Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To forum moderators or/and owner
For many of us who want to attend medical school, the "big four" Caribbean schools are a reasonable alternative for non-traditional students. I think it would be a good idea to create a section in the graduate area, dedicated to the "big four." I've actually contacted two of these schools to find that they do not frown upon ACE or CLEP credits and they look at the overall picture, not just a few credits.

The "Big Four" all have programs divided into a basic science portion and a clinical portion.
  • At St. George University, students spend two years on campus studying basic sciences, followed by two years of clinical training in the US or UK at one of the 72 affiliated hospitals and clinical centers. SGU students may also complete their first year of basic sciences at Northumbria University in the UK. There is an option for students to enter SGU during one of the three medical years, with possible promotion into the first year of medical school following satisfactory completion of the required courses.
  • At Ross University, students study the “Foundations of Medicine” curriculum for the first four (or five) semesters. After that, students spend a semester in Miramar, Florida, or Saginaw, Michigan for an introduction to clinical medicine. Finally, they complete 78 weeks of clerkships at hospitals in the US and Canada (48 weeks of core clerkships and 30 weeks of electives).
  • At the American University of the Caribbean, the first five semesters are dedicated to the medical sciences. This is followed by 72 weeks of clinical education. These weeks are divided into 42 weeks of core clerkships, done at the affiliated teaching hospitals in the US and UK, and 30 weeks of electives.
  • At Saba University, students spend the first five semesters on the basic science curriculum and the next five semesters doing clinical rotations in the US and Canada. Because Saba University has a year-round class schedule, there is an option to follow an “Advanced Schedule” and complete the basic science curriculum in only one-and-a-half years. 

What do you all think?
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(06-05-2020, 04:28 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: For many of us who want to attend medical school, the "big four" Caribbean schools are a reasonable alternative for non-traditional students. I think it would be a good idea to create a section in the graduate area, dedicated to the "big four." I've actually contacted two of these schools to find that they do not frown upon ACE or CLEP credits and they look at the overall picture, not just a few credits.

The "Big Four" all have programs divided into a basic science portion and a clinical portion.
  • At St. George University, students spend two years on campus studying basic sciences, followed by two years of clinical training in the US or UK at one of the 72 affiliated hospitals and clinical centers. SGU students may also complete their first year of basic sciences at Northumbria University in the UK. There is an option for students to enter SGU during one of the three medical years, with possible promotion into the first year of medical school following satisfactory completion of the required courses.
  • At Ross University, students study the “Foundations of Medicine” curriculum for the first four (or five) semesters. After that, students spend a semester in Miramar, Florida, or Saginaw, Michigan for an introduction to clinical medicine. Finally, they complete 78 weeks of clerkships at hospitals in the US and Canada (48 weeks of core clerkships and 30 weeks of electives).
  • At the American University of the Caribbean, the first five semesters are dedicated to the medical sciences. This is followed by 72 weeks of clinical education. These weeks are divided into 42 weeks of core clerkships, done at the affiliated teaching hospitals in the US and UK, and 30 weeks of electives.
  • At Saba University, students spend the first five semesters on the basic science curriculum and the next five semesters doing clinical rotations in the US and Canada. Because Saba University has a year-round class schedule, there is an option to follow an “Advanced Schedule” and complete the basic science curriculum in only one-and-a-half years. 

What do you all think?

If you mean creating a sub-forum under the graduate forum to focus on these schools, I'm not opposed to the idea. However, I think we'd need to see a lot more conversations in here first... we've really only had one recent thread talking about them (not including this one). Then, once the traffic merits it, we could create a new sub-forum and move all those messages to it.

A good place to start would be to have current students at these schools post about their courses, teaches, and experiences to engage others in conversations about them. At the least, we'll need to have some people on here with experience at these schools to answer questions and such. Otherwise, it will just be people speculating about things and won't really merit the creation of a sub-forum for them.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(06-05-2020, 05:37 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 04:28 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: For many of us who want to attend medical school, the "big four" Caribbean schools are a reasonable alternative for non-traditional students. I think it would be a good idea to create a section in the graduate area, dedicated to the "big four." I've actually contacted two of these schools to find that they do not frown upon ACE or CLEP credits and they look at the overall picture, not just a few credits.

What do you all think?

If you mean creating a sub-forum under the graduate forum to focus on these schools, I'm not opposed to the idea. However, I think we'd need to see a lot more conversations in here first... we've really only had one recent thread talking about them (not including this one). Then, once the traffic merits it, we could create a new sub-forum and move all those messages to it.

A good place to start would be to have current students at these schools post about their courses, teaches, and experiences to engage others in conversations about them. At the least, we'll need to have some people on here with experience at these schools to answer questions and such. Otherwise, it will just be people speculating about things and won't really merit the creation of a sub-forum for them.
sounds fair
Aren't these all in person brick and mortar schools? While interesting and worth the occasional discussion here, I'm not sure it really matches the scope of this forum overall.

And really, it's pretty niche (and this forum is already a niche!)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(06-05-2020, 08:57 PM)jsd Wrote: Aren't these all in person brick and mortar schools? While interesting and worth the occasional discussion here, I'm not sure it really matches the scope of this forum overall.

And really, it's pretty niche (and this forum is already a niche!)

I know nothing about these schools, but assumed they had online programs in addition to traditional B&M programs.

If they are B&M only then I agree with JSD, it is doubtful that there will be enough interest to support a subforum for them. Most people here are looking for online, competency-based degrees. That isn't always the case, particularly at the graduate level, but B&M-only schools are definitely much less popular and are unlikely to gain traction here.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
i could be very wrong and would love to be corrected if so, but my understanding was the academic education was fully B&M before a traditional residency in-hospital portion. 

if that's NOT the case and you can do these programs remote while still living state side.... anyone know if any of them have a psychiatrist/psychology program?  Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(06-05-2020, 10:51 PM)jsd Wrote: i could be very wrong and would love to be corrected if so, but my understanding was the academic education was fully B&M before a traditional residency in-hospital portion. 

if that's NOT the case and you can do these programs remote while still living state side.... anyone know if any of them have a psychiatrist/psychology program?  Big Grin

I think they are B&M, and you study on-campus the first 2 years.  I have a friend going to St. George's next term (in the fall?) and he was talking to me about moving there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
QUESTION - As I do not know but would medical degrees from these institutions be recognized by the AMA to practice medicine in the US?
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
(06-06-2020, 10:55 AM)ShotoJuku Wrote: QUESTION - As I do not know but would medical degrees from these institutions be recognized by the AMA to practice medicine in the US?

Yes, one can attend them, do a residency in the U.S., and practice medicine in the U.S. (There are more steps, of course, but it boils down to "yes".)
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone know if Korea accepts degrees mentioned on this forum. Personherebb9 19 1,741 11-17-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  NWCU School of Law now Accredited by the State Bar of California (sister forum post) Dee12 6 2,129 02-17-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Does anyone on the forum have any experience with SNHU? leland.kirk 10 4,748 03-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Muldoon