Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AA + Cert in Communications - Thoughts?
Hey guys!

Was playing around with a new idea instead of straight towards a BA in Liberal Studies w/ communications concentration @ TESU. 

I currently have 39 credits, recently signed up for 30 more through Sophia.org. That gets me way past 60 credits for an AA. The temptation to just get my AA is there. 

I'm concerned that with the changes of having to do the new long SOS-110 + the already lengthy Capstone + needing another 50+ in credits, that I'll lose momentum again since I tend to do things in enthusiastic spurts vs. slow and methodical.

I'm wondering if just getting a general AA (which doesn't require a capstone, but appears to need the SOS-110 still) + maybe the Cert in Communications (doesn't appear to require residency fee?) would be a good angle? Then if I am still up for a BA, I can apply all that I've done towards it still?

It looks like when I later go for my BA, I'd just have to pay for another residency fee, capstone and other credits needed? I don't think I'd have to do the SOS-110 again.

Thoughts? I know it sounds terrible, but I was just wondering getting SOMETHING would be better than nothing, since that is likely given my patterns.

Thanks,

Danielle

P.S. My job doesn't require any degree, I am doing all this for personal satisfaction. Additionally, I am an NJ resident, so some of the Study.com discounts are as deep for me.
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
I think that's a mighty expensive way to go about things for personal satisfaction (paying 2 residency waivers?? The cost continues to climb, so next time around it may be a lot more). Also, you won't be required to retake SOS-110, but if you're not sure when/if you're going to pull the trigger, I wouldn't take that until you're closer to the end. If it takes you 3 years to decide, you don't want to have spent $1200 for a course, with the possibility that things change in the future.

Also, the Cert in Comm is not doable through alternative credits. I think only 2-3 courses are available, so it's going to cost and arm and a leg to get that cert.

Instead, I would just map out a plan to get your degree, and go at the pace you feel comfortable with. Finish all of your GE's. Do your Free Electives. Then, at that point, you can see if there are some additional options for the Comm cert/degree that would make it cheaper/easier to complete.

Although we normally recommend applying and starting immediately, if you don't want to do that, you certainly don't have to. I took a long time to complete (paying cash along the way, plus I was not super motivated to finish as a SAHM). But I was glad I locked in the 2014/15 catalog, and took TECEP's along the way, because it tuned out to be much cheaper then than it is not (I used TECEP's for residency which was available back then).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-23-2019, 03:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Also, the Cert in Comm is not doable through alternative credits.  I think only 2-3 courses are available, so it's going to cost and arm and a leg to get that cert.
Oh! I had no idea!!! Thank you so much! In that case, I will completely remove the communications concentration from the BA. I recently re-enrolled this past week and will request that they revise - THANK YOU!!!
Also, thanks for the insight that it's ok this may take longer than I expect and it took you a while as well. I am a SAHM right now and it's definitely challenging!! Thanks!
Danielle Smile
(02-23-2019, 05:13 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 03:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Also, the Cert in Comm is not doable through alternative credits.  I think only 2-3 courses are available, so it's going to cost and arm and a leg to get that cert.
Oh! I had no idea!!! Thank you so much! In that case, I will completely remove the communications concentration from the BA. I recently re-enrolled this past week and will request that they revise - THANK YOU!!!
Also, thanks for the insight that it's ok this may take longer than I expect and it took you a while as well. I am a SAHM right now and it's definitely challenging!! Thanks!
Danielle Smile

Take your time, and remember to take a TECEP every 12 months or so (so register in 10 months and take it before 12 months is up).  That's all you need to do to keep your enrollment going, and your catalog locked in.

There really is no rush, so don't think you have to keep up with others on here who go crazy with credits.  Especially if you're paying cash, your family's needs come first, and sometimes there just won't be the money to pay for a month of whatever or a test.  That's ok.  Just keep plugging away.  Take as many CLEP and free stuff that you can.  Try some Saylor exams.  Start throwing spare change in a jar, a al cookderosa, and when you get $100, go take a DSST; or if you get $200, sign up for a month or SL or Study.com.

