Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 COVID Vaccines Approved, End to Pandemic in Sight??
(04-08-2021, 11:25 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: The truth Democrats today are still the party of Jim Crow and still support Jim Crow policies such as gun control. The NRA one of the longest running civil rights group, that trained blacks to use guns for self defense, so democrats couldn’t lynch them has always supported the Republican Party.  There simply was never a switch.

According to the Tuskegee Institute, 4,743 people were lynched between 1882 and 1968 in the United States, including 3,446 African Americans and 1,297 whites.  Whites were lynched for fighting racism.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Sapientes, videogamesrock
(04-08-2021, 11:25 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Why would anyone get a vaccine that has a 90% success rate for a disease you have a 99.6% survival rate. Has the public school system created a generation of retards?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Surviving doesn't mean living. There are hundreds of thousands of people in the UK alone who have caught covid and who now cannot work because of long-term health effects. Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but I'd rather not be a vegetable for the rest of my life because of "just a flu".
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, LevelUP, TINASAM
> hundreds of thousands of people in the UK alone who have caught covid and who now cannot work because of long-term health effects

I seriously doubt that
maybe a few hundred cannot work because of long-term health effects, but hundreds of thousands ?

and I have no sources to back that up
I just don't believe the number could be that high
(04-09-2021, 09:41 AM)bluebooger Wrote: >  hundreds of thousands of people in the UK alone who have caught covid and who now cannot work because of long-term health effects

I seriously doubt that                  
maybe a few hundred cannot work because of long-term health effects, but hundreds of thousands ?  

and I have no sources to back that up              
I just don't believe the number could be that high

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021...long-covid

122k health care workers + 114k teachers = hundreds of thousands. 

Now, it's true that not all of them are completely disabled because of their long-term effects. But it also doesn't mean that they can work anywhere near as much as before.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Novo
> 114k teachers

wait .. so they didn't close the schools ?
how do 114k teachers have long covid

maybe I can see doctors and nurses who are exposed to it every day for months and months having it (though I still think a 3 week vacation on a sunny beach would cure them -- I think most of this is just depression and exhaustion from extremely long work hours and work weeks and no vacation for the past year all while dealing with an overflow of patients many of whom who can be very sick)

but how would so many teachers be affected by long covid if the schools were closed ?
were they not closed ?
The UK didn't close the schools. They did so briefly and then reopened them. I have British friends who are/were annoyed because there's no online option for schooling as in the US. You could withdraw your child completely, and lose your place at that school, or keep your child in school and they get to help spread sickness to the teachers.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(04-09-2021, 12:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The UK didn't close the schools. They did so briefly and then reopened them. I have British friends who are/were annoyed because there's no online option for schooling as in the US. You could withdraw your child completely, and lose your place at that school, or keep your child in school and they get to help spread sickness to the teachers.

There are MANY places in the US where schools were open 100%, and yet hundreds of thousands of teachers did NOT get Covid.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • bluebooger
There was never a pandemic to begin with. A real pandemic is visibly seen. It does not need 24 hour marketing from media outlets.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 2 users Like videogamesrock's post:
  • bluebooger, StoicJ
Polypeptide-based protein interference
New polypeptide could provide universal protection against coronaviruses (news-medical.net)
Replying to the first post, the situation has alleviated to a greater extent in the US. But as it was put - "No one is safe until everyone's safe." With populous countries like Brazil and India still reeling under dire circumstances, the fight is far from over. The double mutation in India is said to be more potent than the earlier mutations. Some studies have also pointed to the inefficacy of vaccines on the new strand (only time can tell how bad it is). India is reporting 300,000+ cases on average, and the situation looks grim with a shortage of beds and oxygen. Experts say the situation could reach a point where India reports around 700-800k cases per day. The situation though reminds me of Emily Mendel's Station Eleven, a novel I had read at the start of the pandemic. The novel talks about a pandemic that wipes out 99% of the population. However, the new normal that the pandemic has perpetrated seems like a post-apocalyptic world to many. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2021/...-19-strain

While I was looking to attach an article about double mutation, I found something scarier - a triple mutation.

https://africa.businessinsider.com/news/...nt/lx7dgtk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon ‘censored’ COVID-19 vaccine books after ‘feeling pressure’ from Biden White Ho Charles Fout 1 395 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,080 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  The Pandemic Effect on Food Deserts Kal Di 6 769 04-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  You Versus Pandemic Inflation (What to Consider) Kal Di 14 1,435 03-16-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Xyxyfendz
  The Pandemic Effect Is... Kal Di 1 676 02-10-2022, 12:58 AM
Last Post: WilliamC340
  Covid Update Alpha 24 2,334 02-02-2022, 11:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Should You Be Required to Show a COVID Vaccination Card In Order to Vote? LevelUP 44 4,176 08-29-2021, 04:14 AM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Pandemic-To-Permanent bjcheung77 9 1,197 05-18-2021, 09:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Commencements During COVID natshar 6 1,171 04-02-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Anyone Else Getting Sick of This COVID Crap? LevelUP 33 3,404 07-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: StoicJ