was a horrible student. I passed but not with a 3.0 which is ideal for applying to grad school. My hope is that I can establish a higher GPA by completing additional units. If I am going to take additional courses, I figured I could apply them to a second degree. Now that TESUs requirements have changed, I recognize that maybe COSC is a better option for degree #2. I would of course, complete as many units as possible at an institution that provides a grade.

Makes sense. That is an interesting case and I didn't realize your TESU degree was already completed. Yeah TESU is definitely making things more complicated.
I would probably just skip the 2nd degree and take a bunch of easy classes at your local inexpensive CC if that's an option. When you apply to grad school, you send them your transcripts from all of your schools, but you don't need to have earned a degree (you can say you were taking courses towards a 2nd degree but decided to just apply to grad school if you want).

Also, look into grade replacement if that's an option at the original school you went to. It's much easier to boost your GPA by replacing a D with an A than trying to get a bunch more graded courses (which might mean that you have to take a LOT of courses to offset your old GPA). Use a GPA calculator to show your current GPA, and how many courses you need to get your total GPA to a 3.0. I'll bet it will take so many, it's not worth it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 145 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 970 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 19 664 03-08-2024, 06:43 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,029 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 816 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,824 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accelerate Newlane degree with unaccredited degree? Pinko64 5 620 10-31-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 38,952 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,213 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Is it possible to get a bachelor's degree in anything with mostly Sophia, etc? whiverem 19 2,218 06-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: ss20ts