Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A.S. and A.A. dual degree
(11-09-2020, 05:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 01:24 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The AA and the ASBA are literally the same degrees. The difference is that the AA has 18-20 credits of electives while the ASBA replaces most of those electives with business courses. Otherwise, they both have the exact same GE requirements. If you're set on 2 associate's degrees, an ASNSM math or computer science and an ASBA would probably be the most useful.

There is also no guarantee that getting an associate's degree will waive any future GE requirements. It might if you get the associate and the bachelor degrees at the same school but changing requirements over the years could mean that different GE courses might be needed in the future.

Correct.  Most schools do not accept an AA or AS as a block transfer, they look at each individual course you take.  So, there is no difference between an AA or an AS except that an AA requires more humanities/social science courses, and an AS requires more Science/Math courses.

I would just get the AA from COSC, and take 12cr of RA from wherever you choose, and do a bunch of business courses for your electives.  Kills 2 birds with 1 stone, for a lot less money than TESU will cost.

Thanks for the advice.  I guess TEL Learning sounds good for the RA credits.
(11-09-2020, 12:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm... It's personal preference, I would recommend getting the BALS or BSBA and having the associates added free.  
And some people can't wait or may not be able to finish in time for the residency waiver to be used for the Bachelors.
If you really need some paper and may not finish the Bachelors, go for the Associates at COSC or Pierpont if you have RA credits.

Some would rather get a double associates rather than not getting anything at all...
I'm not here to stop you from your goals, just wanting you to not waste your energy/money and time on just the associates.
Here's a post of mine: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid321425

(11-09-2020, 10:26 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 10:13 AM)BrendaB Wrote: Thank you for the information.   BTW, I can't seem to open up the BALS sheets

You can also find a version on the wiki here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ge...egree_Plan

If you're looking at the Beginner's Guide, it's on post #28 and #31...

How do you get an Associates added for free?  I'm getting my BALS and adding an AAS Computer Studies and TESU isn't giving it to me for free.  However, when I apply for graduation I only have to pay one graduation fee combining these two.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
(11-13-2020, 01:28 PM)collegechick Wrote: How do you get an Associates added for free?  I'm getting my BALS and adding an AAS Computer Studies and TESU isn't giving it to me for free.  However, when I apply for graduation I only have to pay one graduation fee combining these two.

The AAS Computer Studies is NOT free. It's the ASNSM Computer SCIENCE that's free. The AAS has the capstone. The ASNSM does not have a capstone.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-13-2020, 01:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 01:28 PM)collegechick Wrote: How do you get an Associates added for free?  I'm getting my BALS and adding an AAS Computer Studies and TESU isn't giving it to me for free.  However, when I apply for graduation I only have to pay one graduation fee combining these two.

The AAS Computer Studies is NOT free.  It's the ASNSM Computer SCIENCE that's free. The AAS has the capstone. The ASNSM does not have a capstone.

I see.  I have much writing in my future.  Big Grin
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
(11-13-2020, 01:38 PM)collegechick Wrote:

The AAS Computer Studies is NOT free.  It's the ASNSM Computer SCIENCE that's free. The AAS has the capstone. The ASNSM does not have a capstone.

By the way, the ASBA is also a free add-on degree. If you completed all of Sophia, it only requires 3 extra classes: Managerial Accounting (you can do this through InstantCert, Davar, or SDC), Principles of Management (SDC or Davar), Introduction to Marketing (Davar or OnlineDegree).
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • collegechick

That's correct, if you choose the ASNSM Computer Science, you can re-use the exact credits from the AAS Computer Studies and not take the associates capstone. I also agree that the ASBA would be a better option than just an AA, but if you don't want to take extra courses, then get an extra AA and/or ASNSM free. BTW, what do you mean by you've got much writing to do?! Capstones are the last hurdle!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-13-2020, 02:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

That's correct, if you choose the ASNSM Computer Science, you can re-use the exact credits from the AAS Computer Studies and not take the associates capstone.  I also agree that the ASBA would be a better option than just an AA, but if you don't want to take extra courses, then get an extra AA and/or ASNSM free.  BTW, what do you mean by you've got much writing to do?!  Capstones are the last hurdle!

Thank you for this suggestion.  What is an ASNSM degree?  If it requires algebra, I'm unable to pass.
ASNSM = Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics. It does require 2 math courses which I've got filled out by Sophia Algebra and Statistics. If you've got CSM Learn and Sophia Statistics (were you the one who said you were able to pass Statistics but not Algebra?), I'd check your Academic Evaluation in OSS to see if that works. The ASBA is the same as far as math requirements.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
I just ran an evaluation for a ASNSM in Computer Science.  It says I still need 10 credits to graduate for that degree.  Yuck.  Is the reason you suggest getting an AA because it's free?  Because I think an Applied Science in Computer sounds better than another Art degree.  But I am open to constructive feedback.

(11-13-2020, 03:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote: ASNSM = Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics. It does require 2 math courses which I've got filled out by Sophia Algebra and Statistics. If you've got CSM Learn and Sophia Statistics (were you the one who said you were able to pass Statistics but not Algebra?), I'd check your Academic Evaluation in OSS to see if that works. The ASBA is the same as far as math requirements.

I've completed Stats from community college years ago.  No way am I going to burden my life for any reason to take algebra.
(11-13-2020, 03:13 PM)collegechick Wrote: I just ran an evaluation for a ASNSM in Computer Science.  It says I still need 10 credits to graduate for that degree.  Yuck.  Is the reason you suggest getting an AA because it's free?  Because I think an Applied Science in Computer sounds better than a another Art degree.  But I am open to constructive feedback.

Have you already done the TEEX credits? What are you missing? Maybe start a new thread with your ASNSM evaluation.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 607 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 504 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 528 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 400 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 380 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 340 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 301 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 659 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,410 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 626 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch