Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Credits for a Pay raise
I am on this site because I'm preparing for a CLEP test. However, my son in going into the Air Force on June 21st. He says he is two credit short of a pay raise based on the college classes that he has taken. I never though about him earning credits for testing until I saw this forum! Will the military accept CLEP tests? Is there another format that miliary personnel are using.

If he can test out of the credits he needs, I'll definitely have him subscribe to this site!

Thank you in advance. I'm just not sure how this works.
Others more knowledgeable on the subject may chime in, but I seem to remember that the military won't count CLEP's towards the college requirement in lieu of a GED. I'm not sure if this counts towards early promotions as well.

Even if they don't, have him look at something like StraighterLine or the FEMA courses. If you get those transcribed by one of their partner colleges, then it 'should' count as the additional two credits he needs. Since FEMA courses are free, it may be the cheaper (and quicker) option. You'd still end up paying the college to transcribe them, but it may come out cheaper in the end.

Let's wait for some others to weigh in. I'm uncomfortable speaking as gospel on the subject since my own experience with this is limited.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
bhsm Wrote:I am on this site because I'm preparing for a CLEP test. However, my son in going into the Air Force on June 21st. He says he is two credit short of a pay raise based on the college classes that he has taken. I never though about him earning credits for testing until I saw this forum! Will the military accept CLEP tests? Is there another format that miliary personnel are using.

If he can test out of the credits he needs, I'll definitely have him subscribe to this site!

Thank you in advance. I'm just not sure how this works.

You don't have to subscribe to take or prepare for CLEP, this site does have flashcards, but it's not necessary. Welcome!
I can't speak for the Air Forces specific policies, but I've taken 17 CLEP exams while active duty in the Navy, for a total of 57 credits in just a few months, and the Navy paid for every single one of them. They are all accepted by my college so I see no reason the AF wouldn't take them.

Edit: Ok I re read what you said and now I know what you mean. You son isn't in the AF yet, but he's in the process of signing up/leaving for boot camp. If you have a certain amount of credits, you can come in as an E-2 or E-3 (instead of E-1) after boot camp. To the best of my knowledge the AF will accept CLEPs as credits towards the credits needed to start a paygrade up. I would imagine they would have to be on his official college transcripts from the college he attended.
Yes, have him take the CLEPS before joining, the extra Time in Grade will help him down the road.

The little boost in pay right away will also help. Wink
two thoughts:

1. FEMA is likely the quickest route and can be officially done in less than 4 weeks. Here is the link to FEMA Emergency Management Institute - FEMA Independent Study Program they will direct you here WWW.EM-STUDY.COM FEMA courses can be completed very quickly, like he could finish two courses today easily. Then for $76 a credit Frederick CC will turn them into Regionally Accredited College electives. They say it takes up to 4 weeks but I bet it happens pretty quickly. This is definantly the way I would go if you have 4 weeks, its even easier than the easiest CLEP.

2. Is an ACE transcript acceptable? If so you could complete an ALEKS math course or the NFA supervisor series (it's like FEMA but a bit more difficult IMHO). Then just get it transcribed through ACE and your set. The military is pretty ACE friendly I think, but you need to be sure the Air Force will accept it.

I think option one is the most certain route. I would recommend your boy do two FEMA's from the "Professional Developement" courses. Bang out 2 of them and start the credit process at Frederick CC so your entrance requirements for the raise are covered. Then do the other 5 courses in the series and FEMA will send you a cool certificate of completion that he can put into his resume packet. (the other five courses could be converted through Frederick also) Emergency Management Institute - FEMA Independent Study Program

Best of luck !!!

Mike
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,471 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,880 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,440 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,425 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,883 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Advanced Enlistment with College Credits jmeitrem 15 7,230 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: C5259
  Cheap source of credits for veterans UptonSinclair 7 2,730 01-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,142 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3
  how to verify credits? cookderosa 22 3,289 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  DLPT 1/1 good for how many credits? GamingTheSystem 1 1,266 01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Last Post: ReyB250