Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
42 Credits, 1 month, $731 via Straighterline
Well everyone, through the liberal use of coupon codes I have now completed 42 credits in 30 days thru straighterline. I have paid $731 or $17.40 per credit including the membership fee. To put that in perspective my local cc charges about $400 per class + $100 for a book or $500 total. If your future is one of the big 3.... I cant think of a reason that is valid to not use SL. Pricing out CLEP these same 14 classes would be double the price + cost of study guides and books.

Granted I am unemployed, so I have almost 16 hours a day to dedicate to this stuff right now. But if you can plow through the SL classes successfully do it!
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ancapman's post:
  • Leonem
Congrats!! That sure is impressive!!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
What were the easiest classes? The hardest?

What was your average completion time, per course, in hours?

Any recommendations?

I'm going to "enroll" at SL soon to knock out 8-10 Gen Ed requirements for transfer to WGU and figured I'd gain some perspective if you would be so kind as to share.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
The easiest:
American Gov
US Hist 1
US Hist 2
Intro to Religion
Medical Terminology

I completed the first 4 of those in a 24 hour period, and spend about 4-5 hours on each course.

Middle Difficulty
Cultural Anthropology
Intro to Sociology
Western Civ I
Western Civ 2
Intro to Psychology
Principles of Management
Maybe spend 6-10 hours on each not hard, just takes a bit more time

More Difficult (but still easy to pass as are ALL SL classes that do not require written work or video uploads)
Statistics
Nutrition

I spent quite a bit of time on these... maybe 16 hours on nutriton and 48 hours on stats

Hardest (But still easy just has more work)
Intro to Communications

Instead of just tests, this one adds 3 speeches and an outline of your final speech. This takes a little more time and introduces subjectivity into your grade.

The truth is ALL SL classes are super easy to pass except a few. MOST have finals that are worth 30% or less of your final grade. All previous tests and quizzes are open book. Meaning there is hardly a test or quiz you shouldn't be able to pull off a 94-100 on. Which means you could get a terrible proctored final test grade and still pass the course very easily.
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
Ancapman Wrote:Well everyone, through the liberal use of coupon codes I have now completed 42 credits in 30 days thru straighterline. I have paid $731 or $17.40 per credit including the membership fee. To put that in perspective my local cc charges about $400 per class + $100 for a book or $500 total. If your future is one of the big 3.... I cant think of a reason that is valid to not use SL. Pricing out CLEP these same 14 classes would be double the price + cost of study guides and books.

Granted I am unemployed, so I have almost 16 hours a day to dedicate to this stuff right now. But if you can plow through the SL classes successfully do it!

That is basically what I did for my first degree. Feels good, doesn’t it?! Now you may want to add Shmoop to your list. My sister spent $87.68 and did as many tests as she could for 31 days. She spent about 4 - 5 hrs/day, 6 days/wk, and completed 45 credits that ended up costing $1.95/cr. Not too shabby! Now, keep in mind that Shmoop is an organized mess. She just ignored the glaring problems (like questions that ask about a referenced graph/pic and there isn’t one) and went for as many passes as she could earn. No reason to let the details bog you down. Shmoop is open-book exams, but that doesn’t mean they are easy. But with your time and determination, it sounds like a great opportunity for you to capitalize on.
Completed: 
TESU BA Social Sciences, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited)
WGU MBA in Healthcare Management (ACBSP Accredited)
In Progress: Creighton University PharmD

Ancapman, are you going for a specific degree? I assume you'll continue with SL for at least another month to reap more coupons and credits?
For me, I have about 90 credits with Straighterline, but not all of them go towards my degree. The most I did was 7 courses in a month.
Are you going to be taking any science courses or labs through them? I took all their sciences, but none of their labs...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Ancapman, are you going for a specific degree? I assume you'll continue with SL for at least another month to reap more coupons and credits?
For me, I have about 90 credits with Straighterline, but not all of them go towards my degree. The most I did was 7 courses in a month.
Are you going to be taking any science courses or labs through them? I took all their sciences, but none of their labs...
I am working towards a degree in Psychology

I have 5 more straighterline classes so I will end up with 57 credits with them, 15 with study.com in my AOS, 15 from my local community college, 14 credits transferred in from previous college work, 6 from Coopersmith, 6 from TESU, 4 thru TEEX, 3 thru Aleks and 2 via the institutes.
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
I concur on Statistics ( Business) and Nutrition being the toughest, those are the two I scored the least on, 80 and 82%. Everything else I am averaged out at 91%. I just wish there were more codes for active members vs canceling the account and then using a code. I am on my last month with only 7 classes left with SL. I am hoping I can find more which will fit into my degree plan vs going to another source.
AAS WVNCC, completed 6/17. BS plan through TESU
Straighterline
Business Ethics 3 | Western Civilization 3 |Business Accounting 3 | Org Behavior 3| Intro to Nutrition 3 |Intro to Sociology 3 |US Hist I 3 |Intro to religion 3 |Anatomy & Physiology 3 |Intro to Communication 3| Macroeconomics 3| Microeconomics 3 |Business Law 3|English Comp 1| American History II 3 | Intro to Crim Just 3| American Gov 3|Accounting I 3|Business Principles 3| Business Stats|Cultural Anthropology|American History II| Account II|
Aleks College Algebra 3
TEEX CYBER102,201,301 6
JST 6
-------------------------------------------------------
84/120 Credits

In progress
English II |Financial Accounting|Intro to Envir Science
Haha, yeah, their system is like that. That's exactly what I do, when my membership is about to expire, I cancel it. Renew the membership and use another coupon.
Otherwise, you'll just be paying membership and if you wanted to use a coupon, system may not allow purchase (membership has to be purchased at the same time).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'm curious how you used SL. Did you do all the coursework (book, SL lessons, practice quizzes, additional resources), read just the book, or just skim the book before the quizzes?

Also, thanks for sharing your success! it's an inspiration for me and I'm sure others as well!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 147 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 521 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 174 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,350 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,091 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 608 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 328 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 311 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 581 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 576 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM