Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 credits for knowing a Foreign Language ($275)
Hi folks,

So after gaining so much from this forum, it's time to give back! Thanks to Videogamesrock who hit me to LTI and the OPI/WPT...thanks again buddy!cheersmate

I just tested out of German and got a total of 27 ACE credits by taking the LTI Oral Proficiency Interview (computer based) and the Writing Proficiency Test (both of which can be done via online proctoring), as well as the German CLEP. These do NOT duplicate at TESU, which is great!Big Grin

They are offered by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages and the great thing is they double as a teaching license in a number of states, I've attached the list of eligible states. Please note that licensure is dependent on level attained.

OPIc (including online proctoring) for a maximum of 12 credits =$105
WPT (including online proctoring) for a maximum of 6 credits = $105
German CLEP, for a maximum of 9 credits (including proctoring) = $105

That makes for a maximum total of 27 credits @ ~$11.50 per credit! :willynilly: Be sure to have ACE 'pull' the score to your transcript, LTI will charge $70 to send it but ACE gets and adds it for free.

Hope this helps anyone who speaks a foreign language really well and needs almost a year's worth of credit in a day for $315 :coolgleam:
(neither 30 credits nor $275 as stated in the post's title, kindly excuse the error, waaay too early in the morning when I first posted).

Stay focused and keep on truckin'!

Attached Files
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">State Approved ACTFL Tests for Teacher Credentialing - 2015.pdf (Size: 110.21 KB / Downloads: 47)
[-] The following 3 users Like Nightmoves5's post:
  • ClepChic, ISKBizz15, Life Long Learning
Congratulations!!

THIS little gem is worth knowing about, thank you. "Be sure to have ACE 'pull' the score to your transcript, LTI will charge $70 to send it but ACE gets and adds it for free."

I have no foreign language ability, but I do keep track of this kind of thing for homeschoolers. I wanted to ask you about the costs. In my notes I had the written as $70 and the oral as $139. Can you break it down for me what the test costs were plus what you paid for proctoring and who you paid? Also, since they didn't duplicate, is that to mean that written and oral are automatically coming in higher than the CLEP credit or am I misunderstanding that? Also, if I could be a pain and ask one more thing, what does it look like on your transcript??
cookderosa Wrote:Congratulations!!

THIS little gem is worth knowing about, thank you. "Be sure to have ACE 'pull' the score to your transcript, LTI will charge $70 to send it but ACE gets and adds it for free."

I have no foreign language ability, but I do keep track of this kind of thing for homeschoolers. I wanted to ask you about the costs. In my notes I had the written as $70 and the oral as $139. Can you break it down for me what the test costs were plus what you paid for proctoring and who you paid? Also, since they didn't duplicate, is that to mean that written and oral are automatically coming in higher than the CLEP credit or am I misunderstanding that? Also, if I could be a pain and ask one more thing, what does it look like on your transcript??

Hi Cookderosa,

Thanks for the praise, but honor to whom honor is due...it was actually Videogamesrock who hinted at having ACE request the results, thus saving $70.

The Oral Proficiency Interview is either by phone (OPI=$139) or by computer (OPIc=$70), the latter being billed at $105 by LTI if one chooses the optional online proctor option, which automatically includes proctoring by ProctorU. LTI pays the $35 proctoring fees directly to ProctorU, very smooth and hassle-free for the testing candidate. The OPIc can also be taken at designated testing centers like Sylvan, and their proctoring fees would then apply. There is a list of testing centers for the OPIc on LTI's website, but they are few and far between.

I don't have them on my TESU transcript yet, but wrote TESU before taking them to make sure and was informed they have different course codes for CLEP and OPI/WPT, hence they wouldn't duplicate:

German OPI/WPT: (GRM-327, GRM-328, GRM-401, GRM-499)
German CLEP: (GRM-101, GRM-102, GRM-201, GRM-202)

One last thing, LTI also offers the Reading Proficiency Test for $30 with an online proctor option, but I didn't take that so don't know if it would duplicate as the language CLEP is a reading/listening test and the OPI/WPT speaking and writing tests respectively.

Glad I could be of help
Awesome! When you get your evaluation from TESU, can you please come back and post what this all came in as, so we can see? That would be fantastic to have on my spreadsheet!

