Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
650,000 jobs
(03-10-2021, 10:20 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 10:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: A degree in dead languages might be useful for certain archaeology positions. But there are probably only a handful of these positions in the whole world.

It's not even a degree. It's a minor. This is a liberal arts school. They have a lot of programs under review now because they will have 1 or 2 students in the program. Why do you have a program for so few students? They don't have business degrees, IT degrees, etc. In good times they have about 2500 students. Now it's around 2000. I have no idea how they have survived having so many programs with a handful of students. I can't imagine they're the only college like this either. With Ithaca College dropping 20 programs, you can see how much can really be trimmed away at many colleges. 

Here's another example of a university cutting programs except this time it's a group of STEM programs that are being eliminated.  
https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktake...5-programs
(03-12-2021, 07:45 AM)Alpha Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 10:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: A degree in dead languages might be useful for certain archaeology positions. But there are probably only a handful of these positions in the whole world.

It's not even a degree. It's a minor. This is a liberal arts school. They have a lot of programs under review now because they will have 1 or 2 students in the program. Why do you have a program for so few students? They don't have business degrees, IT degrees, etc. In good times they have about 2500 students. Now it's around 2000. I have no idea how they have survived having so many programs with a handful of students. I can't imagine they're the only college like this either. With Ithaca College dropping 20 programs, you can see how much can really be trimmed away at many colleges. 

Here's another example of a university cutting programs except this time it's a group of STEM programs that are being eliminated.  

The school only offers 13 majors in total and 12 of those are STEM - so they HAVE to cut STEM majors if they cut anything.  And they only have 77 students, more than half of whom are seniors in the 5 majors they're cutting.  So basically they don't have students wanting those majors.  They SHOULD be cutting them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-12-2021, 10:16 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

The school only offers 13 majors in total and 12 of those are STEM - so they HAVE to cut STEM majors if they cut anything.  And they only have 77 students, more than half of whom are seniors in the 5 majors they're cutting.  So basically they don't have students wanting those majors.  They SHOULD be cutting them.
Yeah, you're right.  A tiny school cutting programs that are allegedly in demand.  It makes me think that this school might be on its way out.
(03-12-2021, 07:45 AM)Alpha Wrote: Here's another example of a university cutting programs except this time it's a group of STEM programs that are being eliminated.  

It's not a bad thing to retire programs that aren't bringing in students though. 77 people in 5 degrees is on average 15 people per degree! That's insane. And half of those 77 are seniors which means that this fall there will be at most 38 people in those 5 degree programs which drops the average even lower down to under 8 people per degree. That is not fiscally responsible in any way. All STEM degrees aren't great at every school. 
(03-12-2021, 12:20 PM)Alpha Wrote:

Yeah, you're right.  A tiny school cutting programs that are allegedly in demand.  It makes me think that this school might be on its way out.

Or as they said, they're focusing on the degrees with the most students completing them.  I'm not sure what the deal is, this is the most perfectly natural thing in the world.  Schools should be looking at and getting rid of degrees all the time.  Every year.  Otherwise, they WILL go away because they're offering things nobody wants.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-12-2021, 04:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 12:20 PM)Alpha Wrote:

Or as they said, they're focusing on the degrees with the most students completing them.  I'm not sure what the deal is, this is the most perfectly natural thing in the world.  Schools should be looking at and getting rid of degrees all the time.  Every year.  Otherwise, they WILL go away because they're offering things nobody wants.

I think that schools/regions could cooperate so that not every school is duplicating the programs of the other schools.  There may not be enough interested students to support an Art History department at every school but systems could be developed to insure that it's an available option somewhere in the system.  That's one reason why I like state university systems.  They can manage this more easily.  Schools might become more specialized in this way, attract the best instructors and have a better chance of developing scholarly expertise within their respective areas.  I think you could pay attention to shifting demand and preserve low demand academic areas at the same time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az
I agree that unpopular doesn't necessarily mean useless or bad. Neurosurgeons are super important but they make up a relatively small amount of med school graduates. It would be bad if schools dropped neurosurgery because it wasn't "popular enough". Better transferability/availability like Alpha says would be great for things like this.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(03-12-2021, 06:44 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 04:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Or as they said, they're focusing on the degrees with the most students completing them.  I'm not sure what the deal is, this is the most perfectly natural thing in the world.  Schools should be looking at and getting rid of degrees all the time.  Every year.  Otherwise, they WILL go away because they're offering things nobody wants.

I think that schools/regions could cooperate so that not every school is duplicating the programs of the other schools.  There may not be enough interested students to support an Art History department at every school but systems could be developed to insure that it's an available option somewhere in the system.  That's one reason why I like state university systems.  They can manage this more easily.  Schools might become more specialized in this way, attract the best instructors and have a better chance of developing scholarly expertise within their respective areas.  I think you could pay attention to shifting demand and preserve low demand academic areas at the same time.

So, really, what happens, is that as a major becomes less popular, fewer schools offer it, and eventually you get a smaller number of schools that offer it, and people are funneled to those schools.  Also, as a major becomes less popular, fewer people take it, and then, eventually there are also fewer people teaching it, so schools couldn't offer it anyway.  This all makes 100% sense.  It's the market at work.

Schools have limited budgets, so they have to try to offer things more people want.  They also have to specialize and offer a few things that fewer schools offer.  So not everyone can offer everything, and that would just be silly.  Instead, they have to balance it all out.
Lots of schools are cutting programs, laying off staff, etc. but some schools are hiring.  But if you want one of those jobs you'd better make sure your passport is up to date.
So many new universities – Where will the staff come from? (universityworldnews.com)
Another one bites the dust.
Mills College To End New Admissions After This Fall And Stop Offering Four-Year Degrees In 2023 (forbes.com)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 503 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 631 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 694 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Who's applying for jobs? Amazon's hiring! bjcheung77 8 1,678 12-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  The Fastest Growing Jobs in America Don't Require a College Degree sanantone 0 1,143 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Overpaid Jobs natshar 21 4,177 01-06-2019, 01:24 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Full-Time Work from home jobs? acamp 16 3,452 12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need advice about jobs - HELP! burbuja0512 21 3,729 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: lmckown
  9 Out of 10 New Jobs are Going to Those with a College Degree sanantone 15 3,092 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  What sort of entry-level business-related jobs are there? Thorne 11 2,463 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Bibby