Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 years later
I think he's not a mind reader and doesn't know how or if you've changed your approach, so it's a reasonable question.

Based on how you described your approach and Jen's observation of your habit of asking for advice but never acting on it, I think it is a fair suggestion to do a gut check here and figure out what you're actually willing to do going forward.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • jamshid666
I understand exactly where you're coming from and think you have the right idea. Rather than picking the fastest or cheapest, you need to pick something that you can do a little at a time, and that will motivate you to stick to the grindstone. To me that sounds like either an IT or CS degree from one of the Big3. I'm going to talk about TESU because they have both BACS and BSIT. It may be that you can consider COSC as well, but I don't know as much about their offerings. That way you can plug away on it one or two courses at a time and even take short breaks without derailing entirely.

So here's how you proceed.

1. Post all of your completed credits here.
2. Apply to TESU. This is both to get your credits planned out AND to help commit you to your degree path by putting some skin in the game.
3. Send them all your transcripts.
4. It will take a long time before you hear back from them, so in the meanwhile, start getting credits that will be useful in both degrees. We'll help you with that once we see what you have.
5. Once you decide on a degree, work with us to finish planning the degree and start doing the courses at whatever pace you can sustain. Find ways to keep motivated, even if they seem silly like having a chart on the wall where you check off courses as you go.
6. DON'T STOP
7. Graduate
8. Profit... Smile

What you don't want to do is wait around looking for the perfect plan instead of getting started and getting done.

This is basically how I got my BACS. I did not have time to blitz through courses like crazy, so a competency program like WGU would have been a complete non-starter. Instead, I plugged my way through one test or course at a time. It took me about the same length of time to finish my degree as it would have if I had gone to school full time, but it didn't take anything like the time commitment that full time school would have taken. @dfrecore did her business degree in a very similar manner.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-05-2019, 06:21 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 06:15 PM)jamshid666 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 06:01 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 12:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think getting a BALS is not a great idea for you, since you already have tech experience and want a Cybersecurity degree.  2 good options are TESU (I think it's about to be full tested out of except the cornerstone/capstone) and WGU (which is able to be tested out of for the first 90 or so credits).

You just need to decide, and then get going.  The longer you wait, the longer it will take.

When you mention testing out of 90 credits at WGU, are you talking about WGU Academy?  I went to WGU briefly, but did not renew because it was going to take an "estimated 14 years" to graduate. I wouldn't take the exams until I got a 100 on the test exams, which took a long time.

Considering most certification exams only require a 65-70% to pass, going for 100% may be a bit excessive especially when you consider how much it slows your progress.  Have you considered that perhaps you should be changing your methodology since it is obvious that is either slows you down excessively or is providing you with a lame excuse as to not completing a degree?

What do you think?

What I think does not matter.  What matters is do you really want to earn your degree?  If that answer is yes, are you willing to change the habits of your past to make it so?  The members of this board, most of whom are a lot smarter than I, can only provide information to you.  But, it doesn't matter if you are provided with an entire set of encyclopedia's worth of information if you do not make the choice to act upon it.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • jsd
WGU recently updated their partners guide with Study.com.

https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...142&pid=78

Personally I plan on doing about 85 units through SDC and SL (for the scholarship). I was able to get the annual membership at SDC for 50% ($1,080 total) with code studyyear50. I'm not sure if the promo is still working, I just used it a week ago.

Also, WGU Academy will give you a voucher for the A+ certification. I believe that would cover two of the IT courses for 8 units.

You can view the general transfer guideline here:

https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSCSIA.aspx

After spending some time on this forum, I figured all this out and made a plan. Once I finish everything and start the reamining units at WGU I will try to complete my CS degree in one term. Total should cost me under 5k.
[-] The following 2 users Like CSstudent0725's post:
  • justlearning123, Life_One
(09-05-2019, 07:35 PM)jamshid666 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 06:01 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 12:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think getting a BALS is not a great idea for you, since you already have tech experience and want a Cybersecurity degree.  2 good options are TESU (I think it's about to be full tested out of except the cornerstone/capstone) and WGU (which is able to be tested out of for the first 90 or so credits).

You just need to decide, and then get going.  The longer you wait, the longer it will take.

When you mention testing out of 90 credits at WGU, are you talking about WGU Academy?  I went to WGU briefly, but did not renew because it was going to take an "estimated 14 years" to graduate. I wouldn't take the exams until I got a 100 on the test exams, which took a long time.

Considering most certification exams only require a 65-70% to pass, going for 100% may be a bit excessive especially when you consider how much it slows your progress.  Have you considered that perhaps you should be changing your methodology since it is obvious that is either slows you down excessively or is providing you with a lame excuse as to not completing a degree?

What do you think?

What I think does not matter.  What matters is do you really want to earn your degree?  If that answer is yes, are you willing to change the habits of your past to make it so?  The members of this board, most of whom are a lot smarter than I, can only provide information to you.  But, it doesn't matter if you are provided with an entire set of encyclopedia's worth of information if you do not make the choice to act upon it.

You seem unable to say anything to me without it being condescending. I will talk to other people so I don't get banned for giving you the response you seem to be looking for.

(09-05-2019, 09:16 PM)CSstudent0725 Wrote: WGU recently updated their partners guide with Study.com.  

Personally I plan on doing about 85 units through SDC and SL (for the scholarship).  I was also able to get the annual membership at SDC for 50% ($1,080 total) with code studyyear50.  I'm not sure if the promo is still working, I just used it a week ago.

Also, WGU Academy will give you a voucher for the A+ certification.  I believe that would also cover two of the IT courses for 8 units.

What is "SDC"?  I assume "SL" is StraighterLine.
(09-05-2019, 09:21 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 06:01 PM)justlearning123 Wrote: When you mention testing out of 90 credits at WGU, are you talking about WGU Academy?  I went to WGU briefly, but did not renew because it was going to take an "estimated 14 years" to graduate. I wouldn't take the exams until I got a 100 on the test exams, which took a long time.

What do you think?

You seem unable to say anything to me without it being condescending. I will talk to other people so I don't get banned for giving you the response you seem to be looking for.

(09-05-2019, 09:16 PM)CSstudent0725 Wrote: WGU recently updated their partners guide with Study.com.  

Personally I plan on doing about 85 units through SDC and SL (for the scholarship).  I was also able to get the annual membership at SDC for 50% ($1,080 total) with code studyyear50.  I'm not sure if the promo is still working, I just used it a week ago.

Also, WGU Academy will give you a voucher for the A+ certification.  I believe that would also cover two of the IT courses for 8 units.

Study.com, Yeah I was confused at first when i come to this forum as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CSstudent0725's post:
  • justlearning123
(09-05-2019, 07:22 PM)davewill Wrote: I understand exactly where you're coming from and think you have the right idea. Rather than picking the fastest or cheapest, you need to pick  something that you can do a little at a time, and that will motivate you to stick to the grindstone. To me that sounds like either an IT or CS degree from one of the Big3. I'm going to talk about TESU because they have both BACS and BSIT. It may be that you can consider COSC as well, but I don't know as much about their offerings. That way you can plug away on it one or two courses at a time and even take short breaks without derailing entirely.

2. Apply to TESU. This is both to get your credits planned out AND to help commit you to your degree path by putting some skin in the game.
4. It will take a long time before you hear back from them, so in the meanwhile, start getting credits that will be useful in both degrees. We'll help you with that once we see what you have.
5. Once you decide on a degree, work with us to finish planning the degree and start doing the courses at whatever pace you can sustain. Find ways to keep motivated, even if they seem silly like having a chart on the wall where you check off courses as you go.
6. DON'T STOP
7. Graduate
8. Profit... Smile

What you don't want to do is wait around looking for the perfect plan instead of getting started and getting done.

This is basically how I got my BACS. I did not have time to blitz through courses like crazy, so a competency program like WGU would have been a complete non-starter. Instead, I plugged my way through one test or course at a time. It took me about the same length of time to finish my degree as it would have if I had gone to school full time, but it didn't take anything like the time commitment that full time school would have taken. @dfrecore did her business degree in a very similar manner.

I was thinking along these lines earlier today. The fastest or cheapest may not necessarily be ideal for me. You are right about doing it in small chunks.  I will look at TESU again, but I was thinking about WGU. I consider it the most difficult school, but also the most technically respected.  I don't want to join for 6 months, because I don't know what my life will be like in 6 months.  I could commit to 1 month, doing either a cert or a class at "WGU Academy".   The certs would be useful as far as job-searching. I would not mind it taking me a while if the classes were immediately useful, I could start-and-stop monthly if needed, and the final result was a no-nonsense technical degree.
(09-05-2019, 09:34 PM)justlearning123 Wrote: I was thinking along these lines earlier today. The fastest or cheapest may not necessarily be ideal for me. You are right about doing it in small chunks.  I will look at TESU again, but I was thinking about WGU. I consider it the most difficult school, but also the most technically respected.  I don't want to join for 6 months, because I don't know what my life will be like in 6 months.  I could commit to 1 month, doing either a cert or a class at "WGU Academy".   The certs would be useful as far as job-searching. I would not mind it taking me a while if the classes were immediately useful, I could start-and-stop monthly if needed, and the final result was a no-nonsense technical degree.

