Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30-something, no post-HS education...
BradF1979 Wrote:Thanks for all the replies... In High School I remember not doing any of the daily or assigned homework yet passing tests pretty handily (3.8 GPA) by just paying attention in class to what as being talked about...

The CIS at TESC sounds like a good plan... I think I'll start with the Interpretting Literature CLEP and see what happens.

Where do I take CLEP tests? I'm assuming a university in my area?

Is there a list of CLEPs I can take that will benefit me in getting the CIS at TESC or is there just a bunch of research I have to do to figure out what CLEPs will count for credit and which will not.

Do I need to go ahead and apply to TESC now? Or just start taking the CLEP?

You should be able to use almost any university or community college testing center as most of them will offer their proctor services for a 20-50 dollar fee to any member of the community. If you have a particular institute that is nearby, you may want to check with them first.

If you don't have a favorite college in mind, google a few that are in your area and search for "testing center" on their sites. Call them and you'll want to find out a few things: First of all, for me, schedule is the VERY most important thing. If they aren't available at a convenient time, it makes it less likely that I'll be able to test when I'm ready. Proctor fee is another important thing - I was able to save 30 bucks per test by switching centers. The other thing that is HUGE is ease of scheduling. My first testing center that I found, in addition to being more expensive, was also very difficult to schedule. I had to go on to the testing center website 5 business days in advance, schedule my test and pay my proctor fee. If I decided that I was ready to take the test sooner or needed to postpone, I was out of luck. When I switched to a closer community college, I found that I could even call up a few hours in advance and they could usually accommodate me.

Once you've been to a testing center, keep in mind that if you're not happy, you may still have other options. While I have had good experiences with the proctors in the two testing centers I have used, this isn't always the case. If you find that someone is rude or the atmosphere is not conducive to testing, feel free to keep shopping around!

I would probably not apply to TESC right now, but there are pros and cons to enrolling sooner rather than later.

I made the choice to enroll at COSC and pay tuition as soon as I had made the mental commitment to testing (but before I had actually tested - thank goodness it worked out!). In retrospect, this was a bit risky, but I am 100% convinced that I probably wouldn't have rushed to finish if I hadn't had the threat of paying another year's tuition hanging over my head. Ironically enough, right after I rushed to finish to avoid paying more tuition, COSC responded by significantly lowering their rates, but it's all good Smile DH is taking college classes and wants to enroll at TESC, his plan is to get within 6 months or so of finishing based on his testing pace and then enroll. I don't think that there is a single right answer, but it will depend on your finances and what motivates you.

Regarding the list of tests, yes I have attached one to this message and you should just be able to go in and compare the test to the requirement on the TESC site of course with help from TESC folks here if needed.

Attached Files
.xls   Less than 1 minute ago">Tesc Guide to Credits.xls (Size: 36.5 KB / Downloads: 6)
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
BradF1979 Wrote:Thanks for all the replies... In High School I remember not doing any of the daily or assigned homework yet passing tests pretty handily (3.8 GPA) by just paying attention in class to what as being talked about...

Sounds familiar. Except homework/etc was part of our grades, so my tests were off the chart but my GPA was tanked. :mad:

Here's a PDF listing to help you plan for a TESC degree.

http://degreeplanners.com/media/TESC_Equ...Course.pdf
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,071 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Post-June 2018 TESU prices? Pelican 1 1,326 07-30-2018, 11:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  AFFORDABLE Masters Degree in Teaching/Education? acamp 14 3,896 06-21-2018, 07:44 PM
Last Post: miah
  TESU transcript post graduation Paramedic12 5 2,042 05-31-2018, 11:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My "I'm done!" post bfleshman 7 2,009 04-28-2018, 08:29 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  TESU + education course Sparrowhawk 1 955 04-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Post Grad employment stories kitkat 18 4,751 02-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  Post graduation credit banking TESU homeschoolmom1 1 1,152 01-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Last Post: davewill
  My I'm Done Post... Finally!! Synicaal 10 3,023 08-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL