Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few TESC questions. Please help!
I'm looking at enrolling in TESC, and I will be starting with no college credits. My goal is simply to earn a bachelors degree, and I'd like to do so by testing out of as many courses as possible. A second consideration is a desire to take advantage of FEMA courses (free is good). As a result I'm leaning towards a BA in Liberal Studies.

I have a few questions to which I hope I can get some answers.

1) TESC has two different tuition plans, one for full-time students ($7,837) and one for part-time students ($2,858). Can I use the cheaper tuition plan if I am using primarily CLEP, DTTS, and FEMA?

2) The web page on tuitions mentions "up to 36 credits" each year for full-time students, while the part-time student tuition mentions "less than 24 credits" each year. How does CLEP and DTTS testing fit into this? I'm assuming that I can earn more than these thresholds per year through CLEP, DTTS, and FEMA, but I wanted to confirm it.

3) I've heard others indicate that you should hold off on enrolling until after you have already taken most of your CLEP and DTTS tests. I'm assuming the reason for this is to help ensure that you can complete your remaining testing in less than a year. Is this correct?

4) TESC's website mentions an 80 credit transfer limit for Community Colleges with 2 year programs, and 120 for Community Colleges with 4 year programs. Do these transfer limits not apply to credits acquired through CLEP, DTTS, and FEMA?
Transfer limits do not apply to Clep, Dsst. -I was told 90 for Clep, 90 for Dsst - Fema credits were 27 but I think the new is 31 (check that)
I applied for the annual tuition ($2858) after I had gotten 90+ credits - I wanted to make sure I could finish within the one year tuition period.
Do a search for TESC BA Liberal Arts degrees on this website - this degree allows for lots of testing credits.
Good luck.
Recommend that in addition to searching this forum, you go to Dcan's wiki. It combines lots of the info from this forum in an organized manner. Search "wiki" in this forum, and you'll find a link.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
The only real transfer limit is on community college credits. You only need 120 credits to complete a bachelor's, so that is all that will be applied from 4-year schools. The 32 FEMA credit limit is an artificial one. With the exception of two degree programs, FEMAs can only be used as free electives. 27 credits is the most room you'll have for free electives.

TESC has a Comprehensive Tuition Plan. This plan is cheapest for students taking more than 24 credits in TESC courses per year. It covers up to 36 credits per year in TESC TECEPs and guided study, online, e-Pack, and PLA courses. I'm not sure if they still have FlashTracks. For financial aid purposes, you need to take at least 24 credits a year in guided study and online courses in order to be considered a full-time student. The 36 credit limit is for TESC sources of credit only because this is the tuition you're paying for the courses. The amount of money you spend out of pocket for CLEP, DSST, ECE, etc has nothing to do with how much TESC is going to charge you. TESC just doesn't want to lose money on people taking an excessive number of TESC courses on the flat rate of the Comprehensive Tuition Plan.

Then, there is the Enrolled Options Plan. This is cheapest for students taking less than 24 credits in TESC courses. Basically, you're just paying the enrollment fee plus $212 per credit hour taken. If you take no TESC courses, then you pay nothing beyond the various fees. The Comprehensive Tuition Plan is a flat rate while the Enrolled Options Plan is more a la carte. This is a better explanation than full-time vs. part-time. Most of the members of this forum have chosen the Enrolled Options Plan because they tested out of or transferred in most of the requirements as opposed to taking TESC courses. Yes, most people recommend that you complete most of your tests before enrolling because the enrollment fee under the Enrolled Options Plan is only good for one year. You don't want to pay for more than one year if you aren't even taking any TESC courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,125 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,717 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,007 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,633 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,937 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  questions for my friend's son maplefu 4 1,314 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,942 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged) camjenks 5 1,628 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  TESU and Study.com partnership/discount specific questions Tripletmom 9 3,363 04-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  TESU Academic Eval (Questions - Help Please) Gloddy 6 2,086 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Gloddy