Good luck!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
separate and apart from all the moving parts of planning a degree, I want to encourage you to consider moving ahead with either an associate's or a bachelor's degree. I'm still a SAHM but with the exception of my culinary degree right out of high school, all of my education credentials were earned while momming. It's good for the brain, it's good for the soul, and it's good for your self-confidence. Having been in your shoes, I would say to do it as cheaply as possible of course, and for sure don't do anything crazy like get a loan, but if you're going to have a hobby, building a stack of credits is every bit as good as any stamp collection or garden.
Thank you, Jennifer! I feel a lot of pressure to harness this opportunity right now as I feel like it won't be around again. With my son entering Kindergarten full-time in the fall, I either go back to work full-time (to be able to contribute more) or get my degree, so obviously getting my degree is going to take a lot longer than this coming September. I have to come to terms with that, put my nose to the grindstone, just believe that I can do everything needed and have the staying power to see it through (which I lack!).

Thanks again!

Danielle Smile
(02-24-2019, 05:26 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Thank you, Jennifer! I feel a lot of pressure to harness this opportunity right now as I feel like it won't be around again. With my son entering Kindergarten full-time in the fall, I either go back to work full-time (to be able to contribute more) or get my degree, so obviously getting my degree is going to take a lot longer than this coming September.  I have to come to terms with that, put my nose to the grindstone, just believe that I can do everything needed and have the staying power to see it through (which I lack!).

Thanks again!

Danielle Smile

You will have a TON of free time on your hands, and the perfect thing to do with it all is to study, and earn college credit!  Also, if you have dedicated time each day to do it, it's actually really nice to have a plan (example): 1) drop off kid at school; 2) spend 2 hours studying; 3) have lunch, plan dinner, do laundry; 4) pick kid up from school.  You could actually set your days like this, and get a TON of credits completed in a short amount of time.
oh yes, I agree! Even though I have 2 part time jobs (1 more hrs than the other), things are getting a little bit more manageable in terms of my son's needs, so when he's playing by himself, I can focus on other things, which is nice! Exactly why I've renewed my interest in getting my degree and am so thankful for the opportunity right now to do so.

May I ask you ladies what your feelings are regarding degree choices for 1st or 2nd-level leaders, such as a senior/lead role or manager focused on analyzing data and improving processes? I am not into anything overarching, like business administration or organizational business. My job has a lot to do with resolving technical issues within customer support settings and I eventually want to lead/mentor again (I have a background in leadership within an entirely different industry 15 yrs ago), but degrees are not usually needed (but obviously I want one!)

I was thinking of BA in Liberal Studies with General Management concentration? Looks like I can get all UL 18 cr through SDC? My original idea was Communications concentration since that is so central to effective support work, but I understand it's not possible thru alternative credits (thank you, dfrecore)

Thanks so much to both of you!!!

Danielle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Operations Management Cert Add-on Dosada 2 206 03-26-2024, 05:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 513 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Sophia Business Communication - TESU COM-202 Intro to Business Communications BSLIONS 0 601 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BSLIONS
  TESU Communications, BA javabeanstudio 2 568 12-24-2022, 11:08 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU Project Management CERT credit from PMI Cert? vetvso 4 768 09-09-2022, 09:38 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Updated CIS Degree - Thoughts? joshypauly 7 1,414 07-27-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  New Planned Degree Forward - Thoughts Please joshypauly 16 2,745 04-07-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU LIB495 - No help, withdrawing from it. Thoughts? Coastie63j20 30 5,492 04-01-2022, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Dumber
Photo TESU - Eastern Gateway Managerial Communications creationstory 9 1,213 04-24-2021, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Flelm
  Intro to Mass Communications II equivalency? jubejuju 4 671 03-06-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: jubejuju