Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A degree plan for someone that has no idea what major or college they want?
I had a thought.

What would be a good degree plan for someone that has no idea what they want to do?

If you can commit just 10 min to start a college course, guess what? You're now a college student!

It's free to sign up with Sophia, and the first lesson is free for every course.
https://www.sophia.org/

Possible courses that fulfill General Ed requirements of most colleges we recommend
  • English Comp I & II
  • Public Speaking
  • Ethics
  • Environmental Science
  • Human Biology
  • College Algebra
  • Intro to IT
  • Introduction to Sociology
  • Intro to Psychology
  • U.S. Government
  • Macro/Macroeconomics
  • U.S. History I & II
Business Path (starter)
  • Intro to Business
  • Project Management
  • Principles of Management
  • Financial Accounting
Computer Science and IT(starter)
  • Introduction to Web Development
  • Introduction to Relational Databases
  • Introduction to Programming in Python
Math (starter)
  • Introduction to Statistics
  • Introduction to College Mathematics
Some Free Electives Courses for Fun or Curorsity
  • Spanish I
  • Visual Communications
  • Personal Finance
Many degree plans except for WGU have room for electives, so if a course doesn't fit a plan, it won't go to waste.

Another idea would be classes that explore different fields.

Thoughts?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 5 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • bubbleteamoo, debrag, inoele, jch, Vle045
Personally, I think that person would be better off working or getting other life experience to help them decide what they want to do. Taking GenEds aren't likely to help that much, and without a concrete goal, maintaining motivation to take courses will be a challenge.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
There are plenty of students who come here with "life experience" and who still aren't sure what degree they want/need. I'm not sure if there is a good, generic, answer to give them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Vle045
I really like the concept of a generic plan, maybe including courses that are common to the most recommended degrees? A tabular format similar to the Sophia.org Equivalency List could work. The free portion of Sophia is a clever idea to get exposure to the possibilities, although I would lean toward Modern States to start, given that it's free and CLEP is accepted at the broadest range of schools. A couple more to consider would be TADA and Saylor.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • Vle045
I have been mostly telling it people to start with Modern States as well and generally direct them towards English and math to start. I don't necessarily think a general degree is bad because there's just so many jobs now that do require just checking the box. It's nice to know what you want but sometimes people also want things that aren't readily available from many schools.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • origamishuttle
One thing to keep in mind is that every school has their own very of gen eds. There's a complete lack of consistency across the nation. Some schools will only accept CLEP or AP. Some are very selective in those as well. Some schools have time limits. I've been to a few schools who required your English and math classes to be within the last 5 years. I'm not sure what has changed in English in the last 5 years. Maybe so you might remember how to write a paper? Because you can't google that. /sarcasm.

With the list above, I wouldn't take Visual Communications. You're better off with macro and micro econ.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle, rachel83az
(05-26-2023, 09:10 AM)ss20ts Wrote: With the list above, I wouldn't take Visual Communications. You're better off with macro and micro econ.

Why not all three?  Big Grin
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(05-26-2023, 10:03 AM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 09:10 AM)ss20ts Wrote: With the list above, I wouldn't take Visual Communications. You're better off with macro and micro econ.

Why not all three?  Big Grin

Visual Communications doesn't transfer to a bunch of schools. Some only accept it as a general elective. Economics is always useful. It's far more useful in every day life than Visual Communications which isn't much of a course.
There are so many variables in play, it really depends on their age and if they're still in high school or a few years out of high school... for those still in high school, most recommended would be dual enrollment instead of the ACE we usually use. For max transfer, AP, CLEP, dual enrollment for courses that don't have AP/CLEP... up to 90 credits can be done before they graduate.

For those who have already graduated, it's best for them to complete the template/addendum so we'll know their situation and advise accordingly. I usually advise a mix/match of certs, degree, experience, the prospective student may have number of certs or a number of years experience in a field already, without knowing that, it's hard to provide a generic answer/degree to fit each person.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-25-2023, 05:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Possible courses that fulfill General Ed requirements of most colleges we recommend
  • English Comp I & II
  • Ethics
  • Environmental Science
  • College Algebra
  • Intro to IT
  • Introduction to Sociology
  • Visual Communications
  • U.S. Government
  • U.S. History I & II
Another idea would be classes that explore different fields.

Thoughts?

Most schools require more GE than you listed, so I'd add the following:

[*]Public Speaking
[*]Spanish I
[*]Intro to Statistics
[*]Intro to Sociology
[*]Human Biology
[*]Intro to Psych
[*]Macroecon or Microecon
[*]Personal Finance (not for GE, but just because it's important)

I'd probably also say that some Business courses wouldn't be a bad idea

[*]Intro to Business
[*]Principles of Management
[*]Financial Accounting
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 1 76 Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,655 Yesterday, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 180 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,527 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 576 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 200 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 620 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,072 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 239 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 245 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az