Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4-day (remote) workweek
I'm not as lucky as some people who have tuition assistance, but I am lucky in the sense that I can work remotely and a 4-day workweek. Just like the people in the article, they mention it's a better balance for life and work...

Not only in the US, but other countries have this for their remote work force. I am on the hunt for ones that allow remote work and provide tuition assistance, I am eyeing some jobs on Amazon, but don't find many that interest me as much...

Link: This 84-person tech startup switched to a 4-day workweek almost 2 years ago. It's reduced burn-out, helped out working parents, and made employees more productive than ever. (msn.com)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you get paid the same for working fewer hours, I'm all for that! I've known people who worked 4-10s and that was just mentally and physically exhausting. Partiers liked it because they could go out binge drinking on Friday and not worry about having to get anything done on Saturday. People with kids had less time with family and sometimes struggled to find childcare.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
My wife works 4 10s from home. All I can say is.

I wish I was her.
So working 32 hours but getting paid for 40? Um, who's not going to agree to that?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-29-2022, 05:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So working 32 hours but getting paid for 40?  Um, who's not going to agree to that?

Everyone I know who works 4 days a week that's full time works a minimum of 10 hours a day. Some work much more such as 12-14 hours a day. So they're working 40 hours in 4 days instead of 5. They're not working 8 hours. 

My husband works 5 days a week. He has to work a minimum of 40 hours a week and it's supposed to be 8 hours each day. There are many days he works 10+ hours and is well over 40 hours. There's no additional compensation. He's actually making less by working more.
(01-29-2022, 05:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-29-2022, 05:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So working 32 hours but getting paid for 40?  Um, who's not going to agree to that?

Everyone I know who works 4 days a week that's full time works a minimum of 10 hours a day. Some work much more such as 12-14 hours a day. So they're working 40 hours in 4 days instead of 5. They're not working 8 hours. 

My husband works 5 days a week. He has to work a minimum of 40 hours a week and it's supposed to be 8 hours each day. There are many days he works 10+ hours and is well over 40 hours. There's no additional compensation. He's actually making less by working more.

The article this was about specifically said that they were not expected to do 40 hours of work, but 32 hours, a regular 8 hour day, for 4 days a week.  I never said that I knew of anyone who had that available, or whatever.  I was commenting on the article only.

"Buffer's workweek is not just four days long, but 32 hours long, meaning employees aren't expected to squeeze 40 hours of work into four days."
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
My husband works 12 hour shifts, with an 8 hour friday every two weeks. It’s a weird 2-week schedule that evens out to 80 hours every 2 weeks. He gets a 3 day weekend every other week. But I would burn out with 12 hour shifts.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
For me, I work the 4 days on and 10 hours each day. And it's basically more like 32 hours as those few extra hours are there if I needed the extra time to complete my work. In some cases, I get close to the 40 hours and most times, it's roughly the 32-37 hours... I love the flexibility of working from home as I mainly do Technical Analyst work remotely, been doing this for a few years now.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Like the book, a 4hr workweek sounds good to me!
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Take out useless meetings and it feels like I'm already on a 4 hour work week
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toyota kills physical remote start... bjcheung77 5 737 12-17-2021, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Vonne
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 686 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Telecommuting/ Remote Work Opportunities/ Familiar places yb1 10 2,109 12-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Toastmaster