Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
42 Credits, 1 month, $731 via Straighterline
Joeman200 Wrote:I'm curious how you used SL. Did you do all the coursework (book, SL lessons, practice quizzes, additional resources), read just the book, or just skim the book before the quizzes?

Also, thanks for sharing your success! it's an inspiration for me and I'm sure others as well!

I didn't do the lessons... they were not great. The textbooks I would skim for areas that I was not familiar with and also were not fluff. I also on some occasions (Statistics) supplemented with Khan Academy videos. Also remember you can learn during the quizzes... they are OPEN BOOK. And since they are electronic books finding the answer is super quick. I cannot explain how amazingly fast copy and paste are in finding either something you dont know or are unsure about and want to check your answer.
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
You're a beast. It can be done and you proved it!
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:You're a beast. It can be done and you proved it!

I merely stand on the shoulders of those who have mapped out the plan before me.
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
Ancapman Wrote:Granted I am unemployed, so I have almost 16 hours a day to dedicate to this stuff right now. But if you can plow through the SL classes successfully do it!

Did you do 15+ hours a day, every day of your membership? Did you feel like it was stressful or boring?

Can a person have many courses started and alternate between them? (1 hour of science, then 1 hour of something else, etc?)

I think I'm going to try for 24 credits in one month, and 2 of them are going to be hard for me (Calc II and C++). The two courses could take up 30-40% of the month. I won't be able to spend 15+ hours a day either Sad I hope my plan is realistic. A couple of them will be easy and a couple more I've taken before (but will have forgotten a bunch).

I was no where near using the whole 16 hours. But at times I was using close to that. You can have multiple courses going. To be fair, the lessons blow and I would recommend formclasses that you really need to master, to supplement the textbook reading with some video from Khan or many other sources. Sometimes your can find great stuff from MIT, Yale and other schools where you can get lecture from.

Straighterline isn't the best teaching tool because it doesn't force you to learn for the final test and the lessons are abysmal. Study.com has a far superior lesson based system. I was skeptical of it. I was even scoffing that I wasn't learning anything in the personal finance course. Then I got a 90% on the final. I knew almost all the material. So whomever designs their courses obviously has some serious training in Educational Psychology.

But for speed of passing courses, nothing beats Straighterline. I am unaware if they offer calc II or C++ as a course. If you really want to learn them I would say go Study.com
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
Ideas Wrote:Did you do 15+ hours a day, every day of your membership? Did you feel like it was stressful or boring?

Can a person have many courses started and alternate between them? (1 hour of science, then 1 hour of something else, etc?)

I did a total of 10 SL courses (30 credits).
Took me about maybe 9 or 10 days to do them. They were very easy. Sort of time consuming due to my wrist being on fire from my mom's old basic mouse (I am used to an ergo-dynamic sideways one for my wrist pain). Had to take breaks for pain levels...
I didn't learn much as it was mostly things I already knew from work or school prior. etc.
I used it as a tool to get the most credits I could in one month for the easiest topics I knew, then the few I needed to fill some specific slot. (like communications; and nutrition for science). All in all it was worth doing to play catch up from weeks I had to take off due to hospital stuff.

Yes, very boring for the most part.
I didn't alternate but you could do so if you wanted to. Looked like you would easily be able to do that.
I just knocked out an entire course at a time, paid the 5$ to take the exam, and moved on to the next course.
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
Ancapman Wrote:The truth is ALL SL classes are super easy to pass except a few. MOST have finals that are worth 30% or less of your final grade. All previous tests and quizzes are open book. Meaning there is hardly a test or quiz you shouldn't be able to pull off a 94-100 on. Which means you could get a terrible proctored final test grade and still pass the course very easily.

I totally get your desire to finish quickly, however that may not be in you best long term interests. Also, you never know what opportunity for enlightment or Eureka moments you may potentially lose by not taking each course as intended- certainly by just learnin during the exams. There is also a possibility of creating the impression that work that is good enough is fine, even if it could have been done better.

oh, wait, wrong thread.
No worries I have As and a except in 2 of my finals. Because of the open book policy you learn the material you didn't know prior to the test.

What I didn't do was consider just getting a 0 on a section as that would have just been lazy, unscholarly and Incomplete.
����
��
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,575 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,860 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 399 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 365 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 539 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 2,913 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219