Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd degree after residency
Hi all, have something I'm trying to help someone with.

If a student goes to TESU and gets residency by taking 16cr there, if they end up going back for a 2nd degree, does that mean they don't need to do another 16cr of residency?  A friend wants to get a BS in Data Analytics, and then a BA in Computer Science.  I want to make sure they can do that without spending a boatload more.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow, that's an awesome plan! I don't know how many credits they have or if they're starting from scratch or not, but technically they can get BOTH degrees completed with the work of one. As the BS Data Analytics has 27 free electives and 17-20 general education electives, that can be all the Comp Science courses they need. So, they can just graduate with one degree and voila! But to answer your question, yes - once you have completed 16 credits, you're good to go for the second and final bachelors.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-05-2021, 02:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wow, that's an awesome plan!  I don't know how many credits they have or if they're starting from scratch or not, but technically they can get BOTH degrees completed with the work of one.  As the BS Data Analytics has 27 free electives and 17-20 general education electives, that can be all the Comp Science courses they need.  So, they can just graduate with one degree and voila!  But to answer your question, yes - once you have completed 16 credits, you're good to go for the second and final bachelors.

They contacted TESU and they told her that they can't get both degrees at once, because it's a BA and a BS.  That was the original plan.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Something just isn't right with TESU, I just got confused for a moment. Has TESU made another recent change to graduating two degrees at the same time? Last year, amaquiling completed both degrees together. If you check her signature, she has a double CS/Math major to boot, it shows this: BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020).

She was even on a blog post for TESU! https://blog.tesu.edu/how-i-leveraged-my...ersecurity
And since we're on the topic of Blog posts, I forgot to mention that ArmstrongSubero has a post here: https://blog.tesu.edu/how-to-bridge-the-...evelopment
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Johndmabryjr
(06-05-2021, 04:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 02:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wow, that's an awesome plan!  I don't know how many credits they have or if they're starting from scratch or not, but technically they can get BOTH degrees completed with the work of one.  As the BS Data Analytics has 27 free electives and 17-20 general education electives, that can be all the Comp Science courses they need.  So, they can just graduate with one degree and voila!  But to answer your question, yes - once you have completed 16 credits, you're good to go for the second and final bachelors.

They contacted TESU and they told her that they can't get both degrees at once, because it's a BA and a BS.  That was the original plan.

So they have to pay the graduation fee twice? That stinks! Have they looked at WGU? I mean they can't complete both degrees at the same time at WGU, but it would probably cost less especially since TESU has an odd way of offering the data classes.

Unless that is a new policy that doesn't seem right. People on this forum have done both at once.
(06-05-2021, 08:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

So they have to pay the graduation fee twice? That stinks! Have they looked at WGU? I mean they can't complete both degrees at the same time at WGU, but it would probably cost less especially since TESU has an odd way of offering the data classes.

They're almost done with the Statistics.com courses for the Data Science degree; the issue is the double-degree.

(06-05-2021, 08:42 PM)natshar Wrote:

Unless that is a new policy that doesn't seem right. People on this forum have done both at once.

I think I'll give them a call on Monday, I wasn't sure either.  They can easily finish the Data Science degree and get the BACS afterwards, but they'd like to get it all done in one shot.
Did they ask if they can do both at once or did they ask to have the second degree added to their plan?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-06-2021, 05:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Did they ask if they can do both at once or did they ask to have the second degree added to their plan?

I think this is the trick. Add the second degree, complete all the requirements then pay the graduation fee once. In the grand scheme of things the graduation fee is the smallest fee you will pay so even if you have to pay it twice that shouldn’t be a dealbreaker for what should be a very marketable combination.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 238 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,757 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 499 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,384 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,265 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,534 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM