Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Bachelor vs Masters....both?!
(01-28-2022, 07:43 PM)freeloader Wrote: I would offer a bit of a dissenting opinion. I did the UMPI BA in Accounting and the BABA in Mgmt. & Leadership. I plan to get an MBA and a master’s in accounting. Many of the programs that interest me, particularly on the MBA side, have prerequisite courses, such as upper-level management courses and marketing.  If I need to complete those prerequisite courses as part of my MBA, they will cost $1,000-$2,000 each. It took me 2 extra sessions (total cost $2,800) to add the BABA to my BA in accounting. I think completing these courses as part of the MBA program would have cost me as much or more. Beyond that, i have an “extra” credential that may help be until I am ready to get my MBA, might help myself get into a better MBA program, etc.

Also, no reason to get the BA in Accounting, graduate, then do the BABA, just do a double major (accounting and business administration) as part of one degree, if you decide to go that route.  Depending on the courses you brought in, courses you may have completed to meet your requirements for your accounting degree (such as getting to 120 hours, requisite upper level courses, etc) you may be able to finish a double major quicker than you think.

First, not everyone is going to choose an MBA program with those kinds of pre-reqs.  Many MBA programs have no pre-reqs other than a business degree.  Second, can't you just incorporate any pre-reqs you may have into the BA in Accounting degree?  Not sure why you'd have to add a full degree on.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-28-2022, 07:43 PM)freeloader Wrote: I would offer a bit of a dissenting opinion. I did the UMPI BA in Accounting and the BABA in Mgmt. & Leadership. I plan to get an MBA and a master’s in accounting. Many of the programs that interest me, particularly on the MBA side, have prerequisite courses, such as upper-level management courses and marketing.  If I need to complete those prerequisite courses as part of my MBA, they will cost $1,000-$2,000 each. It took me 2 extra sessions (total cost $2,800) to add the BABA to my BA in accounting. I think completing these courses as part of the MBA program would have cost me as much or more. Beyond that, i have an “extra” credential that may help be until I am ready to get my MBA, might help myself get into a better MBA program, etc.

Also, no reason to get the BA in Accounting, graduate, then do the BABA, just do a double major (accounting and business administration) as part of one degree, if you decide to go that route.  Depending on the courses you brought in, courses you may have completed to meet your requirements for your accounting degree (such as getting to 120 hours, requisite upper level courses, etc) you may be able to finish a double major quicker than you think.

That's a really good suggestion about the double major. I have a fair number of extra business courses that I did at SDC for giggles that may apply. Thanks for the suggestion!
As an update, I just got confirmation back from UMPI and I am now enrolled for a double major. The beauty of it is that it turns out I only needed one additional class. Thanks for the tip freeloader.

I had a chance to check out Coursera over the weekend and it looks pretty darn amazing. It's on my long-term to-do list. 

Thanks to all for their input and assistance. 

S
[-] The following 2 users Like lidel's post:
  • Tedium, Vle045
(01-31-2022, 10:58 AM)lidel Wrote: As an update, I just got confirmation back from UMPI and I am now enrolled for a double major. The beauty of it is that it turns out I only needed one additional class. Thanks for the tip freeloader.

I had a chance to check out Coursera over the weekend and it looks pretty darn amazing. It's on my long-term to-do list. 

S

That's the perfect solution!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
lidel Wrote:As an update, I just got confirmation back from UMPI and I am now enrolled for a double major. The beauty of it is that it turns out I only needed one additional class. Thanks for the tip freeloader.

S

Great job, that's what I would recommend too if you're interested in a double major... especially since it's just one course extra for that second major!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-31-2022, 11:58 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
lidel Wrote:As an update, I just got confirmation back from UMPI and I am now enrolled for a double major. The beauty of it is that it turns out I only needed one additional class. Thanks for the tip freeloader.

S

Great job, that's what I would recommend too if you're interested in a double major... especially since it's just one course extra for that second major!
Yup, I'm pretty excited!
(01-31-2022, 05:27 PM)lidel Wrote:
(01-31-2022, 11:58 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

S

Yup, I'm pretty excited!
You said you're doing accounting right? What's the second major?
(02-01-2022, 09:56 PM)booklovingirl Wrote: You said you're doing accounting right? What's the second major?

I believe the BABA with Management and Leadership concentration based on the initial post.
(02-01-2022, 10:11 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 09:56 PM)booklovingirl Wrote: You said you're doing accounting right? What's the second major?

I believe the BABA with Management and Leadership concentration based on the initial post.

My apologies, I just saw this now. And yes, ss20ts was bang on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lidel's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 390 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 379 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 440 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 238 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 357 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Affordable Online Masters degrees related to biology NotJoeBiden 6 512 01-24-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 910 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
  Masters Degree Planning TomatoLettuce 3 590 11-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: TomatoLettuce
  BA from UMPI -> ENEB Masters? ecdw94 8 1,160 10-12-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: rachel83az