Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Big Thank You!!!
I finished today. 51 hours total work! I recommend this class to anyone that needs three Quantitative Literacy credits. The CSM Learn platform makes learning math fun(ish). This is the future of learning.They use modern methods such as zone of proximal learning and scaffolding. The problem with traditional classes, especially math (at least for me) is they lack real world context and are little more than memorizing formulae. Then you take a high pressure three hour test that proves you have memorized these skills. I failed said test (TECEP Math for Liberal Arts), but even if I passed I guarantee if I took the same test a month later I would have 'dememorized' almost everything. I know if I revisit CSM in a month I would finish in five-ten hours (this is good). You see CSM ensures you learn and it sticks, it is just a matter of how long it will take you. Get it right when you get it right. No punitive 'what is wrong with you, you illiterate math boob?!' 

This is not an easy course! You must answer every question in every category correctly in order to finish. They throw in enough curve balls to keep you on your toes. For those of you who say 'what is with the proofreading and schedule interpretation?'. Simple they are disguising (or is it dressing up?) the same competencies that are laid out in any College Math or Liberal Arts Math: logic, critical thinking, probability, and/or gates, decimals, fractions, the whole magilla. You may not even realize that this is math (except the part that is). Words can be math!

Here is what I would do different:

1.  Slowed down, double check work. I would have 'got it right when I got it right' sooner and with less frustration. I lost a few  yellow belts with stupid mistakes that I could have fixed before submitting.

2. Worked in a quite place with no distractions. Especially for those units that have heavy math (difficult percentages). I do have high reading comprehension so I got black belts right away in those categories while watching TV and checking social media. I am guessing for some it would be the opposite with numbers coming easy.

3. Take the help! If you use study.com or Modern States you know you can half-ass it, even guess, since they are multiple choice and you get three tries on a practice test. That is not the case here. You have to get every concept right before you climb the ladder (or earn a black belt). Stop guessing, focus, take your medicine and work on understanding the concepts.

If I had followed my own advice I think I could have done this in 40 hours.

A note: I have high math and test anxiety. I mean HIGH. I get headaches,, I get grouchy (my wife always could tell when I was studying math), I really lose concentration and feel terrible about my abilities. When I say CSM was fun(ish) I mean I looked forward to working in it everyday. Also,regarding academic integrity: I was able to resist the urge to cheat. Something about this platform and concept made me stick to it and do it on my own. I think is because CSM is rooting for you and wants you to succeed, unlike every math teacher I have ever had.
[-] The following 2 users Like kevro64's post:
  • hsfamfun, natshar
(06-29-2019, 07:31 PM)TexasTink Wrote: Congrats!! That's awesome!
Thank you for helping me out with the Capstone samples. They were immensely helpful.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(06-29-2019, 09:47 PM)kevro64 Wrote: I finished today. 51 hours total work! I recommend this class to anyone that needs three Quantitative Literacy credits. The CSM Learn platform makes learning math fun(ish). This is the future of learning.They use modern methods such as zone of proximal learning and scaffolding. The problem with traditional classes, especially math (at least for me) is they lack real world context and are little more than memorizing formulae. Then you take a high pressure three hour test that proves you have memorized these skills. I failed said test (TECEP Math for Liberal Arts), but even if I passed I guarantee if I took the same test a month later I would have 'dememorized' almost everything. I know if I revisit CSM in a month I would finish in five-ten hours (this is good). You see CSM ensures you learn and it sticks, it is just a matter of how long it will take you. Get it right when you get it right. No punitive 'what is wrong with you, you illiterate math boob?!' 

This is not an easy course! You must answer every question in every category correctly in order to finish. They throw in enough curve balls to keep you on your toes. For those of you who say 'what is with the proofreading and schedule interpretation?'. Simple they are disguising (or is it dressing up?) the same competencies that are laid out in any College Math or Liberal Arts Math: logic, critical thinking, probability, and/or gates, decimals, fractions, the whole magilla. You may not even realize that this is math (except the part that is). Words can be math!

Here is what I would do different:

1.  Slowed down, double check work. I would have 'got it right when I got it right' sooner and with less frustration. I lost a few  yellow belts with stupid mistakes that I could have fixed before submitting.

2. Worked in a quite place with no distractions. Especially for those units that have heavy math (difficult percentages). I do have high reading comprehension so I got black belts right away in those categories while watching TV and checking social media. I am guessing for some it would be the opposite with numbers coming easy.

3. Take the help! If you use study.com or Modern States you know you can half-ass it, even guess, since they are multiple choice and you get three tries on a practice test. That is not the case here. You have to get every concept right before you climb the ladder (or earn a black belt). Stop guessing, focus, take your medicine and work on understanding the concepts.

If I had followed my own advice I think I could have done this in 40 hours.

A note: I have high math and test anxiety. I mean HIGH. I get headaches,, I get grouchy (my wife always could tell when I was studying math), I really lose concentration and feel terrible about my abilities. When I say CSM was fun(ish) I mean I looked forward to working in it everyday. Also,regarding academic integrity: I was able to resist the urge to cheat. Something about this platform and concept made me stick to it and do it on my own. I think is because CSM is rooting for you and wants you to succeed, unlike every math teacher I have ever had.

Hey kevro64!

Just checking, but did you mean to post this to a different thread?

HTH!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Congratulations!
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The official TESU email announcing the completion of my final academic audit came today. All’s good, and I am graduating in September. Reality is only slowly beginning to sink into me; I can’t believe I did it. Thank you everyone!
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 2 users Like Supermind's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, Muldoon