Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
43% of Harvard's White Students are ALDC Admits
A = Athlete
L = Legacy
D = Donor
C = Children of Harvard Employees

Forty-three percent of Harvard's White student body was admitted under ALDC preferences. Out of the White students who were ALDC admits, roughly three-quarters of them did not have the qualifications to be admitted on merit. Only 16% of ALDC admits are Asian, Black, or Hispanic. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...s-smart-iq
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Why would anyone be surprised? Harvard is a legacy school. Make a small donation and your kid can go there because you went there. Lots of schools have legacies.
Not shocking.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There are indications that the age of legacy admissions is coming to an end
An end to legacy admissions? Princeton should follow Amherst College’s lead - The Princetonian (dailyprincetonian.com)
LOL, this is what I was expecting. Most Ivy schools are the same, it's not out of the ordinary, they want one of those 4 options to retain their traditional ways of providing scholarships. Look at the disparities across other Ivy schools, I would guess they would be similar, even if they were to end this later or sooner, it'll take time to get out of those traditions... only time will tell...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
From Harvard, itself
In Admissions, Harvard Favors Those Who Fund It, Internal Emails Show | News | The Harvard Crimson (thecrimson.com)
News reporting like this is both woefully irresponsible and ideologically driven. The racial animosity underlying the reporting is quite clear. The reporter simply didn't look at the study or they simply ripped the parts that support their ideology and posted them. Given the way this article has been regurgitated by various outlets, its not clear whether the journalists are lazy or inept.

The actual study simulates what admissions would look like under various conditions. The results are on Table 11 (Page 49), if anyone is interested. https://www.nber.org/papers/w26316.pdf

Under a model with no legacy preferences, white admits fall by 4%, most other races increase their admits by a similar percentage. Under a model with no athlete preference, white admits fall by 6%. Under a model with no race/legacy/athlete preference, white admits increase by 3%, African American admits decrease by 69%, Hispanic admits decrease by 42%, and Asian American admits increase by 51%.

For all the moaning about ALDC privilege, the actual impact it has on the number of white admits is minuscule. The benefits conferred by the current system on African Americans and Hispanics, and the corresponding penalty for being Asian American, is quite staggering. Of course, those results don't support the ideology of those writing the news, so they're buried, and we're left with the completely false implication that white admits would fall by 43% without ADLC preferences.
[-] The following 3 users Like alexf.1990's post:
  • bluebooger, JannikT, MSK9
(11-21-2021, 11:59 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: News reporting like this is both woefully irresponsible and ideologically driven. The racial animosity underlying the reporting is quite clear. The reporter simply didn't look at the study or they simply ripped the parts that support their ideology and posted them. Given the way this article has been regurgitated by various outlets, its not clear whether the journalists are lazy or inept.

The actual study simulates what admissions would look like under various conditions. The results are on Table 11 (Page 49), if anyone is interested. https://www.nber.org/papers/w26316.pdf

Under a model with no legacy preferences, white admits fall by 4%, most other races increase their admits by a similar percentage. Under a model with no athlete preference, white admits fall by 6%. Under a model with no race/legacy/athlete preference, white admits increase by 3%, African American admits decrease by 69%, Hispanic admits decrease by 42%, and Asian American admits increase by 51%.

For all the moaning about ALDC privilege, the actual impact it has on the number of white admits is minuscule. The benefits conferred by the current system on African Americans and Hispanics, and the corresponding penalty for being Asian American, is quite staggering. Of course, those results don't support the ideology of those writing the news, so they're buried, and we're left with the completely false implication that white admits would fall by 43% without ADLC preferences.

I guess you just skipped over this part. 

Table 10 also shows what this implies for the overall admit rate for ALDC applicants. The admit rate for all white ALDCs applicants would fall from 43.6% to 11.4%, a drop of over 30 percentage points. We can go one step further and generate an upper bound on the overall LDC admit rate for white applicants when ALDC preferences are eliminated. If we assume that all of the athletes are rejected when ALDC preferences are eliminated, it would imply that the white LDC admit rate would fall from 33.4% to less than 14%. Thus, the average marginal effect of being an LDC on admissions for white applicants is at least 19.4%. 

Legacy admissions policies were designed to be a hidden race/ethnicity preference for White Christians.

https://www.businessinsider.com/legacy-a...es-2013-10
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I would assume that if you got rid of Legacy, Asians would go up by a lot and everyone else would lose out? So that's the group that's actually getting screwed here, rather than black or Hispanic students. I know that's the case at other schools - if you use CalTech as your base. They are truly color-blind in their admissions, so they have 2x the number of Asians as MIT and other elite schools, which cap their Asian population at around 30%.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-22-2021, 03:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would assume that if you got rid of Legacy, Asians would go up by a lot and everyone else would lose out?  So that's the group that's actually getting screwed here, rather than black or Hispanic students.  I know that's the case at other schools - if you use CalTech as your base. They are truly color-blind in their admissions, so they have 2x the number of Asians as MIT and other elite schools, which cap their Asian population at around 30%.

Yes, Asians are the ones who are negatively impacted by non-merit-based admissions. A similar situation existed a century ago with Jewish students, which is why we have the LDC preferences to begin with.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,181 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 520 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 303 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Op Eds - I Vote on Plagiarism Cases at Harvard College. Gay’s Getting off Easy. posabsolute 0 294 12-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Born in a prison... now heading to Harvard... bjcheung77 3 598 07-06-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Grand Canyon Uni: 86K online students, over 960 Million in revenue. bjcheung77 1 482 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Two 16 year old students are recognized... bjcheung77 0 374 05-14-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,158 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  There's a quicker, cheaper way to go to college, but fewer students are trying it davewill 7 1,030 03-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 484 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP