Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Degrees from Thomas Edison State College?
sanantone Wrote:I believe this is a common practice; it's not just at TESC.

Do the other two schools in the big 3 have the same rules for the 2nd degree?
JTP Wrote:Do the other two schools in the big 3 have the same rules for the 2nd degree?

COSC is even stricter.

Quote:To earn a second baccalaureate degree a student must:

earn a minimum of 30 semester credits subsequent to the award of the initial degree
earn at least 15 of the subsequent credits at the upper level in the new Concentration
meet all distributive requirements
apply no more than 9 credits from the previous degree earned toward the new Concentration
Persons holding a Master of Arts or Master of Science or an earned doctorate must also request approval in writing from the Director of Admissions before applying for a bachelor's degree program.
Second Baccalaureate Candidates - Charter Oak State College

Excelsior is also stricter.
Quote:Three-quarters of the total number of credits required for the second degree may be transferred from the prior degree; one quarter of the credits required for the new degree must be earned as new credits, unrelated to the area of study (concentration, specialization, program, or major) of the first degree and not used to meet requirements of the first degree. Students may need to take more than the minimum number of new credits to complete the degree, depending upon the degree requirements.
Excelsior College | Second Degree
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
But, COSC has the concurrent degree option.

Concurrent Degree Policy

A student cannot concurrently earn a degree using substantially the same courses at two different institutions. Prior to completing the application, the student must seek approval from the Director of Admissions. The request for approval must include the field of study of the degree being sought at each institution and the courses to be included. The student must demonstrate that s/he will be taking at least 30 credits that are not in the other degree program. The 30 credits must be in the concentration and a minimum of 15-18 must be at the upper level.

sanantone Wrote:COSC is even stricter.

Excelsior is also stricter.

Excelsior College | Second Degree
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Interesting! I was originally thinking about getting a BA Natural Science/Mathematics from TESC just because I think I can knock it out very quickly, and then get a CS, CIS, or IS degree. That might end up putting me even farther away from a computer BS degree in the long run.
Is this some kind of recent policy change? It also states that TESC will not award a third bachelors or associate degree. I could have sworn some of the forum members here, have more than two bachelors / associates degrees from TESC. Though I can't name them off hand.

I myself was looking at BA:CS & BSBA CIS at TESC as a 'potential' combo but I'm not sure how that would work out in regards to the policy.

Kind of sad though, it makes me think that they're just using it to milk funds from prospective students.
Drakemoore Wrote:Is this some kind of recent policy change? It also states that TESC will not award a third bachelors or associate degree. I could have sworn some of the forum members here, have more than two bachelors / associates degrees from TESC. Though I can't name them off hand.

I myself was looking at BA:CS & BSBA CIS at TESC as a 'potential' combo but I'm not sure how that would work out in regards to the policy.

If I'm not mistaken, TESC will award a second associate's and a second bachelor's for a lifetime maximum of four potential undergraduate degrees per student. Associate's and bachelor's from any RA schools count toward this total. For example, if you come in with one associate's from elsewhere and no bachelor's, you could earn a second associate's at TESC (but not a third), then two bachelors' (but not a third).

I believe this policy has been described clearly in their catalog for years.
Yes, this policy has been there for years. It isn't about milking money from the students. TESC does not offer minors, so it's not easy to combine degrees across departments. There is not enough overlap between the BA and business degrees to allow students to double major. It would just be a complicated mess with the differences in the number of credits required for the area of study, business core, free electives, ect. All of the BA degrees have the same format, so that is why you can double major within those. The same goes for the BSAST and BSBA degrees. TESC does offer undergraduate certificates as another option. You can earn an unlimited number of those. You can even graduate with more than one at once.

If TESC really wanted to milk money from students, they would offer 3rd and 4th bachelors degrees. Their philosophy is to encourage students to move on to graduate school. I've heard they won't even let you (or will strongly discourage you to) go back to earn a second bachelors in a similar field such as criminal justice, social science, and psychology. To them, those have too much overlap in their curriculum and career-wise.

On another forum, someone mentioned something interesting about University of Texas - Austin's graduation rate dropping. Even though the quality of students has been going up, the 4-year graduation rate has been going down. I haven't confirmed this. The poster said it's because so many students get overwhelmed by double and triple majoring.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 2,719 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,678 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,815 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,793 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU My Edison log-in trouble JanuarySunshine 4 2,453 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: JanuarySunshine
  THOMAS EDISON ANALYZING AND INTERPRETING LIT Giantzebra 4 1,817 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: nashpond
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,858 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU MULTPLE DEGREES docmarvin 24 4,560 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,202 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning