Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd bachelor's degree while geting MA
(11-04-2018, 05:47 PM)vetvso Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 04:27 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The secret to getting the Anthropology degree is, to graduate at the same time as your BALS.  This way you can pay 1 graduation fee, along with 1 residency waiver and both degrees will only require the 1 LIB 495 Capstone.  You will need the "extra 24" credits in that AOS of Anthropology, 15 has to be UL, you can follow the link from the above to get the course details.  Note: Not all courses will be available for cheap, I don't recall there are cheap providers for most of those required courses in Anthropology.  Just like a BA in Criminal Justice, you'll have to find the LL at a CC and the UL from a 4-year college/university.

I have access to the UAF campus and can take some classes there for free. I am going to discuss my options with UAF in Jan as well.

Note that at TESU it would be the same Capstone to cover both degrees.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(11-04-2018, 10:59 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 11:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU doesn't have a degree in Anthropology, so it's not really an option.  I don't think anything related to Anthropology would be enough outside of the BALS to make it worth your while.  Dumb question: why would you want to get another BA in a field so closely related to what you already have?  I'm not even certain another school would award you that BS with the BALS you're already getting.  Many want you to get other degrees that aren't so similarly related.

Actually TESU DOES have a degree in anthropology.

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/anthropology

You're right, I missed that.

(11-04-2018, 08:23 AM)vetvso Wrote: Longer term it would help me with teaching opportunities. In two years I will have to take some Anthro classes anyway, and I try to think ahead. My current degree is just to satisfy my VA timing requirement and fulfills my entry into my next MA degree.

I'm sorry, I'm confused (mostly because we're saying "degree" with multiple degrees I think).  So you are getting a BALS now, because you need to for VA benefits, is what I got.  But I guess I can't figure out the rest.  1) Why wouldn't you just switch to Anthropology instead of the BALS (or is it that you have to complete the BALS within a certain timeline?)? 2) Are you talking about a dual major?  In which case you wouldn't finish your BALS anyway until the Anthro degree was completed, thus negating the need for the BALS.  3) Are you talking about a 2nd BA?  In which case you have to wait to take the 24cr of new Anthro courses until after your BALS degree is conferred, and you would then have to pay for a 2nd residency waiver from what I understand.

I guess I'm just still confused about what you are doing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • vetvso
(11-04-2018, 05:07 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 04:42 PM)jsd Wrote: You can’t get 2 Bachelors from TESU at the same time, BJ. You can double major/AOS at the same time, or you can get a second bachelors after your first one is conferred. What youre describing is more like a double major

Yes you CAN get a second degree at the same time. I'm doing that right now.

This must be a recent change, as TESU still hasn't updated their website yet:

"These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred."
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • vetvso
(11-04-2018, 06:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 11:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU doesn't have a degree in Anthropology, so it's not really an option.  I don't think anything related to Anthropology would be enough outside of the BALS to make it worth your while.  Dumb question: why would you want to get another BA in a field so closely related to what you already have?  I'm not even certain another school would award you that BS with the BALS you're already getting.  Many want you to get other degrees that aren't so similarly related.

(11-04-2018, 08:23 AM)vetvso Wrote: Longer term it would help me with teaching opportunities. In two years I will have to take some Anthro classes anyway, and I try to think ahead. My current degree is just to satisfy my VA timing requirement and fulfills my entry into my next MA degree.

I'm sorry, I'm confused (mostly because we're saying "degree" with multiple degrees I think).  So you are getting a BALS now, because you need to for VA benefits, is what I got.  But I guess I can't figure out the rest.  1) Why wouldn't you just switch to Anthropology instead of the BALS (or is it that you have to complete the BALS within a certain timeline?)? 2) Are you talking about a dual major?  In which case you wouldn't finish your BALS anyway until the Anthro degree was completed, thus negating the need for the BALS.  3) Are you talking about a 2nd BA?  In which case you have to wait to take the 24cr of new Anthro courses until after your BALS degree is conferred, and you would then have to pay for a 2nd residency waiver from what I understand.

1) Why wouldn't you just switch to Anthropology instead of the BALS (or is it that you have to complete the BALS within a certain timeline?)? Because I have to follow the plan my VA disability counselor lays out for me. I can influence the plan but they control what I can do at the end of the day. They feel there is no money to be made in Anthropology, and they want me employed once I finish my MA. So my Ph.D. will have to be funded in other ways.

