Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 TESU Graduate - Thank You thread!
I wanted to post a big thank you to this community, and especially to the active and knowledgeable members who give so freely of their time.  In December 2019 I graduated from TESU with a BALS - Humanities degree as well as an ASNSM - Comp Sci degree.  

The ASNSM was a last minute decision, so I scrambled in September to complete the CSMLearn math course (needed that second math course) and a Study.com Geology course (needed 1 more Natural World class).  

I was one course shy of being able to use the Natural Science and Math concentration for my BALS, but ultimately decided that I was happy with the Humanities concentration and getting my diploma in 2019.

I started my higher ed journey in 2017 with zero credits, after finding that the 60 community college credits I earned in the late 80s were no good because the school wasn't accredited back then. I managed to get into SNHU's College for America competency based program where I earned 39 credits in six months. I then transferred to TESU and used alternative credits for the rest of my coursework. Remember the awesome Study.com 3 month Guardian scholarship?

I also received the Pierpont BoG Associate of Applied Science with an emphasis in English in 2019.  It was free and sure looks nice in a frame, even if the transcript issue still limits its value.  First applied for it in 2017, but the ball was dropped a few times.    Tongue   The cool thing is that Pierpont did accept most of my old orphaned credits from the 80s, so they ended up being used after all.  

Finishing up everything took me 2.5 years, with a lot of life happening along the way.  The journey itself was so much fun that I'm almost sorry it's over. So many hours with my planning spreadsheet and data mining this forum!   

My biggest advice to folks would be to just get started. I lurked here on and off for many years, dating back to the BAin4Weeks days when the main options for alternative credit were CLEP, DANTES and GRE subject tests. We have so many more credit options now. Even though the big 3 keep changing requirements and policies, it's still as possible as ever to do this, especially with the help available on this forum. And newer CBE options like WGU and College for America give us even more options.

What's next? I'm 30+ years into a great job as a senior software developer, but I'm 51 and will be eligible for early retirement soon, and I may explore careers in other fields while drawing a retirement check! I'm also thinking about Grad school.  

And I'm sure I'll continue to lurk on this forum, chiming in whenever I have something useful to contribute.  Anyone who wants to reach out with a question can PM me or ask right here. Thanks!
TESU: BALS Capstone
SNHU CfA: Intro to Ethics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Argumentation & Communication, Intro to Mass Communications, Intro to Philosophy, World Lit I, Environmental Science, Business Communication, Principles of Management, Online Success, Skills for Business 
CLEP: Eng Comp 
Sophia.org: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict, Ancient Greek Philosophers
Study.com: Personal Finance, Presentation Skills, Info Literacy, Intro to Computing, Earth Science, A History of Vietnam War, Intro to Political Science, American Government, Database Management, Info Systems, Physical Geology
CSM Learn: The CSM Course
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 
Shmoop: History of Technology, Human Sexuality, U.S. History I & II, Classical Lit, The Bible as Lit, Psychology 101, Shakespeare's Plays, Professional Writing, Media Literacy, Journalism 101, Lit in the Media, Intro to E-Commerce
The Institutes: Ethics
TECEP: Computer Concepts and Applications
ALEKS: College Algebra
[-] The following 7 users Like badooble's post:
  • allvia, BrighterFuture88, CarpeDiem8, Clepper43, Imadillo, magflo, Merlin
Great work! Congrats. Thanks for the writeup, it's fun to see how people's journey unfolded.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • badooble
Congratulations! Retiring in your 50s sound great, hope you find some great use for your skills and time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • badooble
Congratulations! That’s a great journey - thanks for sharing your story!!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 2 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • badooble, BrighterFuture88
I finished my TESU degree last year and I'd like to second all that. This community was instrumental in helping me do it
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 3 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • badooble, CarpeDiem8, magflo
That's awesome man, your story gives me hope. Heck man, you should get a Masters and a PhD lol. I am 42 years old with ZERO credits, but I had a dream of getting a PhD when I was 20 years old. Because of stories like yours and this forum I am going to attain that PhD goal even if it takes 10 years.

Sincerely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes carsonallen77's post:
  • badooble
Congrats well done!
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetsugarNL's post:
  • badooble
Congratulations! Well done!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • badooble
Congrats on getting this far and completing the degree after all that hard work!! That was an awesome read, it's hard to start over from zero when you've gone through many credits at that previous institution. Perseverance paid off on this big time and you got those two extra Associates to boot! Question, was the SNHU College of America course paid off by your employer?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • badooble
(01-27-2020, 03:55 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Congrats on getting this far and completing the degree after all that hard work!!  That was an awesome read, it's hard to start over from zero when you've gone through many credits at that previous institution.  Perseverance paid off on this big time and you got those two extra Associates to boot!  Question, was the SNHU College of America course paid off by your employer?

It wasn't.  I got in by taking advantage of an informal friends and family loophole and making a 'friend' with someone I found on LinkedIn who was attending. My employer wasn't a partner with the school. Honestly, I think they just let me in so I would quite pestering them.  

I took the full $1500 cost as a tax credit, though.  Very cheap credits if you can get in and if you qualify for a higher ed tax credit.  There aren't a ton of options as far as majors or electives, so I ultimately jumped ship but it's a great program. The price has gone up a bit, but $2500 for 6 months is still cheap.
TESU: BALS Capstone
SNHU CfA: Intro to Ethics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Argumentation & Communication, Intro to Mass Communications, Intro to Philosophy, World Lit I, Environmental Science, Business Communication, Principles of Management, Online Success, Skills for Business 
CLEP: Eng Comp 
Sophia.org: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict, Ancient Greek Philosophers
Study.com: Personal Finance, Presentation Skills, Info Literacy, Intro to Computing, Earth Science, A History of Vietnam War, Intro to Political Science, American Government, Database Management, Info Systems, Physical Geology
CSM Learn: The CSM Course
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 
Shmoop: History of Technology, Human Sexuality, U.S. History I & II, Classical Lit, The Bible as Lit, Psychology 101, Shakespeare's Plays, Professional Writing, Media Literacy, Journalism 101, Lit in the Media, Intro to E-Commerce
The Institutes: Ethics
TECEP: Computer Concepts and Applications
ALEKS: College Algebra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 783 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch