Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A.A.S Block Transfer
(07-03-2019, 05:42 PM)harrypotter Wrote: Does anyone know if Excelsior accepts block transfers for associate degrees from NA schools?

with certainty, no.
(07-06-2019, 12:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 05:42 PM)harrypotter Wrote: Does anyone know if Excelsior accepts block transfers for associate degrees from NA schools?

with certainty, no.

NONE of the Big 3 does a block transfer for any degree, from any type of school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(01-09-2019, 11:32 PM)mzcutie85 Wrote: Hello everyone.

This is my first post and I don’t know where to turn. I just completed an A.A.S in Administrative/Mgmt. Studies from Excelsior within 7 months thanks to this forum.

I am looking for a flexible school to complete the fastest Bachelors that I can get. Preferably an accelerated program. I will be using my Post 9/11.

I’ve tried Purdue, Liberty, SNHU, National U and I am not happy with the evaluations. At this point in my life I will even consider an NA school.
I'm new to this forum/self-study ed program. I want to achieve my goal of an AAS from Excelsior as you have done. Looking for guides and help information. For instance... should I have my transcripts evaluated first?
davedocmonster Wrote:I'm new to this forum/self-study ed program. I want to achieve my goal of an AAS from Excelsior as you have done. Looking for guides and help information. For instance... should I have my transcripts evaluated first?

Yes, docmonster. Get your transcripts evaluated at Excelsior first to see where you stand, then get the required credits. You need to do the Capstone at Excelsior to finish off the degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-06-2019, 01:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

with certainty, no.

NONE of the Big 3 does a block transfer for any degree, from any type of school.

I am NOT sure that is true.

Excelsior College does accept block degrees from Fayetteville Technical Community College 
The articulation agreement between Excelsior College and Fayetteville Technical Community College offers FTCC students an appropriate Excelsior baccalaureate degree, all lower level course work to the maximum allowed (approximately 105 credits) including work completed toward a FTCC associate degree and/or recognized by FTCC for work completed by its graduates at other institutions and accepted by FTCC.
https://www.faytechcc.edu/campus-life/un...-outreach/

I think Excelsior College allows 90 SH only to community college partners.  Excelsior College allows FTCC 105 SH and allows block degrees from the military students. FTCC has this with over 12 colleges including Excelsior College.  FTCC has neat programs for Army intelligence and Army Special Forces degree block degrees to Excelsior College.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(07-09-2019, 12:13 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

with certainty, no.

Excelsior College does accept block degrees from Fayetteville Technical Community College 
The articulation agreement between Excelsior College and Fayetteville Technical Community College offers FTCC students an appropriate Excelsior baccalaureate degree, all lower level course work to the maximum allowed (approximately 105 credits) including work completed toward a FTCC associate degree and/or recognized by FTCC for work completed by its graduates at other institutions and accepted by FTCC.

I think Excelsior College allows 90 SH only to community college partners.  Excelsior College allows FTCC 105 SH and allows block degrees from the military students.  FTCC has this with over 12 colleges including Excelsior College.  FTCC has neat programs for Army intelligence and Army Special Forces degree block degrees to Excelsior College.

An Articulation Agreement is not a block transfer.  It's where two schools have worked out a deal where you take specific courses at the CC and they transfer to the 4yr school.  So the 4yr school has already worked out which courses will work and which won't.

A block transfer is when no articulation agreement is in play, and a school says "we will take ANY AA/AS as meeting our GE requirements."  Some schools definitely do this.

WGU does this for many degrees, although it's not always a great deal - you need 60cr to get an AA/AS, but it only satisfies about 30cr of WGU's degree since their GE's are only about 30% of the degree.

Your link doesn't actually show the articulation agreement.  But, even if they take 105cr, you still need 30cr of UL at EC, so you'd be over on the number of credits you get.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-09-2019, 12:42 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

with certainty, no.

I think Excelsior College allows 90 SH only to community college partners.  Excelsior College allows FTCC 105 SH and allows block degrees from the military students.  FTCC has this with over 12 colleges including Excelsior College.  FTCC has neat programs for Army intelligence and Army Special Forces degree block degrees to Excelsior College.

An Articulation Agreement is not a block transfer.  It's where two schools have worked out a deal where you take specific courses at the CC and they transfer to the 4yr school.  So the 4yr school has already worked out which courses will work and which won't.

A block transfer is when no articulation agreement is in play, and a school says "we will take ANY AA/AS as meeting our GE requirements."  Some schools definitely do this.

