Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd degree in CS
Photo 
I completed everything for my Excelsior BS psychology degree in December, which will be conferred on Feb 17th. All went well after I started last April with 70cr and followed the plan. For my electives, I took some computer courses... I just realized that I am very close to completing my computer science degree at TESU...
So if I'm right, I only need 45cr for my 2nd degree in BACS from TESU, 24 credits need to be new credits after the Excelsior degree conferred date, and 18UL credits.
After looking at the evaluation, I see that I have already completed exactly 21cr from the CS AOS... So I only need 24 credits to finish the degree...
Here are the 7 courses I completed:
1)Intro to programming
2)Calculus 1
3)Operating system
4)Java
4)Python
6)Discrete Math
7)Statics (UL) (My statics is an Upper-level course and fits under AOS C)

So I only need 8 more courses, 5 of which are UL, to complete my degree...
1) Data Structures
2) some random LL computer course
3) some random LL math or computer course
4)Computer Architecture(UL)
5)database (UL)
6)software engineering(UL)
7) SYSTEM (UL)
8)Capstone (UL)

I know I should listen to you guys here to double major in Tesu, but I wanted to finish off a degree fast, unaware that both degrees could be completed efficiently... There is no doubt that I wasted my time and money and should have just done TESU, but this is what it is.
I think I will take software engineering and Capsone in March after the degree conferral and complete the other 6 courses from study.com within 3 months, so I could get my 2nd degree from TESU in September.
Please let me know if this plan sounds good to you.
[img]<a href=[/img][Image: Screenshot-2023-01-29-at-5-10-19-PM.png]" />
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

[-] The following 1 user Likes frankc's post:
  • allvia
(01-29-2023, 06:31 PM)frankc Wrote: I completed everything for my Excelsior BS psychology degree in December, which will be conferred on Feb 17th. All went well after I started last April with 70cr and followed the plan. For my electives, I took some computer courses... I just realized that I am very close to completing my computer science degree at TESU...
So if I'm right, I only need 45cr for my 2nd degree in BACS from TESU, 24 credits need to be new credits after the Excelsior degree conferred date, and 18UL credits.
After looking at the evaluation, I see that I have already completed exactly 21cr from the CS AOS... So I only need 24 credits to finish the degree...
1)Intro to programming
2)Calculus 1
3)Operating system
4)Java
4)Python
6)Discrete Math

1) Data Structures
5)database (UL)
7) SYSTEM (UL)
8)Capstone (UL)

I know I should listen to you guys here to double major in Tesu, but I wanted to finish off a degree fast, unaware that both degrees could be completed efficiently... There is no doubt that I wasted my time and money and should have just done TESU, but this is what it is.
I think I will take software engineering and Capsone in March after the degree conferral and complete the other 6 courses from study.com within 3 months, so I could get my 2nd degree from TESU in September.
You can take MIS from SDC instead of software engineering from TESU.  Saves a few bucks, not a hard course.  You can also take the Saylor test for software engineering, and save even more money (recommend taking the test right after doing Systems analysis, and reviewing some UML stuff, and digging into testing a bit in the Saylor course).  Just options.  Also have you actually received a TESU eval? I imagine you have a science course that will fit your addtl AOS elective, so might be one less course (although you need 24 hr new, so you might need something anyway).
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • frankc
(01-29-2023, 11:27 PM)spohara Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 06:31 PM)frankc Wrote: I completed everything for my Excelsior BS psychology degree in December, which will be conferred on Feb 17th. All went well after I started last April with 70cr and followed the plan. For my electives, I took some computer courses... I just realized that I am very close to completing my computer science degree at TESU...
1)Intro to programming
2)Calculus 1
3)Operating system
4)Java
4)Python
6)Discrete Math

1) Data Structures
5)database (UL)
7) SYSTEM (UL)
8)Capstone (UL)

You can take MIS from SDC instead of software engineering from TESU.  Saves a few bucks, not a hard course.  You can also take the Saylor test for software engineering, and save even more money (recommend taking the test right after doing Systems analysis, and reviewing some UML stuff, and digging into testing a bit in the Saylor course).  Just options.  Also have you actually received a TESU eval? I imagine you have a science course that will fit your addtl AOS elective, so might be one less course (although you need 24 hr new, so you might need something anyway).
Thank you for the information about MIS. I'll probably take it instead of software engineering. Yes, there is a science course in addtl AOS elective, but it will go over the 21cr limit for old credits.  It should be easy to take a new math or science course.
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed

You can also investigate the Saylor.org Software Engineering course as that shows as UL on their website, you may want to verify it comes in as UL in ACE and TESU when transferring. Another option is, if you're going the TESU route, decide if you are going to take the 16 credit residency or if you really need this second degree by mid year, if it can wait, you can get the double degree combo instead since it's your first choice. Yes, decisions, decisions...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • frankc
If you don't want to leave money on the table, you can look into getting an Associate's in Math for free at TESU.

Looks like you would need a few LL math courses, which can be done at Sophia.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • frankc
(01-30-2023, 02:02 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You can also investigate the Saylor.org Software Engineering course as that shows as UL on their website, you may want to verify it comes in as UL in ACE and TESU when transferring.  Another option is, if you're going the TESU route, decide if you are going to take the 16 credit residency or if you really need this second degree by mid year, if it can wait, you can get the double degree combo instead since it's your first choice. Yes, decisions, decisions...

Thank you! Saylor.org is new to me, I will check it out.

(01-30-2023, 07:36 AM)LevelUP Wrote: If you don't want to leave money on the table, you can look into getting an Associate's in Math for free at TESU.

Looks like you would need a few LL math courses, which can be done at Sophia.

Thanks for letting me know about the Associate's degree in Math, sounds interesting. Is there a way to find out how many new credits I need for the degree? I see that I need to take calculus and 5 different math courses, which I have already taken, so do I have to take any additional math courses to get the degree?
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed

(01-30-2023, 12:26 PM)frankc Wrote: Thanks for letting me know about the Associate's degree in Math, sounds interesting. Is there a way to find out how many new credits I need for the degree? I see that I need to take calculus and 5 different math courses, which I have already taken, so do I have to take any additional math courses to get the degree?

There is one math course required in the general ed as well.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • frankc
As I mentioned in an earlier post, you can do a combo degree (if it doesn't take more energy/money/time obviously).  You should also review the dual degree option for BSBA CIS/BACS as it will be very similar in price.  You can also add the Associates in Arts or Computer Science in addition to your Associates in Math, it's free anyways.  You can review the links below.

Free Certs: TESU Certificate Plans
Free Associates: TESU Add-on Associates Degree Plans
LevelUP's BSBA CIS & BACS: TESU BA Computer Science BSBA CIS Double Degree
Rachel83Az's Version: TESU BACS and BSBA CIS Double Degree Plan (rachel83az version)

[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • frankc, MNomadic
(02-01-2023, 10:25 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: As I mentioned in an earlier post, you can do a combo degree (if it doesn't take more energy/money/time obviously).  You should also review the dual degree option for BSBA CIS/BACS as it will be very similar in price.  You can also add the Associates in Arts or Computer Science in addition to your Associates in Math, it's free anyways.  You can review the links below.

Free Certs: TESU Certificate Plans
Free Associates: TESU Add-on Associates Degree Plans
LevelUP's BSBA CIS & BACS: TESU BA Computer Science BSBA CIS Double Degree
Rachel83Az's Version: TESU BACS and BSBA CIS Double Degree Plan (rachel83az version)

Thank you for the information, it was very helpful. I was wondering if you could tell me about the enrollment for the capstone. I understand that one needs to have 100 credits to register, but what about enrolling for the second degree?
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed

frankc Wrote:Thank you for the information, it was very helpful. I was wondering if you could tell me about the enrollment for the capstone. I understand that one needs to have 100 credits to register, but what about enrolling for the second degree?

Capstone enrollment is the same, regardless... if it's your first or second degree. I would recommend registering for the capstone when you've completed the remaining Study.com courses. Basically, complete the entire AOS for computer science and register for that single course. You can register for the capstone every month, so you need to pace yourself on the Study.com courses or whatever else you're missing for the AOS, then complete that capstone when your plate is empty.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • frankc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 239 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,758 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 499 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,265 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,534 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM
  Almost finished with dual CIS/CS degree - HELP! ACI 22 2,018 01-04-2024, 03:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az