Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A.A.S Block Transfer
For example, out of my 64 credits from Excelsior Purdue only honored 23 credits.

>>

Ok, so that's curious because Purdue Global or Online or whatever their new name is will evaluate credits pretty much the same as any of the big 3.

When you say "honored" what do you mean exactly- you mean that they applied them to your degree? If so, what did they say/do with the rest of the 41 credits? Knowing why they didn't apply to your degree will give you good information that will help you predict how other schools will evaluate your credits. I'm not saying to NOT apply to the big 3, I'm saying you're going to drop a bunch of money doing this- and it might be helpful to share more info here first. There is probably a very simple reason why those 41 didn't work for your degree.

If you're willing, would you post the contents of your 64 credit AAS and the results of your Purdue evaluation?
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
(01-12-2019, 09:52 PM)cookderosa Wrote: For example, out of my 64 credits from Excelsior Purdue only honored 23 credits.

>>

Ok, so that's curious because Purdue Global or Online or whatever their new name is will evaluate credits pretty much the same as any of the big 3.

When you say "honored" what do you mean exactly- you mean that they applied them to your degree? If so, what did they say/do with the rest of the 41 credits? Knowing why they didn't apply to your degree will give you good information that will help you predict how other schools will evaluate your credits. I'm not saying to NOT apply to the big 3, I'm saying you're going to drop a bunch of money doing this- and it might be helpful to share more info here first. There is probably a very simple reason why those 41 didn't work for your degree.

If you're willing, would you post the contents of your 64 credit AAS and the results of your Purdue evaluation?

I have attached my Excelsior evaluation above.
The problem isn't that they didn't "honor" your credits, it's that the credits you had didn't apply to the degree you wanted in the way you wanted them. That will be the case for most schools - things just don't "fit" where you'd like them to.

When lots of your credits are military, allied health, lower level math, etc, that's just what's going to happen. It's a bummer, but it is what it is.
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • mzcutie85, TheMaskedMutant
So to put it differently, if you had 60 credits of math, you'd be in the same situation. Math credits transfer no problem, but no degree allows for 60 slots to be filled with math credits, thus they won't all fit into a new degree plan.
If, for instance, I wanted a degree in underwater basket weaving, it might ask for 6 math credits in the general education slot, and then allow 24 credits of electives- as such, only 30 credits would be eligible to fill the slots. It's not that my credits weren't honored, or that they didn't transfer, it's that I didn't choose a good place to put them.
Same hypothetical scenario - same 6 credit math requirement, same degree major, but now I find a college that allows 45 elective credits. In THIS situation, I'd get to use 51 credits - a huge improvement.

So, this is going to be a bit of a research project for you- playing with different degree plans and seeing where you can get the most bang for your buck. It will be expensive and tedious to have a college do this for you, my advice is to patiently try and do this to the best of your ability yourself. Working the credits against different plans can show you how to get the most out of your previous degree. (of course a block transfer would be great- but just watch for the snare that allows a block transfer but maintains that you still meet all the requirements, in that case you can end up needing to do more than 120 credits and you're not actually coming out ahead).
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
[-] The following 2 users Like cookderosa's post:
  • davewill, mzcutie85

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer of final AOS credits? pws 3 151 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM
Last Post: pws
  Clock-hour transfer possible? Woodpooky 4 189 04-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  TESU SL & SDC transfer grades? All Seas 3 122 04-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Harvard Poetry Classes: TESU Transfer Problem eriehiker 11 461 04-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  TESU AS/BS Degree Plan w/test out options -ZERO TRANSFER CREDITS GED2Degree 6 425 03-22-2019, 04:32 AM
Last Post: GED2Degree
  Excelsior AP Transfer guide cstun000 4 163 03-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  AS degree transfer to TESU Acam10 1 127 03-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Last Post: mysonx3
  TESU/Study.com partnership transfer max of 90 credits? jeffreymb 6 649 01-28-2019, 02:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Courses Transfer natshar 3 235 12-23-2018, 02:11 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  119 Credits from accredited university - TESU transfer question uvwc47 19 665 12-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Last Post: MNomadic