2) Are you talking about a dual major?  In which case you wouldn't finish your BALS anyway until the Anthro degree was completed, thus negating the need for the BALS.  - No, once I finish the first BA I would like to begin the next one if I can get it approved.

3) Are you talking about a 2nd BA?  In which case you have to wait to take the 24cr of new Anthro courses until after your BALS degree is conferred, and you would then have to pay for a 2nd residency waiver from what I understand. - Or have 16 credits but I don't know if that applies 100% to the 2nd degree. I will need to call them.

I am a special case since I have more resources then most. I am also taking SL courses now that I won't transfer in. Also, any Anthro classes cannot be transferred until I have a degree. I'm going to call my TESU advisor tomorrow and run this by him as well. I am in two TESU classes now and will take my last undergrad load in Jan at UAF. I will pick up 2-3 Anthro classes at that time if I can.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(11-04-2018, 06:36 PM)jsd Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 05:07 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 04:42 PM)jsd Wrote: You can’t get 2 Bachelors from TESU at the same time, BJ. You can double major/AOS at the same time, or you can get a second bachelors after your first one is conferred. What youre describing is more like a double major

Yes you CAN get a second degree at the same time. I'm doing that right now.

This must be a recent change, as TESU still hasn't updated their website yet:

"These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred."
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

This only applies to subsequent degrees, not simultaneous degrees.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Yes, and I see they've added a new portion about simultaneous degrees --

"Students who desire to have two Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study."

This is a great change and I wish it was available when i was completing my BA. I probably would have gone with a Psych and Soc degree together.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(11-04-2018, 09:45 PM)jsd Wrote: Yes, and I see they've added a new portion about simultaneous degrees --

"Students who desire to have two Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study."

This is a great change and I wish it was available when i was completing my BA. I probably would have gone with a Psych and Soc degree together.

It looks like the option to earn two simultaneous bachelor's degrees was added in the 2016-2017 catalog. Prior to that, the catalog only has language regarding earning a second bachelor's degree if you already have a first one. Same requirements as shown today. So you must have been looking at the 2015-2016 catalog or earlier. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-04-2018, 10:08 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 09:45 PM)jsd Wrote: Yes, and I see they've added a new portion about simultaneous degrees --

It looks like the option to earn two simultaneous bachelor's degrees was added in the 2016-2017 catalog. Prior to that, the catalog only has language regarding earning a second bachelor's degree if you already have a first one. Same requirements as shown today. So you must have been looking at the 2015-2016 catalog or earlier. Smile

Makes sense, 2015-16 was my catalog year.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(11-04-2018, 07:43 PM)vetvso Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 06:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

1) Why wouldn't you just switch to Anthropology instead of the BALS (or is it that you have to complete the BALS within a certain timeline?)? Because I have to follow the plan my VA disability counselor lays out for me. I can influence the plan but they control what I can do at the end of the day. They feel there is no money to be made in Anthropology, and they want me employed once I finish my MA. So my Ph.D. will have to be funded in other ways.

2) Are you talking about a dual major?  In which case you wouldn't finish your BALS anyway until the Anthro degree was completed, thus negating the need for the BALS.  - No, once I finish the first BA I would like to begin the next one if I can get it approved.

3) Are you talking about a 2nd BA?  In which case you have to wait to take the 24cr of new Anthro courses until after your BALS degree is conferred, and you would then have to pay for a 2nd residency waiver from what I understand. - Or have 16 credits but I don't know if that applies 100% to the 2nd degree. I will need to call them.

I am a special case since I have more resources then most. I am also taking SL courses now that I won't transfer in. Also, any Anthro classes cannot be transferred until I have a degree. I'm going to call my TESU advisor tomorrow and run this by him as well. I am in two TESU classes now and will take my last undergrad load in Jan at UAF. I will pick up 2-3 Anthro classes at that time if I can.

They think a BALS is more marketable than a BA in Anthropology?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-05-2018, 12:24 PM)sanantone Wrote: They think a BALS is more marketable than a BA in Anthropology?

Are you insinuating that a government agency ought to use rational thought processes?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 237 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,755 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Bachelor to Masters Data Analytics homeschoolmom1 2 316 01-22-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 496 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,263 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,533 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM