Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A.A.S Block Transfer
For example, out of my 64 credits from Excelsior Purdue only honored 23 credits.

>>

Ok, so that's curious because Purdue Global or Online or whatever their new name is will evaluate credits pretty much the same as any of the big 3.

When you say "honored" what do you mean exactly- you mean that they applied them to your degree? If so, what did they say/do with the rest of the 41 credits? Knowing why they didn't apply to your degree will give you good information that will help you predict how other schools will evaluate your credits. I'm not saying to NOT apply to the big 3, I'm saying you're going to drop a bunch of money doing this- and it might be helpful to share more info here first. There is probably a very simple reason why those 41 didn't work for your degree.

If you're willing, would you post the contents of your 64 credit AAS and the results of your Purdue evaluation?
(01-12-2019, 09:52 PM)cookderosa Wrote: For example, out of my 64 credits from Excelsior Purdue only honored 23 credits.

>>

Ok, so that's curious because Purdue Global or Online or whatever their new name is will evaluate credits pretty much the same as any of the big 3.

When you say "honored" what do you mean exactly- you mean that they applied them to your degree? If so, what did they say/do with the rest of the 41 credits? Knowing why they didn't apply to your degree will give you good information that will help you predict how other schools will evaluate your credits. I'm not saying to NOT apply to the big 3, I'm saying you're going to drop a bunch of money doing this- and it might be helpful to share more info here first. There is probably a very simple reason why those 41 didn't work for your degree.

If you're willing, would you post the contents of your 64 credit AAS and the results of your Purdue evaluation?

I have attached my Excelsior evaluation above.
The problem isn't that they didn't "honor" your credits, it's that the credits you had didn't apply to the degree you wanted in the way you wanted them. That will be the case for most schools - things just don't "fit" where you'd like them to.

When lots of your credits are military, allied health, lower level math, etc, that's just what's going to happen. It's a bummer, but it is what it is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • mzcutie85, TheMaskedMutant
So to put it differently, if you had 60 credits of math, you'd be in the same situation. Math credits transfer no problem, but no degree allows for 60 slots to be filled with math credits, thus they won't all fit into a new degree plan.
If, for instance, I wanted a degree in underwater basket weaving, it might ask for 6 math credits in the general education slot, and then allow 24 credits of electives- as such, only 30 credits would be eligible to fill the slots. It's not that my credits weren't honored, or that they didn't transfer, it's that I didn't choose a good place to put them.
Same hypothetical scenario - same 6 credit math requirement, same degree major, but now I find a college that allows 45 elective credits. In THIS situation, I'd get to use 51 credits - a huge improvement.

So, this is going to be a bit of a research project for you- playing with different degree plans and seeing where you can get the most bang for your buck. It will be expensive and tedious to have a college do this for you, my advice is to patiently try and do this to the best of your ability yourself. Working the credits against different plans can show you how to get the most out of your previous degree. (of course a block transfer would be great- but just watch for the snare that allows a block transfer but maintains that you still meet all the requirements, in that case you can end up needing to do more than 120 credits and you're not actually coming out ahead).
Does anyone know if Excelsior accepts block transfers for associate degrees from NA schools?
I think part of the problem of lack of transferable credits is that you have an AAS vs an AA. The other user who commented had their associate transfer had an AA. Also, WGU's block transfer policy doesn't apply for AAS (only AA and AS).

Associate of Applied Science are typically terminal degrees. Meaning you could gain employment from them without further education. Because of this, they are filled with occupational/vocational/technical type courses which generally don't transfer well. This is true even at the big 3. Like TESU for example, except for the BS tech studies or BA professional studies degrees, most of the time these types of courses would just be free electives in TESU programs.

A general AA or AS is mostly gen eds and liberal arts courses which makes it more transfer-friendly.

For the most part, block transfers don't apply to AAS degrees unless is a vocational program.

Here is an option that might work for you: http://www.utoledo.edu/online-degree-pro...ogram.html

It is a 2+2 program which requires an AAS to even pursue the degree. The school accepts ACE and NCCRS credits as well as CLEP and DSST and only requires 30 credits in residence. So this might be the closest thing you'd get to a block transfer of an AAS degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • Life_One
Trying to transfer in every course is going to hold you back. There are so many ways to get cheap credits and transfer 114 credits to TESU, Excelsior, and COSC that I would pick a bachelor's degree you like and start hammering out credits by exam. Forget about what you got. Focus on what you need to do to complete the degree you're interested in.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • cookderosa
(07-03-2019, 05:42 PM)harrypotter Wrote: Does anyone know if Excelsior accepts block transfers for associate degrees from NA schools?

None of the Big 3 accept block transfers from ANY schools.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • harrypotter
(01-09-2019, 11:32 PM)mzcutie85 Wrote: Hello everyone.

This is my first post and I don’t know where to turn. I just completed an A.A.S in Administrative/Mgmt. Studies from Excelsior within 7 months thanks to this forum.

I am looking for a flexible school to complete the fastest Bachelors that I can get. Preferably an accelerated program. I will be using my Post 9/11.

I’ve tried Purdue, Liberty, SNHU, National U and I am not happy with the evaluations. At this point in my life I will even consider an NA school.

Hey OP! I know a state university that has a program that is specifically for people with AAS degrees (even allows degrees from NA schools) and allows them to complete a BAAS. It’s at ENMU - Eastern New Mexico University.

If you have an AAS it will transfer in as a block transfer (60 credits).

Link to program:
https://www.enmu.edu/academics/degrees-p...ences-baas
BABA, New England College, 2019
(07-03-2019, 05:54 PM)natshar Wrote: I think part of the problem of lack of transferable credits is that you have an AAS vs an AA. The other user who commented had their associate transfer had an AA. Also, WGU's block transfer policy doesn't apply for AAS (only AA and AS).

Associate of Applied Science are typically terminal degrees. Meaning you could gain employment from them without further education. Because of this, they are filled with occupational/vocational/technical type courses which generally don't transfer well. This is true even at the big 3. Like TESU for example, except for the BS tech studies or BA professional studies degrees, most of the time these types of courses would just be free electives in TESU programs.

A general AA or AS is mostly gen eds and liberal arts courses which makes it more transfer-friendly.

For the most part, block transfers don't apply to AAS degrees unless is a vocational program.

Here is an option that might work for you: http://www.utoledo.edu/online-degree-pro...ogram.html

It is a 2+2 program which requires an AAS to even pursue the degree. The school accepts ACE and NCCRS credits as well as CLEP and DSST and only requires 30 credits in residence. So this might be the closest thing you'd get to a block transfer of an AAS degree.

WGU did provide me with a block transfer for my A.A.S from PierPont. It depends on WGU's program if they award the block transfer.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 688 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 501 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 694 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  MyWay Transfer Update: Non-degree awarding course provider bjcheung77 10 1,737 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 669 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Super cool transfer tool - Franklin University cookderosa 11 3,064 07-10-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do Capstones Transfer? Insert Name 5 726 07-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Transfer Credit Equivalency Alpha 1 662 05-12-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Do I have to Formally Enroll to Find Out What RA Credits Will Transfer? retro 8 980 04-13-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 756 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az