Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would appreciate some WGU feedback. Degree etc
Good afternoon everybody,

I would really appreciate some advice in regards to my current degree-seeking path.

Long story short I want to finish my B.S. degree and find something meaningful....but here is my current situation.

I'm currently wrapping up enrollment at WGU and I am going for a Bachelor of Arts in Secondary Education/Physics. Computer and Astronomy has always been my passion but before that I was enrolled at Troy University online. I was planning on majoring in Applied Computer Science but life got in the way so now I am back and hoping to finish this once and for all.

I've done as much research as I can and found this forum today and must admit it is extremely helpful considering I also want to finish my degree as soon as possible.

I guess my question is....I do have a few intro computer science courses that transferred from TROY and was just having some second thoughts The Teachers College at WGU was very appealing to me but I'm barely figuring out the licencing requirements afterwards. That is my biggest fear. I was planning on licencing in Texas but might reconsider to New Mexico.

How are the IT degrees at WGU? My main priority is finishing my degree. But also perhaps it might be beneficial to look into finishing my computer-related degree like how I intended and I can look into any additional Teacher Post BS Programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I've thought about IT degrees at WGU on and off for over a year.

Step 1 you need an industry level CERT, associates,
or work 5 years in the field.

It is competency based and you go at your own pace. You will complete industry level certifications as your course finals. Meaning you will go take Comptia Security + as a final for that course. It is included in your tuition

Make sure you knock out all cleps, dsst, straighterline that they accept before enrolling to maximize your transfer credits

Techexams.net and Reddit have very active WGU commutties especially for IT.

jsd just made a post about his experience at WGU just a week ago. It's in the general subsection check it out. His experience is good so far.
As stated my experience has been great so far, but you REALLY need to be a motivated self learner and comfortable seeking out your own resources (the school provides a lot of options but sometimes they're not the best for your learning style). I'm on my 5th of 19 courses needed through them (I transferred in just under half of the credits I needed).

Like stated above, get all of the ACE credit you can transfer in BEFORE enrolling, because WGU doesn't allow any additional outside credit transfers after you're officially in. Before that time, they're pretty generous with transfer credit and alternative credit.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I'm looking into WGU as a backup plan and have specifically looked at their IT programs. Others have already stated the requirements for admission so I won't harp on that but I will say YMMV. I've heard of students with all different backgrounds and stories being accepted even without industry certifications or 5 years experience so your best bet is to speak to an enrollment counselor. IT in general isn't too degree stringent and It tends to value experience above all else. When I was looking at IT as a career change I did extensive experience and spoke to as many professionals in the field that I could find, both online an in person. I always received the same advice, forego the degree for right now and instead focus on a few basic certifications such as A+ and try to get an entry level job doing help desk or PC support type stuff. From there I was told you could find your niche and attempt to gain experience in that area. While a degree might help you get in the door it will still probably be at an entry level position. Also I'm going to disagree with what others have said about knocking out as many Gen Eds as possible before enrollment. WGU costs approx $111 a week to attend and from what I've heard Gen Eds can be knocked out quickly and sometimes within a day or two depending on your current knowledge of the subject area. A Clep exam costs $80 plus a sitting fee, which over here is $25. Obviously no guarantee that you would pass and a second attempt would cost you another $105 not to mention any costs you may incur for study materials. Please no need to argue or jump all over me for my opinion this is just how I see it and although others might take a different route this is the way I would go.
MSN-Nursing- Western Governor's University (In Progress)
BSN- Nursing- Western Governor's University
ASN- Nursing- Excelsior 
AAS- Emergency Medical Technology-Paramedic- Erie Community College
BS- Biochemistry- University at Buffalo

CLEP
Intro Psych, Intro Soc, College Composition, A&I Literature

ALEKS

Beg Alg, Int Alg, College Alg, Intro to stats

Geneva College
Intro to stats

Uexcel
Essentials of Nursing Care: Health Safety
Essentials of Nursing Care: Health Differences
Foundations in Nursing Practice
Transition to the Professional Nurse Role
Reproductive Health
Health Differences Across the Life Span 1
Health Differences Across the Life Span 2
Health Differences Across the Life Span 3
Focused Clinical Competency Assessment
Microbiology
College Writing

Torah College

Information Literacy
You "heard" you can knock out GenEds at WGU in a day? If someone takes your advice and finds they can't finish them quickly, they are stuck since WGU won't accept transfer credits earned once you've enrolled.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
heinzmoleman Wrote:Also I'm going to disagree with what others have said about knocking out as many Gen Eds as possible before enrollment. WGU costs approx $111 a week to attend and from what I've heard Gen Eds can be knocked out quickly and sometimes within a day or two depending on your current knowledge of the subject area. A Clep exam costs $80 plus a sitting fee, which over here is $25. Obviously no guarantee that you would pass and a second attempt would cost you another $105 not to mention any costs you may incur for study materials. Please no need to argue or jump all over me for my opinion this is just how I see it and although others might take a different route this is the way I would go.

I can see how this might work for some, which is why I advise to do an analysis of it before deciding. You need to figure out what you can get through quickly at WGU, and what you can get cheaply through other means, and price it all out.

The main problem with your saying to do it all at WGU is that you have no idea what the courses will be like until AFTER you enroll. If you find that you can't get through them as quickly as you'd like to, then you're kind of screwed. You will end up taking 2-3 terms instead of 1 to get through. And, unlike taking courses/exams, where you pay one/two at a time, at WGU you're paying the full $2850(?) up front. If you don't have that kind of cash lying around, it's kind of nice to be able to pay for courses/exams as you go, and save up for that last term at WGU to knock out the rest of your credits and graduate.

But hey, everyone gets to decide what works best for them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I don't think I have 5 years of IT "experience" but I do have several years working at call centers. I did do technical 1 support at AT&T and ADP. Although they were sales driven jobs I don't know if it would be pushing it to consider that as experience. I will talk to my enrollment counselor about this..

I am leaning towards possibly changing my major and finishing my degree as soon as possible. If i choose to go into education I don't see why I can't later enroll in the teacher alternation certification programs.

yb1 Wrote:I've thought about IT degrees at WGU on and off for over a year.

Step 1 you need an industry level CERT, associates,
or work 5 years in the field.

It is competency based and you go at your own pace. You will complete industry level certifications as your course finals. Meaning you will go take Comptia Security + as a final for that course. It is included in your tuition

Make sure you knock out all cleps, dsst, straighterline that they accept before enrolling to maximize your transfer credits

Techexams.net and Reddit have very active WGU commutties especially for IT.

jsd just made a post about his experience at WGU just a week ago. It's in the general subsection check it out. His experience is good so far.
It's 3years, not 5, if that's any help.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 583 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 259 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 599 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 280 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 839 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,225 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,808 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74