Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 portfolio questions: PLA TESU and extra credits
I found an old thread while searching and the whole issue of whether or not Saylors open course counts is still confusing.  I get that it doesn't count for credit, but can one bypass TESU's PLA courses if they've done saylors?  Even a reply I saw by Marc didn't really clarify that because of the way the question was asked.

I did find out that learningcounts is no longer NCCRS approved (I thought they were).  It appears they now just partner with colleges. In fact, it really seems TESU uses learningcounts to assess there profolios.    I just got done with saylors open 100/200 courses and I really don't want to pay $1,500 to retake them.  

Any thoughts/advice?

As I stated in a previous reply, I'm trying to take "Public Policy, Crime and Criminal Justice".   Ideally I wanted to self-study and PLA the course rather than spending $1,500 to take it from TESU.  In their course it even mentions self study:  https://i.imgur.com/wqZJHoz.png
KUJO gave me the book TESU uses for the course and I ordered a similar college textbook that Colorado State University uses on a similar course.    I don't know if that would be enough though and "proof" would be an issue.   I did some research and found Saylors MOOC public policy course.  I could do that in addition to reading the two books because I would get a certificate I can use as proof.

As you can see, I would rather spend more time and less money.

The additional courses I could PLA to get credit on my transcript (even though I won't need anymore to reach 120 with my current plan):

Fire Fighting Tactics and Strategy(FIS-181)           \
Introduction to Fire Science(FIS-101)                      \
Forest Fire Protection and Management(FOR-371)       \
Beginning Guitar I(MUS-168)                                      |- 19 credits... I would only do 9 since it would be no extra cost after public policy.
Beginning Piano I(MUS-160)                                  /
First Aid, CPR, and Safety(FIT-190)                         /
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation(HEA-198)             /
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
(09-11-2017, 04:52 PM)Joeman200 Wrote: Fire Fighting Tactics and Strategy(FIS-181)           \
Introduction to Fire Science(FIS-101)                      \
Forest Fire Protection and Management(FOR-371)        \
Beginning Guitar I(MUS-168)                                      |- 19 credits... I would only do 9 since it would be no extra cost after public policy.
Beginning Piano I(MUS-160)                                  /
First Aid, CPR, and Safety(FIT-190)                         /
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation(HEA-198)             /

Just an FYI, FIS, FOR, FIT and HEA are all Free Electives.  Not sure you want to spend the time required for the PLA courses for those, since you don't need them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I believe you can get out of the one TESU PLA course and not the other.

Many people write at least 12 pages per course.

To update anyone reading this thread because they are also interested in PLA:

I inquired with learning counts and even if one has completed a PLA course prior to using learning counts, they would still need to take LC's course. Also, LC uses NCCRS, however, if you are enrolled at a partner school, they can automatically send recommendations to that school.

Doing research I read an old thread that said at TESU you only need PLA100 if you are only challenging 3 credits? Anyone know anything more on this? (still looking into what my cheapest option is)
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joeman200's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Hi!

Going through the PLA process right now at TESU. Of 7 in the first round, 4 have been approved. Doing a workup for 4 or 5 more.

They have told me repeatedly you will have to use TESU's PLA200, so factor that cost in. Especially if you only want one course.

ALLEGEDLY, they will consider courses from other accredited schools, but ONLY if they can get an expert to review it. Otherwise, you really need to search through their PLA database (or, potentially active courses, I am looking into that).

As others have said, if you get credit through learning counts in an attempt to bring it into your TESU official transcript, you need to contact admissions and see if they take it and what it will wash out as. For instance, a school I attended through wackenhut came out as CAP something intro to security. They took it, but it was unusable in my degree path.

AS to the question will they review something learning counts denied, I dunno. You will have to rehash it to fit their format, but I don't know if there is a central repository that they can look to see if you tried and was denied prior. They do require turnitin for your narrative.

Lastly, you pose an interesting question. I have no data on whether you can self study a topic with the direct intent of portfolioing it . I can tell you, they only want to see where a college-level learning opportunity occurred, so your idea is intriguing, if I read you correctly.

My 'feel' from this process is that TESU, while advertising heavily that you can get credit for life experiences, would rather you just fork over the cash and take a class from them instead. Expect a learning curve and running blind most of the time.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 2 users Like High_Order1's post:
  • Joeman200, Life Long Learning
Can you PLA graduate credits?

I have my eye on the educational leadership grad. certificate/supervisor endorsement. It is a 12 credit certificate and/or endorsement. It looks like I wouldn't even need the certificate because the State of New Jersey has a process to evaluate the credits for the endorsement. Then I could use reciprocity to transfer the certificate to Michigan and Wisconsin.

When I transferred my credits to TESU, they gave me EDL-510 and EDL-520. The certificate and/or endorsement requires EDL-520, EDL-530, EDL-540 and EDL-660.

I have been president of my education association for three years and held some sort of leadership position from the local to national level for 18 of my 19 years teaching. I kind of act as a de facto administrator within my district.

Thanks in advance for any info. on this.
Mike
If you're asking me; I haven't heard the answer to that question. It's probably in the thing that tells you how many credits have to come from their classes. Marc Singer is the Vice Provost for PLA, he has always been very good about responding to emails; bounce that off him and see.

Would be interesting to know!
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

link

Thanks, High Order! I just sent an email.
I *think* he is on autoresponder for the weekend now that I think about it.... sorry if there's a delay
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

link

(09-16-2017, 02:33 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Can you PLA graduate credits?

Great question. It seems that you can! Wow. http://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/Graduate-PLA.cfm

And their fees section says nothing about graduate PLA costing more. I wonder if it's the same price!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • High_Order1

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,617 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,024 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,583 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,293 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,284 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,323 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,818 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore