Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
20 yrs old...What to do with my money?
Just looking for some financial advice from you wise-old-folks Wink Anybody got any tips?

My Situation
Here's my situation. I'm 20 yrs old with a decent paying full-time job. I'm 3/4 of the way through my BS at Excelsior. I plan on going to grad school afterwards. (MA or Ph.D., haven't decided exactly what degree I want yet)

My Money's Situation
After my expenses, I'm left with approx. $18,000 a year to invest/save ($1,500 a month). As of today I have $15,000 sitting in a Charles Schwab Money Market (SW2XX) and another $5,000 in a Charles Schwab Mutual Fund (SWCGX).

I might need some of the money ($10,000 or so) in the near future to pay for my grad school (the rest I might be able to cover with a student loan), but other than that I will (hopefully) not need to touch this money at least until I need to make a down payment on a house (6 - 8 yrs from now).

My Questions
How should I invest my money? Should I open an IRA (Roth/Traditional)? Whats the best way I can take advantage of my situation (young age, low expenses)? Is it worth it for me to hire a financial consultant?
[SIZE="1"]-Daniel

-------Degree Info---------
BS in Liberal Studies from Excelsior
AARTS - 30 ll
CLEP - 51 ll
DSST - 9 ul
ECE - 15 ul
ECE - 6 ll
ACTFL OPI - 3 ll
Total LL: 90 out of 90
Total UL: 24 out of 30 (6 left)
Grand Total: 114 out of 120 (6 left)

-------Next Up!-----------
2 UL ECE
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Ani Yehudi![/SIZE]
No need for a financial consultant yet...IMO

But, I would definitely open the IRA and try to max that out. Not many things offer tax-free money and you can still invest it however you choose. The next would be to make sure you are utilizing any 401K options that you have with your employer...any matching?
Excelsior BS - General Business - 2008
Jacksonville State University - MBA - 2010(Done)

121 credits...ALL DONE BABY!!!

54 credits transferred in from prior college
54 credits by examination
6 credits from community college
3 credits from CSU-Pueblo (Operations Management)
4 credits for Information Literacy and Business Strategy from Excelsior

CLEP:
Principles of Macroeconomics (64)
Principles of Microeconomics (61)
Principles of Marketing (66)
Principles of Management (72)
Info Systems and Comp Applications (57)
Introductory Business Law (65)
Social Sciences & History (61)
DSST:
Principles of Supervision (58)
Principles of Statistics (67)
Introduction to Computing (60)
Principles of Financial Accounting (56)
Principles of Finance (55)
Money and Banking (52)
Ethics in America (66)
Management Information Systems (58)
ECE:
Ethics: Theory and Practice (B)
Organizational Behavior ©

GMAT: 600
I would open a Roth IRA right now and max it out. You can contribute $4000/yr and any gains are tax free as long as you withdraw it after you turn 60 (I think)

With the economy sucking as it is, I'd do lots of research before you put your money into any kind of investment. You're doing good right now having it in a money market account. As far as investments go, T. Rowe Price has mutual funds specifically targeted for certain retirement years. Those are another thing you might want to look into.

There is a book called The Automatic Millionaire by David Bach that you should read. It has lots of info about compound interest, investing in real estate, etc.. It's a really good book and I would recommend it to anyone.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps Smile
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
Here's a link to a great explanation about Roth and Traditional IRAs.

How to Choose Between Traditional And Roth 401k - Retirement Guide on Yahoo! Personal Finance

BTW, ever think about starting your own business?
I have 18 traditional credits and 51 exam credits. I've passed Introductory Sociology 76, Introductory Psychology 68, A&I Literature 66, Principles of Marketing 76, Introductory Business Law 71, Social Sciences & History 67, DSST Drug & Alcohol Abuse 450, Biology 69, Principles of Management 70, Natural Sciences 64, Intro to Business DSST 70, Principles of Macroeconomics 67, Principles of Microeconomics 58.
[QUOTE=Danielp248]Just looking for some financial advice from you wise-old-folks Wink Anybody got any tips?

My Situation
Here's my situation. I'm 20 yrs old with a decent paying full-time job. I'm 3/4 of the way through my BS at Excelsior. I plan on going to grad school afterwards. (MA or Ph.D., haven't decided exactly what degree I want yet)

My Money's Situation
After my expenses, I'm left with approx. $18,000 a year to invest/save ($1,500 a month). As of today I have $15,000 sitting in a Charles Schwab Money Market (SW2XX) and another $5,000 in a Charles Schwab Mutual Fund (SWCGX).

I might need some of the money ($10,000 or so) in the near future to pay for my grad school (the rest I might be able to cover with a student loan), but other than that I will (hopefully) not need to touch this money> at least until I need to make a down payment on a house (6 - 8 yrs from now).

My Questions
How should I invest my money? Should I open an IRA (Roth/Traditional)? Whats the best way I can take advantage of my situation (young age, low expenses)? Is it worth it for me to hire a financial consultant?[/QUOT

No matter what you do, no matter what path you choose- THE most important thing will be to have a retirement account going that you NEVER touch. Ever. When my husband and I were 25 we bought our first house and cashed out our 401s. We thought that having $6000 was so much use to us at that moment. It took us years until we built that back up, AND we will never regain the compound interest lost. Compound interest is your friend when you are young. Slow and steady contributions will have huge payoffs. At some point within this decade you will probably marry and maybe start a family- so your "extra" money won't be quite as much. My two cents say to put it away for retirement, because once you start a family, that is what sometimes gets neglected.
I have a money market w/ charles schwab, too with less than $10,000 in it.
I don't recommend it at all! Poor rates, poor returns. I only see a good rate one month a year and that itself is still lower than CD rates.

What I do with my money (since I need flexibility) is I put it in 1 year CDs, or 6 month CDs, depending on rates and my needs when rollover time comes around. I can't do this forever but right now money flexibility on a rainy day is more important to me than a retirement that's more than 40 years away. I would, though, if your company matches it, go with that instead. Matching & maxing out is great. (if you go for CDs, go for short term for now because rates are not at their peak, so don't lock in for a 5 year CD until the yields are raised)

Also, no need for financial consultant..and try to stay away from stocks, especially if you don't know what your doing. I see way too many young adults risk their entire savings and losing it all, right before getting married and buying a home. If you go into stocks (which I don't recommend for you), take a course all about stocks first. My mother plays stocks - very well - but that's because she took a course, she knows what she's doing, and she calculates and diversifies! Diversification is always a good idea, no matter what type of money investment you enter.
Credits Racked Up.....71
Peers: (Still) Not Even Outta High School Yet.
No More CLEPs left. I've taken them all! :p
Spring 2009: Managerial Accounting, Business Cal, Statistics
Others have given you some great advise. I also agree if you have employer match for a 401k take advantage of that with at least what they match. There are also many forums out there for financial ideas and knowledge. I look at this forum alot: FatWallet Forums - Finance they talk about any and everything finance related. Many people have posted similiar posts to yours.

HawkGuy Wrote:I would open a Roth IRA right now and max it out. You can contribute $4000/yr and any gains are tax free as long as you withdraw it after you turn 60 (I think)

Actually for 2008 its been raised to $5,000 for a Roth IRA contribution. I would also start this as soon as you can and plan on leaving it in there and not touching it until retirement.
$5,000? Nice. I didn't know that. Guess I'd better start increasing my contributions haha
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
Read Dave Ramsey's book NOW. Follow his advice. You are in the perfect position for life.

Amazon.com: The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness: Dave Ramsey: Books
[COLOR="Blue"]Excelsior College
102 credits complete
20 UL Credits to go (7 tests)
BS Liberal Studies
Area of Focus:Computer Information Science
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Next test:
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (August 6th)[/COLOR]

You could take 25 DSST tests or 27 CLEP tests for the price of 1 UoP class.
Greggy_D Wrote:Read Dave Ramsey's book NOW. Follow his advice. You are in the perfect position for life.

No way!!! I listen to Dave Ramsey everyday on talk radio. hilarious
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degreed raises money for their Learning & Upskilling Platform bjcheung77 0 472 09-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Some People Have Found a Novel Way to Get Money to Ukrainians LevelUP 0 506 03-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Quick money RoyalSpade 11 2,057 08-12-2021, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Money & banking saripadya 2 742 04-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Last Post: AngelaP
  Don't borrow money for school...it can hurt you and those close to you... rebel100 44 6,041 12-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Money Woes - Just Blowing Off Steam Tedium 6 944 04-19-2015, 09:45 PM
Last Post: KittenMittens
  Homeschoolers: If money weren't an issue.... burbuja0512 15 2,154 01-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Last Post: taylor