Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Free Accredited Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science – How Do We Get There?
(10-31-2022, 03:15 AM)MNomadic Wrote: An update!

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/freeco...ee-update/

In short, they have a long road ahead in order to develop all of the courses and navigate accreditation. They're anticipating the possibility of it taking a decade so don't hold your breath. Though they do plan to start releasing their first few courses in 2023(probably not accredited). Also, they plan for it to be self paced.

Things they need:

- money/donations (of course)
- teachers/instructors/professors
- course beta testers

They have their AS Mathematics and BS CS mapped out(the AS ladders right in to the BS):

Associate of Science in Mathematics
Philosophy of Knowledge
History of Computation
College Algebra
Foundations of Critical Thinking
Precalculus
Ethical Reasoning
Calculus I
English Rhetoric and Composition
Probability and Statistics I
Health and Wellness
Calculus II
Probability and Statistics II
Professional and Technical Writing
Calculus III
Discrete Mathematics
Economics of Technology and the Labor Market
Linear Algebra
Theory of Computation
Organizational Behavior
Applied Quantitative Reasoning

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
Introduction to Computer Science
Data Structures and Algorithms
Electronics and Embedded Systems
Software Design and Engineering
Computer Systems and Architecture
Relational Databases and NoSQL Systems
Fundamentals of Computer Networking
Algorithmic Design and Analysis
Applied Computer Graphics
Full-Stack Web Development
Principles of Information Security
Human-Computer Interaction
Foundations of Data Analysis
Applied Data Visualization
Foundations of Data Engineering
Supervised and Unsupervised Machine Learning
Deep Learning Methodologies
Applied Natural Language Processing
Applied Computer Vision
Software Industry Interview Preparation

The whole thing sounds exciting to me even if their goal will hard to accomplish.

That seems like a solid foundation. One of the best CS curriculums I've seen actually. The most recommended ones on here are usually lacking in either the math or CS departments; typically just an intro data algorithm course, or only calc 1.
True. As-is it's 50% CS, 25% math/stats and 25% other gen-eds. That's about as robust/thorough as one can make a BSCS.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I like this degree no general education stuff like the one from TESU, this one is focusing in a real computer science degree, If i want to learn computer science why do I need to waste my time and money in learning politics, public speaking, psicology, History Art, ethics, philosophy, a bunch of material that you can watch on Discovery Channel.
If I want to be a politician or psychologist or a historian then the degree need to be focused in that kind of stuff, I feel that I missed a lot of computer science stuff comparing a degree from TESU to a Latin American university degree I noticed is only 30% computer related material.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(11-08-2022, 07:38 AM)gams007 Wrote: I like this degree no general education stuff like the one from TESU, this one is focusing in a real computer science degree, If i want to learn computer science why do I need to waste my time and money in learning politics, public speaking, psicology, History Art, ethics, philosophy, a bunch of material that you can watch on Discovery Channel.
If I want to be a politician or psychologist or a historian then the degree need to be focused in that kind of stuff, I feel that I missed a lot of computer science stuff comparing a degree from TESU to a Latin American university degree I noticed is only 30% computer related material.

Colleges want graduates to be well rounded students. They want you to have a broadband of knowledge. There's a reason we learn history - so we don't repeat it and learn from our past. No need to become a historian and 1 history class does not make anyone a historian of any kind. Many fields overlap. Computer science can encompass a large number of subjects. For example, gaming can cover art and history depending on the game. Ethics is far from a waste of time. Unethical companies and workers find themselves in legal trouble all the time. Hello Enron!
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • MNomadic, rachel83az
(11-08-2022, 01:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-08-2022, 07:38 AM)gams007 Wrote: I like this degree no general education stuff like the one from TESU, this one is focusing in a real computer science degree, If i want to learn computer science why do I need to waste my time and money in learning politics, public speaking, psicology, History Art, ethics, philosophy, a bunch of material that you can watch on Discovery Channel.

Colleges want graduates to be well rounded students. They want you to have a broadband of knowledge. There's a reason we learn history - so we don't repeat it and learn from our past. No need to become a historian and 1 history class does not make anyone a historian of any kind. Many fields overlap. Computer science can encompass a large number of subjects. For example, gaming can cover art and history depending on the game. Ethics is far from a waste of time. Unethical companies and workers find themselves in legal trouble all the time. Hello Enron!

You are going to find similar comments from many outside the US, because we do Gen Eds too - we just do them 16-18 after graduating the equivalent to US high school at 16 and before starting college at 18. Most will then only study their own chosen subject from then on out. I do agree these classes are important, which is why in most other countries they are funded for everyone and part of the 4-18 system; because universal access is important. Not just those who attend college.

It is just a difference in systems, but many from outside the US do then become frustrated at having to pay college-level fees for classes we would typically have taken before ever arriving at a university.
[-] The following 3 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • carrythenothing, jsd, rachel83az
(11-08-2022, 02:15 PM)sarahmac Wrote:
(11-08-2022, 01:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

You are going to find similar comments from many outside the US, because we do Gen Eds too - we just do them 16-18 after graduating the equivalent to US high school at 16 and before starting college at 18. Most will then only study their own chosen subject from then on out. I do agree these classes are important, which is why in most other countries they are funded for everyone and part of the 4-18 system; because universal access is important. Not just those who attend college.

It is just a difference in systems, but many from outside the US do then become frustrated at having to pay college-level fees for classes we would typically have taken before ever arriving at a university.

My friend you are right, most of those general educations courses, I already did when I was a teenager at high school and when you go to a University they focus on a career subject. Most of the U.S degrees is like starting 2 year of high school courses for me again and then the other 2 last years are really the career focused courses. I even got at elementary school english, spanish and dutch also history, religion, ethics etc., and later at high school I got the same thing more deeply including more other material subject that are all in the general education. When you enter a university is because you have a good background of those subject so do not need to start all over again.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
See that's the one thing I like about UK degrees. Only 3 years and only classes in your chosen subject. But I like the fact you have the ability to pick what courses you want/when to take during a US degree.
International: UK
Future degree:
MSc Criminology & Criminal Psychology - Essex University
MBA - ENEB

Degrees in process:
BS Health Science 2024 - The University of the People
BSc Open (Health focus) 2023 - The Open University

Degrees completed:

BN Adult Nursing 2020 - Portsmouth University
Credits: Sophia (81)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 692 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,538 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 291 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 651 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 283 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 350 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,807 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,179 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 227 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 584 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar