Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd degree - Date of credits earned/transferred SDC to TESU?
Hello all,

Long-time lurker here. Thanks for all the advice you've secretly given me! I'm wrapping up my BSBA at TESU - just my capstone left. Throughout my degree I have been taking Psychology courses to fill elective requirements because that's where my academic passions lie. While looking into graduate programs for Psych I realized I only need 25 credits after graduating from TESU in September in order to get a 2nd degree, BA in Psychology - which I'd prefer for now because most Masters programs in the field are very specific and I don't have any idea what I'd want to do in the field yet. Most of the remaining classes I can do through Study.com. 

I know that TESU requires you earn 24 credits AFTER the first degree (which I'll get in September) in order to get a 2nd one - but since I have the time and a current SDC subscription, I'd like to start working on it now. Can I take the Study.com courses I need NOW, exam and all, and just wait to transfer these credits until after I graduate & reapply? Or will TESU see that the course completion date is prior to my first graduation and deny me the credits? In other words, does the 24 credits post-graduation rule refer to the time the course was taken or the time the credits were transferred?
Date they were taken. You can't work ahead, you have to wait until the degree confers.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Why don't you just do a dual degree, and get the BA in Psych at the same time as your BSBA? It would mean an additional capstone course, but it would also mean that you wouldn't have to pay a 2nd residency waiver, so it's actually cheaper than a 2nd degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
I second dfrecore's suggestion to do them at the same time. You'd have to pay for the second Capstone anyway, so that's not a downside
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(06-01-2019, 09:56 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: I second dfrecore's suggestion to do them at the same time. You'd have to pay for the second Capstone anyway, so that's not a downside

I guess I didn't think that one through!  Yes, waiting is actually going to cost an extra $75 for applying, $2200 for another residency waiver, and $332 for the graduation fee (so total of $2607).  Doing it now won't cost anything extra.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-01-2019, 10:01 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 09:56 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: I second dfrecore's suggestion to do them at the same time. You'd have to pay for the second Capstone anyway, so that's not a downside

I guess I didn't think that one through!  Yes, waiting is actually going to cost an extra $75 for applying, $2200 for another residency waiver, and $332 for the graduation fee (so total of $2607).  Doing it now won't cost anything extra.

You still have to pay the graduation fee twice.

Here's what I would do: first go and add the BA psychology to your evaluation now (before July when they change catalogs. Then take the BSBA capstone as soon as you can, but don't apply for graduation. taking the BSBA capstone will extend your enrollment one year so you will one year to get the Psychology BA. Note that even if your BSBA is on the catalog that require TES-100 you will have to do SOS-110 for the BA which is another 1000+ and 12 weeks. If this was the case consider taking SOS-110 along side the liberal arts capstone so you'd be eligible for financial aid. When you are finished with both degrees, apply for graduation for both. Also you need to make sure have at least 24 credits different between the two degrees and no more than 9 credits overlapping in the AOS.
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!! My current plan is to do the coursework with Study.com now but not take the exams, then let my account run out (I had prepurchased a year last July). I'll re-enroll in September/October and take the two exams a month concurrently with doing the cornerstone/capstone/one or two extra TESU courses for electives that look interesting.

I appreciate the suggestions about doing two degrees at once - however I had actually asked TESU about doing this back in 2015/2016ish and they told me I wasn't allowed to cross a BS and a BA. I certainly have enough info from this forum to argue that now, but honestly, I dislike arguing with advising so much I'd rather just spend the time and pay the difference. Also, I'm only working a part-time job now and waiting on my Bachelor's to really search for/start a fulltime career - which I need to do ASAP so I'd rather not push my initial graduation off any longer.

EDIT: I forgot to mention - I did the vast majority of my degree conventionally through TESU - I only tested out of a handful of classes, almost all of which were business courses. I don't have to pay the residency waiver for my BSBA, and I assume because I'm using those same Gen Eds for the BA, it still shouldn't apply.
(06-01-2019, 10:53 AM)riadash Wrote: I appreciate the suggestions about doing two degrees at once - however I had actually asked TESU about doing this back in 2015/2016ish and they told me I wasn't allowed to cross a BS and a BA. 

They changed the policy, that used to be the case but no longer is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • natshar
(06-01-2019, 05:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 10:53 AM)riadash Wrote: I appreciate the suggestions about doing two degrees at once - however I had actually asked TESU about doing this back in 2015/2016ish and they told me I wasn't allowed to cross a BS and a BA. 

They changed the policy, that used to be the case but no longer is.

Yes it matters or helps you I currently have both a Psych BA and BSBA on my evaluation right now. Not sure if I'm going to earn both but they are both on my evaluation and I can earn them both if I wish.

All you have to do is email Academic advising and tell them you wish to add a Psychology BA to your official evaluation. Do that before July to get on the current catalog. From there it's up to you, you can do them both at once or if you wish finish one and go back to the other; but you'll have opportunity to do either if you choose.
(06-01-2019, 06:18 PM)natshar Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 05:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They changed the policy, that used to be the case but no longer is.

All you have to do is email Academic advising and tell them you wish to add a Psychology BA to your official evaluation. Do that before July to get on the current catalog. From there it's up to you, you can do them both at once or if you wish finish one and go back to the other; but you'll have opportunity to do either if you choose.

This is so helpful - thank you! So just to clarify, I can ask them to add the BA in Psych to my academic evaluation, then finish my Business Capstone and still graduate with my BSBA on time in September? And the BA will just hang around on my evaluation until I go ahead and complete that? (Also I suppose I'll still need to wait to finish my remaining Psych credits anyway because the second degree 24-credits rule will still apply? So the benefit it that I can see the BA on my evaluation and that I will not need to reapply to TESU?)

Should I be concerned that if they edit my evaluation to include a second area of study, I may suddenly show as requiring the cornerstone for my BSBA, or are the evaluations treated as separate documents? I enrolled in TESU before cornerstones were required so I was waived out of it but I don't want a requirement for it for the BA to set me back for the BSBA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 159 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 257 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 235 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 266 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538