Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
6 Month UMPI BA in Management for $3,222.
(12-28-2021, 11:44 AM)eleanorliu6 Wrote: Hi @Ashkir, May i know how many courses you took on UMPI during one session? Is there any idea that only take one session on UPMI?  Other courses finish on Sophia or study.com or ICC..

Appreciate it for your reply

A BLS degree has the best chances of finishing in only one session. That said, you're probably going to need 2 or 3 sessions to get all of the required classes done.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
eleanorliu6 Wrote:Hi @Ashkir, May i know how many courses you took on UMPI during one session? Is there any idea that only take one session on UPMI?  Other courses finish on Sophia or study.com or ICC..

Appreciate it for your reply

@eleanorliu6, I would not try to rush thing.  Everyone has their own speed/style in learning and courses are not offered each term, you should give yourself "extra" time just in case.  I would highly recommend working on all your alternative credits that can be used towards UMPI and another college/university just in case as a back up option...

At the fastest, if all the courses are offered and you have absolutely no commitments, then it is very possible to get it done in 1 term.  But, if you have some commitments and not enough hours dedicated to your studies daily, expect that to be 2 terms, just in case "life happens" and you have to dedicate time to something else...

To help you better, if you can provide more details on your situation, we can try to assist you further.  You might want to create another thread with the information from here in regards to degree planning: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid335173
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • adrianeraldo
Hi @Ashkir, thanks so much for putting this spreadsheet together. I am feeling confident that I will use this as a template to finally get a degree. I have never enrolled into higher education so I am new to this whole thing, so grateful for any help on some very what I imagine is super basic questions to the seasoned members in this forum.

1. On row 19 to 27, it states 'Any other Sophia course' for electives 2 to 10. How will I know which electives will be credited against the UMPI bachelors? Is there a list I can review?
2. I'm not great with languages so is it possible to change Spanish I for something different altogether?
3. Should the Sophia, Study.com and InstantCert courses be completed prior to enrolling into UMPI?
4. What is the process for transferring credits - is it done pre-enrollment or post enrollment?
(04-04-2023, 03:28 PM)FM1 Wrote: Hi @Ashkir, thanks so much for putting this spreadsheet together. I am feeling confident that I will use this as a template to finally get a degree. I have never enrolled into higher education so I am new to this whole thing, so grateful for any help on some very what I imagine is super basic questions to the seasoned members in this forum.

1. On row 19 to 27, it states 'Any other Sophia course' for electives 2 to 10. How will I know which electives will be credited against the UMPI bachelors? Is there a list I can review?
2. I'm not great with languages so is it possible to change Spanish I for something different altogether?
3. Should the Sophia, Study.com and InstantCert courses be completed prior to enrolling into UMPI?
4. What is the process for transferring credits - is it done pre-enrollment or post enrollment?

This degree plan was accurate when posted, but is no longer accurate. The most current/accurate degree plans for UMPI can be found here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

IIRC, you're in the UK? If you took French or German in school, you may be able to take a CLEP exam for one of those languages. There is (or was) a public CLEP testing center near Manchester and one near London. You can study for the CLEP exam(s) using ModernStates and might be able to take the exam for free. Unfortunately, if you are unable to take a CLEP exam, Spanish from Sophia.org is currently the fastest/easiest/cheapest way to get a foreign language credit. If you want to pay more for an online class somewhere else, you can. But I would urge you to at least give Sophia's Spanish a try before you spend the money. You don't have to be great at Spanish in order to pass. It's relatively basic.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • FM1
(04-04-2023, 03:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-04-2023, 03:28 PM)FM1 Wrote: Hi @Ashkir, thanks so much for putting this spreadsheet together. I am feeling confident that I will use this as a template to finally get a degree. I have never enrolled into higher education so I am new to this whole thing, so grateful for any help on some very what I imagine is super basic questions to the seasoned members in this forum.

This degree plan was accurate when posted, but is no longer accurate. The most current/accurate degree plans for UMPI can be found here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

IIRC, you're in the UK? If you took French or German in school, you may be able to take a CLEP exam for one of those languages. There is (or was) a public CLEP testing center near Manchester and one near London. You can study for the CLEP exam(s) using ModernStates and might be able to take the exam for free. Unfortunately, if you are unable to take a CLEP exam, Spanish from Sophia.org is currently the fastest/easiest/cheapest way to get a foreign language credit. If you want to pay more for an online class somewhere else, you can. But I would urge you to at least give Sophia's Spanish a try before you spend the money. You don't have to be great at Spanish in order to pass. It's relatively basic.

Thanks for the updated link. Having looked at the BABA Management and Leadership page (I've decided not to go for a BABA in Project Management as I want to move into a different area), I'm slightly confused about a few things. I'm new to this so please bear with me for any silly questions.
  1. 1. What does the '(Duplicate)' tag denote in the Course column, e.g. under GEC Requirements table, Learning Objective 1D - English Composition I (Duplicate)
  2. 2. Given that transfer credits do not apply to all of the listed courses, e.g. GEC Requirements has a total of 40 under Competency Units Value, but the transfer credit total is 34, should we be doing only the courses where the credit transfer applies? 
  3. 3. Under the Business Administration Major table, there are several rows which don't have an entry for the 'Course Providfer'. Is the assumption that the empty fields are where UMPI are the course provider?
  4. 4. I'm unclear about which electives can be taken for the 23 credits - is there list somewhere?
  5. 5. Should the Sophia, Study.com and InstantCert courses be completed prior to enrolling into UMPI?

Edit - you're correct, I'm in the UK. I'll stick to the Spanish class as you recommend since it seems like the easiest and cheapest option. Thanks.
(04-04-2023, 04:00 PM)FM1 Wrote: Thanks for the updated link. Having looked at the BABA Management and Leadership page (I've decided not to go for a BABA in Project Management as I want to move into a different area), I'm slightly confused about a few things. I'm new to this so please bear with me for any silly questions.
  1. 1. What does the '(Duplicate)' tag denote in the Course column, e.g. under GEC Requirements table, Learning Objective 1D - English Composition I (Duplicate)
  2. 2. Given that transfer credits do not apply to all of the listed courses, e.g. GEC Requirements has a total of 40 under Competency Units Value, but the transfer credit total is 34, should we be doing only the courses where the credit transfer applies? 
  3. 3. Under the Business Administration Major table, there are several rows which don't have an entry for the 'Course Providfer'. Is the assumption that the empty fields are where UMPI are the course provider?
  4. 4. I'm unclear about which electives can be taken for the 23 credits - is there list somewhere?
  5. 5. Should the Sophia, Study.com and InstantCert courses be completed prior to enrolling into UMPI?

Edit - you're correct, I'm in the UK. I'll stick to the Spanish class as you recommend since it seems like the easiest and cheapest option. Thanks.

1. Duplicate means that it's a class already mentioned in a prior GEC requirement. Each class can meet multiple requirements, but each requirement can be met by only a single class. If you add up all of the GEC requirements, it's something like 90 credits (give or take), but you only need 40 credits total to meet credit requirements. A class like English Comp can meet 3 or 4 requirements, but is still only worth 3 credits total.
  2. You need to have at least 40 GEC credits to get a degree at UMPI.
  3. Yes. Many courses do not have a duplicate elsewhere that can be taken cheaply/easily.
  4. Literally anything that isn't used elsewhere. English Comp cannot be an elective, but Sophia's Visual Communication may be.
  5. InstantCert no longer has courses to take. Most Study.com options can be taken easier/cheaper from UMPI or Sophia, so only Sophia is generally recommended. You should complete as many courses as possible before applying to UMPI. You would need permission to transfer in classes after enrollment. This is pretty easy to obtain, but trying to focus on both UMPI and Sophia (or elsewhere) at the same time could wind up slowing you down instead of accelerating your pace.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • FM1, origamishuttle
(04-04-2023, 04:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-04-2023, 04:00 PM)FM1 Wrote: Thanks for the updated link. Having looked at the BABA Management and Leadership page (I've decided not to go for a BABA in Project Management as I want to move into a different area), I'm slightly confused about a few things. I'm new to this so please bear with me for any silly questions.

1. Duplicate means that it's a class already mentioned in a prior GEC requirement. Each class can meet multiple requirements, but each requirement can be met by only a single class. If you add up all of the GEC requirements, it's something like 90 credits (give or take), but you only need 40 credits total to meet credit requirements. A class like English Comp can meet 3 or 4 requirements, but is still only worth 3 credits total.
  2. You need to have at least 40 GEC credits to get a degree at UMPI.
  3. Yes. Many courses do not have a duplicate elsewhere that can be taken cheaply/easily.
  4. Literally anything that isn't used elsewhere. English Comp cannot be an elective, but Sophia's Visual Communication may be.
  5. InstantCert no longer has courses to take. Most Study.com options can be taken easier/cheaper from UMPI or Sophia, so only Sophia is generally recommended. You should complete as many courses as possible before applying to UMPI. You would need permission to transfer in classes after enrollment. This is pretty easy to obtain, but trying to focus on both UMPI and Sophia (or elsewhere) at the same time could wind up slowing you down instead of accelerating your pace.

Thanks so much for the detailed response, hugely appreciated! I'm going to draft up a degree plan and post it up in a day or two for feedback/critique.

Feeling really excited about this!
Very interesting idea for a way to get a degree for the cheapest possible cost. For anyone that already has at least one RA BA/BS, I found something VERY interesting on UMPI's website http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=5&navoid=188

Quote:Students entering the University of Maine at Presque Isle as degree seekers who have a completed baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution will receive transfer credit for their previous degree work and will be exempt from meeting the specific requirements of the GEC.

Which absolutely simplifies the process for anyone using this to get cheap additional degrees. All crappy gen ed classes with minimal value immediately BTFO whether there was something similar at your old school you had to take or not! Sadly, undergrad degrees I would want to get (math, computer science, data science, statistics) aren't offered by UMPI online. Sad At least not yet.
(05-01-2023, 06:45 PM)Kalas Wrote: Very interesting idea for a way to get a degree for the cheapest possible cost. For anyone that already has at least one RA BA/BS, I found something VERY interesting on UMPI's website http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=5&navoid=188

Quote:Students entering the University of Maine at Presque Isle as degree seekers who have a completed baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution will receive transfer credit for their previous degree work and will be exempt from meeting the specific requirements of the GEC.

Which absolutely simplifies the process for anyone using this to get cheap additional degrees. All crappy gen ed classes with minimal value immediately BTFO whether there was something similar at your old school you had to take or not! Sadly, undergrad degrees I would want to get (math, computer science, data science, statistics) aren't offered by UMPI online. Sad At least not yet.

Yup, we know the GEC is waived if you already have a bachelor's degree or higher. UMPI does offer a BABA in Project Management and a BLS with a MIS minor.
I tried to access the sheet , it appears it is not active?

Hey i tried to access the smart sheet but does open anymore?
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Completed UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies-Managment minor Federicojavier 6 3,535 12-24-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12