Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Bachelors or MBA?
Hello All,

I posted earlier that I finally finished my BBA at Baker College (Yay!). I want to immediately get in and start working on another degree. I own an IT business and have basically self taught myself everything over the years. However, I would like to get an IT related degree to help boost my credentials.

I was thinking of hopping into the WGU MBA - IT program. But after reviewing, I think it may be beneficial to get another undergrab IT degree from WGU first. Why? I think the certs could be very useful for me. I would like some input from anyone who has finished an IT degree from WGU. The programs I am considering from WGU undergrad are: 

1. Bachelor of Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
2. Bachelor of Network Administration & IT Security
3. Bachelor of Information Technology

I am not really interested in the Computer Science degree because my understanding is that it is very math intensive (I despise math). One thing is that I am not looking to take a very hard program. I do not want to program. I'd prefer an IT program that would allow me to earn some certifications and a Bachelors degree to add to my credentials.

Considering all of this, I assume all my general education requirements would be met with my other bachelor's. What path do you think is the best? One other thing I am thinking is that I want to pad my credentials to go along with my experience so if I sell the business down the line I can try to get a high paying corporate IT job. 

Or do you think it's a waste to get a bachelors and just go for the MBA in my situation?
Network Operations and Security
Baker College BBA (Graduated May 2019)
SL Credits: 54
ALEKS Credits: 9
Is your end goal an MBA in IT Mgmt even if you do the second bachelors? If so, I'd say do the MBA first and if you still have it left in your tank you can always come back to a second bachelors (or just pay your own way on certification).

That being said, I got a second bachelors from WGU for similar reasons and enjoyed the process and don't regret it. I don't own my own business though, and my employer paid my way (and I ended up getting a promotion in the process) so I had less to lose.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Or even use the grad credits to transfer into a BA program simultaneously.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I'm not certain why you'd get an MBA when it doesn't sound like that's your ultimate goal? You want all of the IT stuff, and a possible "high paying IT job" in the future...

I would get an IT degree (BA or MA) and then consider an MBA down the line. With limited time and money, you're better off getting the degree you want and think you'll make more use of now, so that if life happens, you won't look back and think you wasted your time/money on something you didn't really want/need.

Also, if you already have a Business degree, you're better off branching out to the IT side of things. If you had an IT degree, I'd probably say to do business next. That way you're covering both.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am really interested in WGU due to the cheap price and self paced courses. I think maybe dfrecore is right that it may be best to pursue an IT degree first.

@JSD, seeing as how you completed a BS in IT Security at WGU, can you advise as to the difficulty of the courses and how it should be for someone like me who has worked in IT for 8+ years? Do you think I'd be able to finish a similar program in one term considering that all my Gen Ed is (should be) completed?
Baker College BBA (Graduated May 2019)
SL Credits: 54
ALEKS Credits: 9
One term is pushing it, especially with the harder certification courses (those courses ate up most of my time). I averaged probably a week per course, but some courses i was able to knock out in a say (like spreadsheets and principles of management), where as I spent about a month on certs usually (and longer on CCNA Security, which I failed on my first attempt).

I think 2 terms is probably more likely, if you really push yourself and are able to commit a lot of time to it. I did it in 2 terms and I think 2 months into my third term.

Remember there are very few gen eds at WGU. My first BA knocked out I think 47 CUs, and that was including my A+ certification i already had and an extra course I did at Study.com after my first bachelors

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I would recommend taking time to think about what you wish to do. You will be spending time and money on this pursuit and therefore you want to make certain it is what you truly want. That said, an MBA is most helpful for someone who already has their foot in the door in an industry. If you want to be in IT, then get an entry level IT position, learn and prove your worth and then start on your MBA.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(05-11-2019, 04:03 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:  If you want to be in IT, then get an entry level IT position, learn and prove your worth and then start on your MBA.

He owns his own IT business.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(05-11-2019, 04:15 PM)jsd Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 04:03 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:  If you want to be in IT, then get an entry level IT position, learn and prove your worth and then start on your MBA.

He owns his own IT business.

I think it'd help if I did not reply while trying to referee my two year old twins. LOL
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(05-11-2019, 06:21 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: two year old twins.

I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. That's bad enough, I can't imagine two of them together at either of those ages.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,007 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 823 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,454 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,250 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 735 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,467 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,596 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,085 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Free Bachelors Degrees for Union Member letterchaser202 32 3,683 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wow
  Community College Bachelors Degrees Alpha 4 1,638 05-11-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: ashkir