Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
495 capstone BALS vs BA
So my wife is halfway through her capstone, which is the last class she needs to complete her BALS in Social Science. She will be doing a written communication assignment instead of major field test. However, she will try to complete a BA in psychology next year. Will she have to complete a new capstone class or just a major field exam?
Neither, as that's a waste of a second degree. If you go for a second degree, it will require another capstone and a residency waiver fee. That's just not worth it... I would have her take the MS Psychology at Walden - I recommended this person and they finished in 4.5 months (less than 2 terms), each term is $2700. I highly recommend a Masters over a second Bachelors any day, unless it's in something completely different that requires a Bachelors in that field to get in - example, Engineering. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...o-Learning
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680, FastTrackDegree
Why would a BALS to BA Psychology require another Capstone? They both use LIB-495 as far as I can tell from the catalog.

That being said, I agree a second degree probably isn't worth it, and she should look at a Master's instead.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(08-09-2021, 10:52 AM)Flelm Wrote: Why would a BALS to BA Psychology require another Capstone? They both use LIB-495 as far as I can tell from the catalog.

That being said, I agree a second degree probably isn't worth it, and she should look at a Master's instead.
I understand what you guys are saying, why do a BA on top of a BALS. But the question remains, if one takes LIB-495 for the BALS, why would another Lib-495 be required for BA?
I can't say with any authority, but I can't believe you would need to. However, TESU is the authority on the subject, and this might be a situation where you can send a ticket in with a very simple question. Don't make an appointment for the phone, they won't have a good answer and will push towards a Masters.

EDIT: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...of-Degrees

I could read it both ways, you need to do another capstone or it counts a second AoS. Ask TESU is all I can say, unless someone else has better knowledge.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
Why wouldn't she just get her BA in Psych now instead of as a 2nd degree?? That doesn't make a ton of sense.

I would just continue with the BALS, not apply to graduate, and then take Psych courses through Study.com/UExcel/Coopersmith and then change the degree plan and graduate with the BA in Psych - she'll save a boatload (residency waiver plus capstone if she has to retake it).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • LevelUP
(08-09-2021, 05:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why wouldn't she just get her BA in Psych now instead of as a 2nd degree??  That doesn't make a ton of sense.

I would just continue with the BALS, not apply to graduate, and then take Psych courses through Study.com/UExcel/Coopersmith and then change the degree plan and graduate with the BA in Psych - she'll save a boatload (residency waiver plus capstone if she has to retake it).

Plus if you earn that 2nd degree later 24 all new credits have to be earned after the first one is conferred. BA in Psych through TESU has readily available credit sources for the AOS.  I agree with dfrecore on this - however, bjcheung77 suggestion of going to Walden for the master with the BALS is very valid (if a master is Psych the longer term plan)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-09-2021, 05:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why wouldn't she just get her BA in Psych now instead of as a 2nd degree??  That doesn't make a ton of sense.

Yes, this. Except I would probably just change the degree plan to be BOTH Psych and the BALS and not just switch over completely. If she's almost done with the BALS anyway, you might as well. TESU will still count both as just one degree if both are obtained at the exact same time.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Don't pay your residency fee until you are done getting all the degrees you want at TESU.  No sense in paying the residency fee twice.

It seems like she wouldn't need that many courses to finish the BA in psychology if she did some psychology courses going for the Liberal Arts in social sciences. I would suggest once the capstone is finished, add BA in psychology to the degree plan and start doing Study.com courses.  At some point in 2022, she should know if she wants to finish the BA in psychology or not.

As I understand it, adding Psychology counts as a double major, you will only have 1 degree either way with 1 capstone required. 

If someone has a passion for a subject, then that's the course they should take.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
There is no reason to wait if she doesn't already have the BA in Psychology on her evaluation (you can have as many as you wish if you're enrolled - which in this case they are).  Just email advising and have them ADD the BA Psych to the evaluation now - it puts things in perceptive just how close it is to being done, and it is better than the 'what-if' tool; sometimes things don't fall where you think they would on the official evaluation.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 361 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,326 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,039 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 414 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,144 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 415 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BALS Natural Sciences/Mathematics Clarification ACR1200 14 1,144 06-12-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 878 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 661 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20