If you go with WGU, you will have to sign up for 6 months at least once in order to finish the last 30 credits, you won't have a choice.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • justlearning123
(09-05-2019, 09:34 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 07:22 PM)davewill Wrote: I understand exactly where you're coming from and think you have the right idea. Rather than picking the fastest or cheapest, you need to pick  something that you can do a little at a time, and that will motivate you to stick to the grindstone. To me that sounds like either an IT or CS degree from one of the Big3. I'm going to talk about TESU because they have both BACS and BSIT. It may be that you can consider COSC as well, but I don't know as much about their offerings. That way you can plug away on it one or two courses at a time and even take short breaks without derailing entirely.

6. DON'T STOP
7. Graduate
8. Profit... Smile

I was thinking along these lines earlier today. The fastest or cheapest may not necessarily be ideal for me. You are right about doing it in small chunks.  I will look at TESU again, but I was thinking about WGU. I consider it the most difficult school, but also the most technically respected.  I don't want to join for 6 months, because I don't know what my life will be like in 6 months.  I could commit to 1 month, doing either a cert or a class at "WGU Academy".   The certs would be useful as far as job-searching. I would not mind it taking me a while if the classes were immediately useful, I could start-and-stop monthly if needed, and the final result was a no-nonsense technical degree.
It sounds like you should start with SL or SDC. 

I started in August with SL and ended up completing 10 units.  If I take one more class through them I should be able to apply for the partner scholarship which would give me $500 off per term at WGU.  I also believe doing 4 classes with SL gives you an extra $200 off your tuition.  At least that is what I was told by the enrollment counselor.  

With SDC, I was able to get the annual membership for just over 1k so this was a simple decision for me.  With their accelerator plan you can complete 2 courses per month so thats up to 24 classes.  I also plan on spending a couple of months going over their math content as I will need to pass calculus before I can be officially accepted into the WGU CS program.

In total it will take me about 18 months (I hope) to finish my degree starting from scratch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CSstudent0725's post:
  • justlearning123
(09-05-2019, 09:21 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 06:01 PM)justlearning123 Wrote: When you mention testing out of 90 credits at WGU, are you talking about WGU Academy?  I went to WGU briefly, but did not renew because it was going to take an "estimated 14 years" to graduate. I wouldn't take the exams until I got a 100 on the test exams, which took a long time.

What do you think?

My apologies, it was not my intent to make you angry so much as to try to determine if you are really motivated this time or if this was another fishing trip.  If you look in my signature block, you will see that I went to multiple schools myself due to the fact that there were multiple periods in my life where I started working towards a degree and did not complete it.  I'm 49 and I'm just now getting ready to finish my first BS degree at WGU.  Therefore, I am definitely not someone to judge.  That said, here are my thoughts on a possible route that would allow you to work at whatever pace you want but still be cost effective:

SDC (Study.com) is an awesome option.  It costs $200 per month and you can take up to two proctored exams during that month.  Extra exams are available for like $70 each.  You will need to look at other options as well, since the "Big 3" tend to accept a maximum of 90 SH from any single source.

However, I would recommend that you start out by studying for CLEP exams to knock out all of your general education requirements.  CLEP exams only cost $80 each, but you can request free vouchers to take the exam from Modern States (https://modernstates.org/clep-voucher-request/).  Modern States also offers free study material on their site and you can supplement their classes with used textbooks either purchased somewhere or checked out from your local library.  If you go the CLEP route, you can do everything at your own pace without recurring monthly fees that you would have to pay at SL or SDC.  Since you mentioned in your initial post that you may be getting laid off soon, this would certainly be the most cost effective route.  Once you get all of the general education requirements knocked out through the CLEP exams, then I would recommend switching to SDC to get the classes you need for your major as well as the 30 SH of upper-level requirements (though you only need to get 27 of those before applying to your chosen college, the capstone course would be the last 3 upper-level credits).
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  No degree, no worries - 50 years at AT&T for 68 year old engineer bjcheung77 6 684 10-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Scientist dies at 29 years of age... bjcheung77 4 410 10-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  7 years later - College graduation... bjcheung77 0 333 05-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Thank you for the many years of useful information vetvso 2 485 09-25-2022, 04:29 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  True to his words - Many years later, NHL Player finishes degree! bjcheung77 2 708 06-19-2022, 11:25 AM
  $250,000 in student debt after 13 years... bjcheung77 17 1,602 06-02-2022, 04:44 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  University Buys land, wait 5 years, sell it back for 2.5x profit... bjcheung77 0 505 05-16-2022, 03:06 PM
  Superstars get educated too! 13 years after starting... bjcheung77 2 589 05-16-2022, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 867 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705