Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A+I Lit essay still paper-based??
Because I switched schools, my new university now requires the essay portion of the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP. Upon getting more information from my testing center, they told me that it was paper-based, not electronic (i.e. on a computer). Is this normal, or is this just my testing center? I find it hard to believe that College Board is so outdated as to not have this in electronic format yet. Isn't the College Comp. essay electronic?

In addition, anyone have any tips for the essay portion? I'm anticipating it to be relatively easy and am only planning for a week of study.
I took it electronically, and I don't remember an option for the essay portion.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Here's what the College Board/CLEP website says about it:

An optional essay section can be taken in addition to the multiple-choice test. The essay section requires that two essays be written during a total time of 90 minutes. For the first essay, candidates are asked to analyze a short poem. For the second essay, candidates are asked to apply a generalization about literature (such as the function of a theme or a technique) to a novel, short story, or play that they have read.

Candidates are expected to write well-organized essays in clear and precise prose. The essay section is scored by faculty at the institution that requests it and is still administered in paper-and-pencil format. There is an additional fee for taking this section, payable to the institution that administers the exam.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-19-2018, 05:27 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote: Because I switched schools, my new university now requires the essay portion of the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP. Upon getting more information from my testing center, they told me that it was paper-based, not electronic (i.e. on a computer). Is this normal, or is this just my testing center? I find it hard to believe that College Board is so outdated as to not have this in electronic format yet. Isn't the College Comp. essay electronic?

In addition, anyone have any tips for the essay portion? I'm anticipating it to be relatively easy and am only planning for a week of study.

Wow! We almost never hear of someone needing the A&I essay. May I ask which college wants it?
Wow. They should update that, but I guess it's used by so few schools that they don't want the expense of converting over!

Good luck.

They probably MAIL the essay to the school as well!  Big Grin
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az
So TESU doesn't require the essay? I've been putting this CLEP off because I'm still recovering from the English comp essays.

And is it worth 6 credits at TESU without the essay?
(02-20-2018, 11:39 AM)inkleind Wrote: So TESU doesn't require the essay? I've been putting this CLEP off because I'm still recovering from the English comp essays.

TESU awards 6 credits for that exam and does NOT require the essay. The only essay TESU requires is the English comp which you've already done.
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...rogram.cfm
I didn't even know that that exam HAD an essay option - and I've been on this forum for 7 years! That should tell you how many schools require it.
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, rachel83az
(02-20-2018, 07:33 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 05:27 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote: Because I switched schools, my new university now requires the essay portion of the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP. Upon getting more information from my testing center, they told me that it was paper-based, not electronic (i.e. on a computer). Is this normal, or is this just my testing center? I find it hard to believe that College Board is so outdated as to not have this in electronic format yet. Isn't the College Comp. essay electronic?

Wow!  We almost never hear of someone needing the A&I essay. May I ask which college wants it?

Liberty University. Without the essay it is just an elective, but with the essay it counts towards ENG 102.

(02-20-2018, 11:07 AM)dfrecore Wrote: They probably MAIL the essay to the school as well!  Big Grin

Ha ha, you're probably right! I know it takes a week for College Board to send it to the testing center, so probably another week to send it to my school.

(02-20-2018, 11:39 AM)inkleind Wrote: So TESU doesn't require the essay? I've been putting this CLEP off because I'm still recovering from the English comp essays.

Correct, TESU does NOT require the essay, which is why I didn't take it in the first place. I believe it is worth 6 credits at TESU.

I would highly recommend taking it; it's a very easy test, especially so if you are strong in literature like I am. Even if you're not, it's still very doable. I think my highest CLEP score was from that test.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Phoenix to offer Competency Based Degrees elcastor21 11 1,299 10-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Which essay sounds better? ChatGPT A or a Paraphrased version B? bjcheung77 5 750 08-13-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  South Carolina High School, Toilet Paper Farce bjcheung77 2 387 05-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Am I insane for wanting to try a competency based program? Schlafen 13 1,669 01-31-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  5 Ways You Can Be Discriminated Against Based on Your College Choices LevelUP 0 735 10-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Calc based Physics needed Hometeacher628 14 1,364 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gateway U - New Competency Based Degree Provider harrypotter 19 2,320 09-12-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Online v. Classroom-based Alpha 1 509 05-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 12 2,340 03-15-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  What the New York Times College Cancel Culture Essay Gets Wrong About Censorship LevelUP 2 714 03-11-2022, 10:52 AM
Last Post: LevelUP