WGU does this for many degrees, although it's not always a great deal - you need 60cr to get an AA/AS, but it only satisfies about 30cr of WGU's degree since their GE's are only about 30% of the degree.

Your link doesn't actually show the articulation agreement.  But, even if they take 105cr, you still need 30cr of UL at EC, so you'd be over on the number of credits you get.

Every college has its own rules.  There are few absolute rules in higher ed?  

ASU said they would take AS block degrees (not by YOUR definition) for only LL credits, but not the many UL "GenEd" that they required some years ago for their HSEM BS degrees.  One of two reasons I did not go with them.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(07-08-2019, 11:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
davedocmonster Wrote:I'm new to this forum/self-study ed program. I want to achieve my goal of an AAS from Excelsior as you have done. Looking for guides and help information. For instance... should I have my transcripts evaluated first?

Yes, docmonster.  Get your transcripts evaluated at Excelsior first to see where you stand, then get the required credits.  You need to do the Capstone at Excelsior to finish off the degree.
Thank you bjcheung.
(07-09-2019, 12:53 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 12:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote: with certainty, no.

ASU said they would take AS block degrees (not by YOUR definition) for only LL credits, but not the many UL "GenEd" that they required some years ago for their HSEM BS degrees.  One of two reasons I did not go with them.

I've never seen a school take a block transfer of an AA/AS that then counts that as meeting any UL requirements, even for GE courses.  They normally say they meet the GE requirements, the GE core, or that there will only be 60cr remaining to finish the degree.
(07-10-2019, 03:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-09-2019, 12:53 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 01:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: NONE of the Big 3 does a block transfer for any degree, from any type of school.

I've never seen a school take a block transfer of an AA/AS that then counts that as meeting any UL requirements, even for GE courses.  They normally say they meet the GE requirements, the GE core, or that there will only be 60cr remaining to finish the degree.

This is correct, and I don't know if I'd use the word "rule" but I'd say that with pretty strong certainty that colleges are very predictable in how they transfer credit as well as universally understanding the terms in play.

A partnership or articulation agreement is just that- both colleges/business have agreed to allow transfer credit. Articulation agreements sometimes contain a promise of transferring a full degree (AA --> BA) but can also be more specific, and transfer a set of courses (sometimes called a core or pathway) as well as certificates or diplomas. These are in writing, ALWAYS, so it's easy enough for anyone to figure it out and participate.

Block transfer- is a layman's term, it's slang and simply means (as Danika said) that a full associate's degree fills X requirements. Usually an associate degree fills the first 60 of 120. In professional programs, I've seen this flipped and used with different terms, sometimes "accelerated degree" or similar- where someone has an AAS degree and needs gen eds for a bachelor's degree. I've seen this in Bachelor of Professional X many, many times.

It's a cop-out to say that "all colleges are different" because while it's true that all colleges are allowed to be different, most of them follow slight variations on a consistent theme.

Block transfers are not common. Articulation agreements are common. Articulation agreements that include block transfers are almost always instate to instate.
NA block transfer into an RA bachelor's? That's a unicorn. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but if it does, then that's great. If I were a betting gal, I'd say that IF you find it, and IF they accept your NA AA, and IF your AA is actually an AA instead of an AOS, that they're going to charge zillions of dollars per credit for your last 60. That's just how it goes. Having an NA AA myself, I've worked this puzzle a thousand ways and I pay attention to changes in this area.

Here's the thing, it costs about $3000 to earn 90 credits using ACE/CLEP/DSST/etc. It can be done in under 12 months.
From there, the last 30 can be earned for less than $10k and again, in under 12 months. This allows for more than just the big 3, there are others in that category too.
So, if you're forcing a round peg into a square hole, that only works if it saves you time or money. If you can beat 2 years and beat $10k for an "all in" price, then go for it. But if you end up paying $60k so you can use your NA AA as a block, and STILL take 2 years to finish, what kind of innovative strategy is that? Doesn't save time and costs a heck of a lot more money.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 586 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  MyWay Transfer Update: Non-degree awarding course provider bjcheung77 10 1,714 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 649 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Super cool transfer tool - Franklin University cookderosa 11 3,005 07-10-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do Capstones Transfer? Insert Name 5 701 07-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Transfer Credit Equivalency Alpha 1 645 05-12-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Do I have to Formally Enroll to Find Out What RA Credits Will Transfer? retro 8 959 04-13-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 735 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az