Also, did you score the highest possible (High Superior or whatever it is) to get these credits?

Did TESU say which courses get which credits? For instance, GRM-327 - is that the OPIc part or the WPT part? And is that 3cr?

To try to clarify, the CLEP is 9cr, and is 3cr each for GRM-101, GRM-102 and GRM-201. Very clear to see how the credit is distributed there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Awesome! When you get your evaluation from TESU, can you please come back and post what this all came in as, so we can see? That would be fantastic to have on my spreadsheet!

Also, did you score the highest possible (High Superior or whatever it is) to get these credits?

Did TESU say which courses get which credits? For instance, GRM-327 - is that the OPIc part or the WPT part? And is that 3cr?

To try to clarify, the CLEP is 9cr, and is 3cr each for GRM-101, GRM-102 and GRM-201. Very clear to see how the credit is distributed there.

Sure thing, I'll keep the forum informed...though it'll still take about 6 months before I send my ACE transcript to TESU.

I scored the highest possible level on both tests...superior!

The GRM-300 level designated courses listed were only for the OPIc, not sure about the individual credit allocation.
Nightmoves5 Wrote:I don't have them on my TESU transcript yet, but wrote TESU before taking them to make sure and was informed they have different course codes for CLEP and OPI/WPT, hence they wouldn't duplicate:

Question about the CLEP, did you take it recently? If so, do you still have the email that said you would get 12 credits for the CLEP, including GRM-202?

This is why I ask http://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/CL...rogram.cfm
While we are asking you to check on things, would you mind seeing if the NYU language exams duplicate the ACTFL exams? If not, how would the NYU exams be transcripted?
And 24 hours of German, congrats!
Testing
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Nightmoves5 Wrote:Hi Cookderosa,

Thanks for the praise, but honor to whom honor is due...it was actually Videogamesrock who hinted at having ACE request the results, thus saving $70.

The Oral Proficiency Interview is either by phone (OPI=$139) or by computer (OPIc=$70), the latter being billed at $105 by LTI if one chooses the optional online proctor option, which automatically includes proctoring by ProctorU. LTI pays the $35 proctoring fees directly to ProctorU, very smooth and hassle-free for the testing candidate. The OPIc can also be taken at designated testing centers like Sylvan, and their proctoring fees would then apply. There is a list of testing centers for the OPIc on LTI's website, but they are few and far between.

I don't have them on my TESU transcript yet, but wrote TESU before taking them to make sure and was informed they have different course codes for CLEP and OPI/WPT, hence they wouldn't duplicate:

One last thing, LTI also offers the Reading Proficiency Test for $30 with an online proctor option, but I didn't take that so don't know if it would duplicate as the language CLEP is a reading/listening test and the OPI/WPT speaking and writing tests respectively.

Glad I could be of help

WOW all upper levels....so sweet. Thanks a bunch!
Question on the usability for the upper level credits (GRM-327, GRM-328, GRM-401, GRM-499). After the 9 Science credits (CLEP covers these) & Electives; outside of a Language Degree where do these fit best? Would love for my daughter to finish these out but not sure of the value for the BSBA. Seems like an incredible opportunity for a Language degree. Could see our younger daughter having fun with a dual degree in Biology & German.

Look forward to reading some great options because both girls will knock these tests out this week if that's the case.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
RANSOMSOUL Wrote:Question on the usability for the upper level credits (GRM-327, GRM-328, GRM-401, GRM-499). After the 9 Science credits (CLEP covers these) & Electives; outside of a Language Degree where do these fit best? Would love for my daughter to finish these out but not sure of the value for the BSBA. Seems like an incredible opportunity for a Language degree. Could see our younger daughter having fun with a dual degree in Biology & German.

Look forward to reading some great options because both girls will knock these tests out this week if that's the case.

For a BSBA, they will fit in Knowledge of Human Cultures, Gen Ed electives, and Free electives.

For other degrees, they will fit in these, plus possibly in the AOS - plus there's more space in Free Electives to fit them in (usually 27cr).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 585 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Blacklisted foreign universities in Nigeria Imbanewbie 1 325 01-13-2024, 03:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 473 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 411 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Best Foreign Credentials Evaluator Service mariobros1985 10 1,014 11-07-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Chankosumo
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,788 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,509 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy