Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Jack of All Trades Is a Master of None??
Question 
"A Jack of All Trades Is a Master of None" is generally used as an insult.

The phrase was originally used to describe a playwright who was always hanging around the theatres. He would help with the stage, the set and the costumes. He would remember lines and try directing. This so-called jack of all trades was in fact William Shakespeare. 

The full phrase is “a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.” It was a compliment.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jodiecook/2...1af5b11c45

I'm of a manager/entrepreneurial mindset so I tend to favor learning complementary skills.  A couple of examples might be if you were going to be a teacher, learning psychology would be helpful.  Learning to code, full-stack development is good to know.

So my question to you is that do you believe it's better to focus on learning a narrow set of skills or a broad set of skills?  Are there advantages and drawbacks?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I think skills that compliment each other. I highly agree if a person wanted to be a teacher, social worker, victims advocate etc., that learning psychology would be a great compliment to that.
But I'm also the type that likes to learn a lil bit about everything and focus later or the little bits I liked more.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

I have a strong preference for learning abroad set of skills.  If you begin with this mindset, by the time you reach your prime earning years you will be able to specialize in something that you really like and are good at.  Also, if you ever decide to change career paths, you will have a more diverse background to draw upon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
When I was a kid, one of my favorite baseball players was Tom Brookens. He was normally a third basemen for the Detroit Tigers, but also played SS, 2nd base and - memorably - catcher when all three actual catchers on the team were pinch hit in a 15 inning game. The Tigers ended up winning that game after five innings with Brookens as catcher.

I have prided myself on being a utility infielder as a teacher. I have taught and created curriculum for 50+ different classes at my small rural district. I have also run the school radio station, written almost $150K in grants, called play by play on the radio for school sports events, chased a loose llama down the street, broadcast a Covid/parking lot graduation, caught a kid who had a seizure in the doorway and on and on.

During most of that time, we were a base-funded district in Michigan and I provided value because I could do lots and lots of things. One time I even kind of sort of conducted the band during a football game when the actual director couldn't make it.
Also called polymath, Renaissance man/woman, or expert generalist.

https://www.inc.com/marcel-schwantes/elo...field.html
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-26-2021, 08:15 PM)eriehiker Wrote: When I was a kid, one of my favorite baseball players was Tom Brookens.  He was normally a third basemen for the Detroit Tigers, but also played SS, 2nd base and - memorably - catcher when all three actual catchers on the team were pinch hit in a 15 inning game.  The Tigers ended up winning that game after five innings with Brookens as catcher.

I have prided myself on being a utility infielder as a teacher.  I have taught and created curriculum for 50+ different classes at my small rural district.  I have also run the school radio station, written almost $150K in grants, called play by play on the radio for school sports events, chased a loose llama down the street, broadcast a Covid/parking lot graduation, caught a kid who had a seizure in the doorway and on and on.

During most of that time, we were a base-funded district in Michigan and I provided value because I could do lots and lots of things.  One time I even kind of sort of conducted the band during a football game when the actual director couldn't make it.

One of my heroes was a guy named Karl Jaspers.  He was sometimes called "The last man who knew everything."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Jaspers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • vintage_jacket
Broad set of knowledge for sure. I have gotten myself (and sometimes my team) out of countless jams by being a generalist. Contrasted with teammates with much more focused skills who had trouble thinking outside of the box when the situation called for it.
(09-27-2021, 04:25 PM)raycathode Wrote: Broad set of knowledge for sure. I have gotten myself (and sometimes my team) out of countless jams by being a generalist. Contrasted with teammates with much more focused skills who had trouble thinking outside of the box when the situation called for it.

I concur.  Having a broad range of skills has helped me not only problem solve but also to communicate well with others at various departments. It really helps when someone for X department knows you speak their lingo, or at least understand the basics. It's like knowing a second language; the doors to a new world opens.
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024
In Progress Cert.: Google PM and IT Support | CAPM
Completed: Certificate and ALS - Community College (RA), 2022, 2023

CLEP: 5 courses | Sophia.org: 1 course | and many non-credits...
[-] The following 1 user Likes vintage_jacket's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
How bout a jack of all trades and a master of one. Goldilocks says “this one is just right “.
[-] The following 3 users Like Pats20's post:
  • Johann, Pikachu, vintage_jacket
I have always been a generalist and have a broad range of information. My skills and abilities might be considered liberal arts-based at times. However if one were to look deep enough they would find my focus to be international at heart—business, history, political science, sociology, psychology, anthropology, and various technology. My employer HR may prefer someone with a masters in a specific field but they always come to me when it doesn't work out.

So a broad set of skills has always been my focus. The downside to this for me;  is I can be easily distracted for months and even years. But being an expert generalist is how I make my money, and fix problems. Troubleshooting situations and people is more complex than technology. So having this broad base of information helps me make decisions.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acceptance for online master's for WES Canada Petrikor 29 7,560 01-25-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Master Propio in Spanish Teaching 19 Euro elcastor21 11 1,021 09-27-2023, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The Master Propio ukmercenary 16 2,080 04-10-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Juris Master Alpha 1 457 10-22-2022, 09:30 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  My master "Omni Transcript" jsd 26 6,468 09-03-2022, 02:53 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Community College Enrollment Is Down, but Skilled-Trades Programs Are Booming LevelUP 2 513 04-15-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Scrum Master Alpha 0 546 10-22-2021, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Ace Credits and Master Degrees potato patato 7 3,016 12-02-2020, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  London Metropolitan University - Master in IT ($7,500 Online. No bachelor's required) nomaduser 9 1,716 08-15-2020, 01:36 AM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  CISSP given equal status as a master's degree in Europe MNomadic 6 1,695 05-14-2020, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie